Page 23 of 201 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast

Amazing choice of artist and the premise for the opening arc sounds interesting. I am out of touch with recent WW lore, but I did not know there was a large enough population of amazons chilling in the U.S. to warrant an entire removal task force.

I assume this will be digging into themes of immigration. People always associate the immigrant experience metaphor with Superman, but it applies to Diana as well. Even moresoe, I'd say, since she actually had to go through the trials and tribulations of adjusting to life in a different country and culture.
    Last edited by Dipter; 03-19-2023 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    The problem with Wonder Woman is literally for decades we have had stories that every single time a new creator has come onto the book, they have jettisoned the prior cast. Even WML started over with a completely new supporting cast and then when he left, he took his cast with him (not really, but you get the idea.) Then John Byrne came on then Eric Luke came on, then we got Phil Jimenez....granted it's not always the writer's fault as I have mentioned before, several writers noted they were specifically told to not bring anyone from the previous runs. We get to a point though where a book needs a grounding, the normal guys, someone the reader can relate to. If those keep changing, it makes it harder for readers to find themselves in the stories. When someone takes over a Superman book they dont jettison Lois and Jimmy and Perry. Same with Batman...well, they did kill off Alfred (still think that was a huge mistake.)
    Even if Steve and Etta are working with military or paramilitary, there's no reason they can't still be a positive part of the story. It can help with conflict both internal and external as they have to weigh what they do with and for or against Diana or the government. I agree I would rather have an excellent story over a poor one with the same cast, but it is more than possible to make an excellent story with her cast and that is something the writer (King) should be able to manage. If Diana is taking a stand against the government, Steve and Etta absolutely should be a part of that story even if they are moral support. Taking them out of the story to insert original characters is a sign of sloppy and poor writing.
    From what I remember, WML used Julia, Vanessa, Etta and Ed Indelicato pretty extensively. It was Byrne who moved Diana to another city and replaced the whole cast with expies.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I've got a question, do you guys think the current editor will work good together with Tom King? If I remember during his Batman run, he fired his editor.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I've got a question, do you guys think the current editor will work good together with Tom King? If I remember during his Batman run, he fired his editor.
    Well first off he hasn’t done that since so it’s not like he has made a habit of doing that. Second off his editor here will by Brittany Holzher who edited his Supergirl book, so I think they’ll get along just fine.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is Checkmate military? That's what they were doing during Cloonan/Conrad's run.
    This might be a hot take, but to me all the spy agencies are worse tha the military.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    This might be a hot take, but to me all the spy agencies are worse tha the military.
    Agreed. Spying (and government-sanctioned spying, no less) also runs in direct conflict with everything Diana stands for - even the first movie understood that.

It's just another example of WW writers trying to fit a square peg in a round hole because they don't know how to handle a character who doesn't conform to a lot of typical superhero tropes.

For what it's worth Cloonan and Conrad wrote them less like spies (though Diana did infiltrate that place where they were holding Cheetah) and more like a crack team that went in and cleaned up disasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Amazing choice of artist and the premise for the opening arc sounds interesting. I am out of touch with recent WW lore, but I did not know there was a large enough population of amazons chilling in the U.S. to warrant an entire removal task force.

I assume this will be digging into themes of immigration. People always associate the immigrant experience metaphor with Superman, but it applies to Diana as well. Even moresoe, I'd say, since she actually had to go through the trials and tribulations of adjusting to life in a different country and culture.
    Excellent point.

IDK… I find an intelligence agency operating in a world of superheroes, deities, super-science, magic, etc. is an interesting premise, but I suppose it depends on the core values of the agency and how they operate.

I’ve always posited that I’d treat Steve Trevor as the antithesis of Amanda Waller. He’s a guy fighting for justice in and out of the current system alongside Diana.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 03-21-2023 at 10:09 AM.

Daniel Sampere just shared this Nubia WIP on Twitter, love it!!

That’s one Wondy Fam member confirmed. Nubia made the most sense to include what with her being queen and all. Does make me curious if King will be using post ascended Hippolyta that much for his run. Frankly I’m fine with giving the gods a rest for a while.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s one Wondy Fam member confirmed. Nubia made the most sense to include what with her being queen and all. Does make me curious if King will be using post ascended Hippolyta that much for his run. Frankly I’m fine with giving the gods a rest for a while.
    I am very ok with giving the gods a rest for a good long while, but it would be nice to see Hippolyta appear and counsel her daughter or just stop in to say hi. There doesnt need to be interference or ongoing storylines, just Hippy checking in on her daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I'd put money on the current event ending with Hippolyta coming back to life. I don't think she'll unseat Nubia as queen but they'll probably set up a new status quo for her, which Tom King may or may not use.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I'd put money on the current event ending with Hippolyta coming back to life. I don't think she'll unseat Nubia as queen but they'll probably set up a new status quo for her, which Tom King may or may not use.
    I think they should leave her there for a while. They made such a huge deal of it and nothing has been done with the concept. I say leave her where she be and let another writer have the option to do a story with her at some point in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I think they should leave her there for a while. They made such a huge deal of it and nothing has been done with the concept. I say leave her where she be and let another writer have the option to do a story with her at some point in the future.
    This is when I wished we had more than one title. More page space to have multiple storylines. I like when they mix the gods with Diana’s other supervillains. That they sometimes interact and affect one another… not all the times, but sometimes.

I’m dreaming up a storyline where a god is trying to mess with Diana or another character and Hippolyta steps in on the Godsphere plane.