Page 19 of 201 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast
    Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    All I'm saying I look forward to the story where Batman and Superman get stuck in a dimension where time moves differently and both have to stop themselves from giving in to temptation and stay loyal to Selena/Lois.

Y'know, so we can complete this trilogy.
    Go a step further, in my opinion. Clark and Bruce are doing the whole falling into temptation while Diana is blissfully unaware, at the firelight, Clark and Bruce goes in for the kiss, the panel goes black. Diana is asleep. When she wakes up, they're standing up looking awkwardly at the wall or something. Diana doesn't know what went down neither does the reader.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    I wonder what Wonder Woman readers are like in a broader sense, offline, in the real world. I wonder if the majority of WW readers offline are as particular about how they want Wonder Woman portrayed as those who post in online spaces. Does every Wonder Woman reader prefer the specific version they first read/fell in love with--so much so, that any alteration is met with complaint and vitriol? Or do most Wonder Woman readers go with the flow?

Which brings me to another question: Are Batman and Superman fans like this as well? Do they argue amongst themselves and complain about deviations that they feel move away from or against what they see as their fave's core? Is there another character's fandom comparable to Wonder Woman fans in terms of difficulty to please and industry reputation?

This subject is infinitely fascinating to me.

But back to Tom King: I was glad to hear him admit that in previous attempts to write Wonder Woman, he got it wrong. I'm sure he was referring to his Batman/Wonder Woman story that pretty much emulated a story from Joe Kelly about Superman and Wonder Woman from decades earlier--where Diana functioned as the rejected temptress used to establish Clark and Bruce's virtue.

All fans are like that. You'll hardly find a franchise/series where fans are happy with everything being done by the writer/creators. I see it as more fans invest time, passion, and emotions into a story, they grew attached in a way where they have their own ideas and direction for the story.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    All fans are like that. You'll hardly find a franchise/series where fans are happy with everything being done by the writer/creators. I see it as more fans invest time, passion, and emotions into a story, they grew attached in a way where they have their own ideas and direction for the story.
    Word in the industry is that Wonder Woman fans are the BeyHive of comics: a whole 'nother level of standom. LOL!

I'm not necessarily mad at that. I'm just saying...

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Someone should ask King if he has any plans to incorporate Donna and Cassie into the book at all.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Someone should ask King if he has any plans to incorporate Donna and Cassie into the book at all.
    Yes! Somebody please ask. And add Artemis and Grace, the red-headed step-children of Diana’s family.

Word in the industry is that Wonder Woman fans are the BeyHive of comics: a whole 'nother level of standom. LOL!

I don't know about that, we're quirky and hard to please and once we get a bone we don't drop it and will complain forever, but the Beyhive are actually powerful. I think DC is more annoyed by us than scared. If they feared us we wouldn't get as much bad content like Amazons Attack, Azzarello, Daddy Zeus and Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Some things I hope can be settled are her origin...I would at least like for it to be settled as the clay origin, which can be done with a simple line or at most a panel. There's no need to build a story around it.
    We are most definitely on the same boat. I'd love for the book to casually drop a line or two that reminds readers that Diana is indeed a mega-powerful creature, who started as a clay statue given life and gifts of power by several goddesses. Sorry, Mel...I don't want any male deity to be involved in Diana's creation. Nope, I don't hate men in the book, and in fact I would be quite happy if the two Trevors (Steve and Barnes) were to return, as well as Ferdinand, but Diana's emotional, mental, and spiritual foundation should be informed by an all-femme core. My ideal supporting cast for a WW would be multi-gendered, for sure, but her origin should be a fabulously femme affair.

Just my opinion, of course.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't know about that, we're quirky and hard to please and once we get a bone we don't drop it and will complain forever, but the Beyhive are actually powerful. I think DC is more annoyed by us than scared. If they feared us we wouldn't get as much bad content like Amazons Attack, Azzarello, Daddy Zeus and Jason.
    I don't think the comparison was made in terms of power, but in term of stan-ness.

Look, as a gay person I'm just gonna call it like it is...mostly-gay fandoms are built different. The comic book industry is used to the worst kinds of straight fanboys (and Snyderverse and Star Wars fanboys are an entire different level of awful) but that doesn't prepare you for the girls/gays/theys

I wonder what Wonder Woman readers are like in a broader sense, offline, in the real world. I wonder if the majority of WW readers offline are as particular about how they want Wonder Woman portrayed as those who post in online spaces. Does every Wonder Woman reader prefer the specific version they first read/fell in love with--so much so, that any alteration is met with complaint and vitriol? Or do most Wonder Woman readers go with the flow?

Which brings me to another question: Are Batman and Superman fans like this as well? Do they argue amongst themselves and complain about deviations that they feel move away from or against what they see as their fave's core? Is there another character's fandom comparable to Wonder Woman fans in terms of difficulty to please and industry reputation?

This subject is infinitely fascinating to me.
    Batman and Superman fans definitely argue about things. In fact, just recently I've seen a bunch of conversations about whether "American way" should be part of Superman's character and people have VERY strong opinions on it.

The difference is just that when in doubt, you can just riff on BTAS Batman or Donner Superman. No one's gonna complain about a Superman story where he's just an impossibly nice, wholesome guy who can do anything. Every version of Wonder Woman is completely different and there's no go-to characterization. Some people are hardcore Marston purists, some are all Lynda Carter nostalgia, some are firm on the Perez blueprint, some are into the n52/Zack Snyder warrior thing, and all of those versions have completely different supporting casts, personalities, values, powers/weapons, origins, etc. People aren't just looking for different nuances, they're looking for totally different characters, and some of them are such extreme deviations that they're impossible to reconcile with the others.

But back to Tom King: I was glad to hear him admit that in previous attempts to write Wonder Woman, he got it wrong. I'm sure he was referring to his Batman/Wonder Woman story that pretty much emulated a story from Joe Kelly about Superman and Wonder Woman from decades earlier--where Diana functioned as the rejected temptress used to establish Clark and Bruce's virtue.
    I think beyond that he just sorted out his take on the character. He didn't really seem to know what to do with her before, but his most recent shot at WW was the Mod Era story he wrote in 2021 and it makes a lot of sense in hindsight - he didn't make her an Emma Peel type, he made her a free-spirited hippie and contrasted her with a more uptight, law-abiding Clark (also the Doc Shaner art is glorious). It's an exaggerated, stylized version of his take on the characters, but it's definitely consistent with everything he's said in recent interviews.

Anyway, I really hope he pulls off what he's trying to do and makes something really great. It could easily wind up being a swing and a miss but as I've said, I really like the stuff of his that I've read and everything he's been saying has me feeling really optimistic. He's honestly in the best position since Perez to create a definitive version of the character - tons of fresh eyes are gonna be on this run plus he's one of the architects of the new movie/TV universe.

I don't think the comparison was made in terms of power, but in term of stan-ness.
    Power is what makes the Beyhive. They're tenacious and go all out to get what they want. Wonder Woman fans are the squeaky wheel hoping to get grease.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Look, as a gay person I'm just gonna call it like it is...mostly-gay fandoms are built different. The comic book industry is used to the worst kinds of straight fanboys (and Snyderverse and Star Wars fanboys are an entire different level of awful) but that doesn't prepare you for the girls/gays/theys

Batman and Superman fans definitely argue about things. In fact, just recently I've seen a bunch of conversations about whether "American way" should be part of Superman's character and people have VERY strong opinions on it.

The difference is just that when in doubt, you can just riff on BTAS Batman or Donner Superman. No one's gonna complain about a Superman story where he's just an impossibly nice, wholesome guy who can do anything. Every version of Wonder Woman is completely different and there's no go-to characterization. Some people are hardcore Marston purists, some are all Lynda Carter nostalgia, some are firm on the Perez blueprint, some are into the n52/Zack Snyder warrior thing, and all of those versions have completely different supporting casts, personalities, values, powers/weapons, origins, etc. People aren't just looking for different nuances, they're looking for totally different characters, and some of them are such extreme deviations that they're impossible to reconcile with the others.

I think beyond that he just sorted out his take on the character. He didn't really seem to know what to do with her before, but his most recent shot at WW was the Mod Era story he wrote in 2021 and it makes a lot of sense in hindsight - he didn't make her an Emma Peel type, he made her a free-spirited hippie and contrasted her with a more uptight, law-abiding Clark (also the Doc Shaner art is glorious). It's an exaggerated, stylized version of his take on the characters, but it's definitely consistent with everything he's said in recent interviews.

Anyway, I really hope he pulls off what he's trying to do and makes something really great. It could easily wind up being a swing and a miss but as I've said, I really like the stuff of his that I've read and everything he's been saying has me feeling really optimistic. He's honestly in the best position since Perez to create a definitive version of the character - tons of fresh eyes are gonna be on this run plus he's one of the architects of the new movie/TV universe.
    While this doesn't completely allay my fears it's a step in the right direction. The "honey" was a little Karen Walker but I like when Diana talks like a regular person instead of extemely formal and stiff. The free spirit characterization is one I can get behind.

I really dug your comments about hiw significant that story could be for his take.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I could definitely get behind this vision of Wonder Woman and hope you are right. I also agree that he will have more eyes on the character than probably even Perez. He's got the weight of having his Supergirl being identified as the inspiration for a movie, that's going to bring all the people out to see how he does (and some to hope he fails.) I always try to be optimistic when new creators take over, rarely am I terribly disappointed (it's happened...Azzerello, Finch, Robinson, Picolt) but I am going in with caution on his run. I really want him to surprise me.

Fantastic Member

I gagged. Diana read him. It wasn't shade, but shade came from reading. And I live. LOL!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Agreed on just about all points. Especially Diana as having a free-wheeling hippie sort of ethos. Her last line to Clark, "You're a cop," definitely seems to fit what King has said about her being an outlaw type character, trying to fight the system as opposed to working within it or for it (and yeah, the Shaner art on that story was out of this world good!).

As for Superman though, there are def fans out there that do not bow down at the altar of Donner. In fact, there's a good portion who really don't want incessant Donner nostalgia tropes in either the comics or on screen.

But back to King, I'm looking forward to it. I did not care for his Batman, but I loved his Superman (Up in the Sky) and Supergirl (Woman of Tomorrow) so I am excited to see what he can do with Diana.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Fantastic Member

Although, I gotta say: I don't know if Superman is the cop. I think Batman is the cop--especially in these particular times. I know it's cliche, but I think Superman is the boy scout. But Diana saying "I'm free" is the dopest interpretation.