Page 20 of 201 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    Although, I gotta say: I don't know if Superman is the cop. I think Batman is the cop--especially in these particular times. I know it's cliche, but I think Superman is the boy scout. But Diana saying "I'm free" is the dopest interpretation.
    Oh I agree, I don’t think he’s a cop. I don’t think King thinks that either (wouldn’t classify him as such in Up in the Sky). I see that as more King depicting how Diana thinks of him. In that particular story in that particular context anyway.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Even with Batman, I feel like they would drop the cop thing and pit him against the GCPD more if it weren't for Gordon and the Bat signal being so iconic

Although, I gotta say: I don't know if Superman is the cop. I think Batman is the cop--especially in these particular times. I know it's cliche, but I think Superman is the boy scout. But Diana saying "I'm free" is the dopest interpretation.
    Oh yeah, you can see that he looks gutted when she tells him that - he doesn't WANT to be a cop, he just comes off that way because he's a buttoned-up dork. The last page is him basically telling Lois as much (also Diana riding off in a hippie van with a bunch of strangers is perfection):

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    All I'm saying I look forward to the story where Batman and Superman get stuck in a dimension where time moves differently and both have to stop themselves from giving in to temptation and stay loyal to Selena/Lois.

Y'know, so we can complete this trilogy.
    LOLOLOL

Comment perfection.

I like “no sword, all lasso” and that she’s a rebel against the status quo commentary. He’s picking up on some aspects of Wonder Woman I’d really like to see explored in the DCU that we haven’t seen from the character in a while. Hopefully he can stick the landing doing that and integrating it with Steve and Etta, superhero action and adventure, romance, some soap operatics and supervillain shenanigans.

That round table interview was fun. Nice to hear all the creators enjoying working together and vibing on the work. Some good things could come from that and make things grander than any one person can do alone.

I’m optimistic. We’ll see what happens. ::crosses fingers::

Since a couple have commented on it, my perspective on who the trinity represent and should be:

Batman = soldier. His “war on crime” is legendary.

Superman = samaritan. AKA the “Boy Scout.” He’s the proverbial good guy who’s always going to help you out in a crisis. (HA!)

Wonder Woman = savior. She’s going to subvert unequal and inequitable parts of the status quo and support us saving us from ourselves.

They all have their paradigms that work in different ways.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Most comic stories don't.
    And I think that's the problem. Considering the character's stature, she should have one of these kinds of stories.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Since a couple have commented on it, my perspective on who the trinity represent and should be:

Batman = soldier. His “war on crime” is legendary.

Superman = samaritan. AKA the “Boy Scout.” He’s the proverbial good guy who’s always going to help you out in a crisis. (HA!)

Wonder Woman = savior. She’s going to subvert unequal and inequitable parts of the status quo and support us saving us from ourselves.

They all have their paradigms that work in different ways.
    I like the way you broke this down.

And all with the letter "s." You should copyright that.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    And I think that's the problem. Considering the character's stature, she should have one of these kinds of stories.
    Perhaps, but that doesn't really say anything about the actual quality of her stories in the first place. These stories aren't necessarily the best comics can offer (indeed such stories are likely to be found outside of the Big 2). I'd certainly call The Hiketeia a much better story than The Dark Knight Returns (Greg Rucka being a better person than Frank Miller is just icing).
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-17-2023 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I agree about Doctor Poison, but more important than her design, it's the gimmick from that run that matters. She created liquid curses by using science to dissect the cadaver of gods and mythical creatures.
    Considering Tom King is a bit of an edgelord, if he decides to use Doctor Poison, she might reach "wtf" levels of doing fucked up shit lol.

Which brings me to another question: Are Batman and Superman fans like this as well? Do they argue amongst themselves and complain about deviations that they feel move away from or against what they see as their fave's core? Is there another character's fandom comparable to Wonder Woman fans in terms of difficulty to please and industry reputation?
    Yes, Superman as far as I've seen has his fans not being too hopeful about the character, and Batman fans don't agree over how gritty and how isolated he should be lol.

Spidey would also be included, and his fans are being tortured currently lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    All I'm saying I look forward to the story where Batman and Superman get stuck in a dimension where time moves differently and both have to stop themselves from giving in to temptation and stay loyal to Selena/Lois.

Y'know, so we can complete this trilogy.
    Perfect lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I can only speak for myself, obviously, and here goes: I did indeed fall in love with Diana through the specific version[s] that I first read/watched (three sources of WW content that at some point were somewhat concurrent) the Silver Age WW comic books, the Super Friends animated show, and last but not least, Lynda Carter's glorious TV WW. None of those WW iterations could fly by her own power or had any kind of incredibly impressive feats of strength or whatnot...and yet, I am most certainly a firm defender of Diana flying and being as powerful (and respected in and off comics) as Superman.

In my head canon she is as strong and resilient as Gaea (the Earth herself), as agile as Artemis (the goddess, not the amazon), as fast as Nikē (the goddess of speed and victory, which also gave Diana the ability to fly), as smart as Athena, and as loving as Aphrodite. And she has additional abilities/equipment granted to her by some of her other divine aunties, like Amphitrite and Hestia.

You have no idea how happy I am that King expressed this about the lasso. I am super psyched because I bet he will find cool new & creative ways to use Diana's iconic accoutrement when fighting villains or adventuring around. So psyched!!!! And I say this as a reader who doesn't hate her using the sword, but HATES that DC has marketed her in such a way that most readers seem to automatically see Wonder Woman as a sword-wielding adventuress (like Red Sonja or Valkyrie are).

I don't mind sporadic uses of a sword if it was a very specific instance in which said blade could do something that Diana by herself could not (like say, she is one of the only few beings in the universe who can wield some ancient cosmic sword that was prophesied as the only instrument that could break some curse or kill some murderous mythological beast that also happened to be unkillable or some sh*t like that).
    I agree with all of this, except the Wonder Women I fell in love with were equal parts Marston, Perez, Lynda Carter and the Bronze Age José Delbo version with the giant button earrings.

jose delbo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Considering Tom King is a bit of an edgelord, if he decides to use Doctor Poison, she might reach "wtf" levels of doing fucked up shit lol.
    I hope he does, Wondy’s Rogues need to be treated as serious threats again.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You can say a lot of things about King's villains, but underpowered they are not.

Granted they receive criticism for being way overpowered (Riddler, Bane, Thomas Wayne Batman) but if we are trying to promote Diana's villains as epic badasses, having say Cheetah as an unstoppable savage juggernaut or Dr. Poison as a one person mass plague would be the way to do.

Hell this is the guy who revitalized Kite-Man and made him a big thing (Kite-Man Hell Yeah). If he does really go into a character's psychosis or mental state with his famous big dramatic lines like he has done for other characters it could lead them feeling pretty big.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 03-18-2023 at 02:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

I totally agree and would LOVE to see Dr. Poison reach WTF status. That certainly would fall in line with how Eric Luke portrayed her.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.