Page 11 of 201 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

As a former CIA operative, he’s probably got some inside knowledge about the “establishment” so colour me intrigued. This all sounds pretty good to me. By “system”, I’m assuming he means the American War Machine slash Imperialism slash the deep state and things of that nature, we’re not talking about the Patriarchy are we?

Maybe somebody set up these murders in order to justify a US “intervention” in Paradise Island…I don’t think he’d go there but we'll see

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    Really excited for this! Also like the costume tweaks quite a bit. The added white to her boots and skirt pop, nice touches.
    The skirt has had white for awhile now.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I wonder how King will handle the wonder family? Like will we see Donna, Cassie, and Yara? Artemis maybe?
    I dont think we will get much of them sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Also re: the “warrior for peace” thing, Kelly Sue DeConnick talked about this in an interview about Historia and was like, “What does that even mean? Aren’t most warriors for peace?” And I’m inclined to agree.
    Fascists have spent many decades and lots of money to promote pacifism and thats why we currently have many people claiming that fighting back against aggressor is actually bad and problematic. So it is not surprising that it spills over into entertainment/fiction as well.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Those tidbits from Kings interview make me feel better, particularly the focus on her iconic tools and her being against the system.

Singling ONLY her as anti-establishment while Superman is of the system is super eye roll worthy though, but also sadly doesn't contradict how DC has used him for a lot of his history. It's just a view we need to get away from, and hopefully isn't shared by Gunn
    I feel like what he was saying was that Superman is representative of when the system works in favor of justice and equity; that Superman is not a symbol of a corrupt system, but the ideal of the system working fairly, justly, compassionately, and humanely.
    Last edited by HotBoy; 03-11-2023 at 10:31 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I expect we'll prolly get the rest of the WonderFam some time in the book

Its common to start out with the main hero on their own to get a general feel for the book and thats when you start bringing in the other homies once you find the general rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    I feel like what he was saying was Superman was representative of when the system works in favor of justice and equity; that Superman is not a symbol of a corrupt system, but the ideal of the system working fairly, justly, compassionately, and humanely.
    This is my read as well. It’s not government stooge vs. rebel, it’s “let’s fight the corruption in the system, get rid of the rot, and make the world the best version of itself” vs. “the establishment is inherently corrupt and we need to tear it all down and build it back up.”

You could also take it more literally than that - Superman was born and raised in the US and conditioned by its ideals, even if he’s intensely critical of it. Diana’s value system is completely divorced from it, she’s a true outsider.

The Game of Thrones-esque adjective gets thrown around so casually, it’s hard to know what that exactly means.

From my creative viewpoint it’d work best for the development of the Amazon nation and city-state of Themyscira prior to arriving to the island and while dealing with the outside world up to and including the betrayals by Heracles and Theseus. I could see a storyline about some infighting within Themyscira between the different paths and futures Hippolyta and Antiope want for the Amazons working at that point, before the betrayal and split of the Amazons with Hippolyta leading her faction to the island.

That could work for me in a GoT sense, but not a bunch of mistrust, nefarious plots and power grabs while they’re on the island.

While on the island I think Simone’s The Circle worked for some dissension between the Themysciran Amazons and I don’t mind some differing views and polemics on whether the Amazons should reveal themselves to the outside world after Diana starts her mission there.

Past that, I’d have a hard time enjoying a GoT style drama between the Amazons who chose to go to Themyscira to embrace a peaceful coexistence where women could become their full selves and pursue anything they desired.

But, maybe there’s a creative avenue I’m not considering…

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    I feel like what he was saying was Superman was representative of when the system works in favor of justice and equity; that Superman is not a symbol of a corrupt system, but the ideal of the system working fairly, justly, compassionately, and humanely.
    That's a more fair way to look at it, and might be what King meant.

I'm just more in favor of a Clark who will absolutely throw his weight around and raise hell if he doesn't feel like the system is working in that regard. So Clark being part of the establishment always rings false to me the way it also does for Wonder Woman.

Hell, even Batman does what he does because he doesn't trust the establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    This is my read as well. It’s not government stooge vs. rebel, it’s “let’s fight the corruption in the system, get rid of the rot, and make the world the best version of itself” vs. “the establishment is inherently corrupt and we need to tear it all down and build it back up.”

You could also take it more literally than that - Superman was born and raised in the US and conditioned by its ideals, even if he’s intensely critical of it. Diana’s value system is completely divorced from it, she’s a true outsider.
    While Diana is more of an outsider in that regard, Superman is an outsider for humanity as a whole due to his biologically non-human brain preventing him from ever seeing the world the way humans do. So I guess out of all the human made systems he may lean more towards the US due to it being where he was raised, but he always felt a bit apart from humanity even there (there's a reason he only had 2-3 close friends his age in his regular life, but related much better to the group of alien weirdos from the 30th century). And he spends his private time in an isolated Fortress away from the rest of the human race in the most remote location possible. Even though Diana is not an American, she is still more innately human than Clark and cooperates with its systems just as much if not more than he does.

it may also depend on a reader's stance on "is Clark Kent the true person, or is it Superman?", and I tend to lean more towards the latter.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 03-11-2023 at 10:22 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbauer View Post
    Okay, so Daniel Sampere isn't playing, huh? If nothing else, this will go down in historia as one of the most gorgeous Wonder Woman runs. Though, the book has no shortage of gorgeous runs.

Just hoping that Tom King has evolved from this position:

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I expect we'll prolly get the rest of the WonderFam some time in the book

Its common to start out with the main hero on their own to get a general feel for the book and thats when you start bringing in the other homies once you find the general rhythm
    Tell that to the New 52.

I hope the "mysterious" Amazon is one of the existing rebellious Amazons from the comics. Dalma, Alkyone, Inventa, even Aresia from the JL cartoon. We've had so many in the past, there's no need to create a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Speaking of the Wonder Family what role if any will they play? Taylor has Donna, Nubia is queen so she could be a key player in King’s run given the politics, Cassie and Yara are wild cards. I don’t expect them to be consistently appearing but King did like to periodically bring in the Batfamily for his Batman run, he may do the same for the Wonders.
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I wonder how King will handle the wonder family? Like will we see Donna, Cassie, and Yara? Artemis maybe?
    I half-expect they'll just get cameos fighting AXE agents trying to deport them (although only Cassie is an actual US citizen anyways, I think. I'm not sure about Donna. How often has Yara even actually been in the US?).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    So I guess that costume she wore on the Dawn of DC poster was just for that one image.
    A lot of that poster had wonky costumes/looks.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Tell that to the New 52.

I hope the "mysterious" Amazon is one of the existing rebellious Amazons from the comics. Dalma, Alkyone, Inventa, even Aresia from the JL cartoon. We've had so many in the past, there's no need to create a new one.
    The New 52 was weird because it was entirely about the Olympians.

Like I recall someone putting it like this, it featured none of Diana's original villains, it centered solely on her facing characters from Greek Mythology. Even the First Born who is an original character is defined by being a son of Zeus and what not.

And because of how the New 52 was generally structured Diana couldn't interact with Donna as she didn't exist yet nor Cassie despite her at least being around concurrently over in Teen Titans.

A weird era all around.

Incredible Member

I haven't read King's work, but I'm still extremely excited he's taking on the book. I think AXE sounds like a great kick-off storyline that has the gravitas that I've been missing from Wonder Woman.

I only have two downsides:

1. In the interviews so far, he hasn't discussed how he feels about Diana's rogues. I hope there's a place for Circe, Ares, Dr. Poison, etc. in his Wonder Woman run.

2. I have to wait until September.

Yeah the villains are an area of concern. For Superman he only likes Lex and Darkseid, he thinks the rest of Superman’s Rogues suck. I’m not expecting that he holds much affection for Wondy’s Rogues, but I think he could write a good Ares or Circe given his other work involving gods.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/