Page 59 of 201 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Won't really think she'll come in the arc as King says it'll be Diana-focused. It's up to Taylor to take it in to consideration.
    They keep saying other books will be affected. Hopefully it’s someone what true in some way. Especially with Donna saying she isn’t American.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    *remembers all the times that Diana's lasso was depicted as a tool for strangling people or drawn as a noose*
    And shouldn't have been.

I did say 'best/critically acclaimed'. Those things don't tend to happen in stuff that's good.
    True, I'm just looking at it from a general basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    If she's fighting a monster a sword is fine. The problem is it used to be that a sword (and additional armor) meant she was about to face off against a serious threat, but in the recent past she was carrying because it was Tuesday, or any other day that ended in y.

It lost its gravitas and became a gimmick.
    Bingo.
    Diana wielding a sword is an automatic yawn for me because it is not an organic, character-centric element, imo, of who she is or what she stands for. Yes, let her use a bladed weapon in very specific cases for very specific tasks, but her iconography should not be the same as Red Sonja or Kill Bill's Beatrix.
    Definitely feels like a gimmick and a lazy, tired way for writers and artists to portray her as "badass."

You know of all the fault I give to Azzerello, deserved imo, Diana being a blood thirsty warrior woman who would carelessly swing a sword at civilians and was all around a poor character didn't come from his main title story. It was only ever in other books, I remember some people here talking about how there were 2 different versions of her at one time.
    Yeah, Azz pretty much ignored everything that was going on in other books. If I remember right no references were made to romance with Superman as well.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Bingo.
    Diana wielding a sword is an automatic yawn for me because it is not an organic, character-centric element, imo, of who she is or what she stands for. Yes, let her use a bladed weapon in very specific cases for very specific tasks, but her iconography should not be the same as Red Sonja or Kill Bill's Beatrix.
    Definitely feels like a gimmick and a lazy, tired way for writers and artists to portray her as "badass."
    I didn't use to give this much thought but then I realized that yeah the over usage of the sword and shield means Diana's more unique weapons get diminished.

And its like a sword is generic, at least Aquaman has a trident.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I feel like the big picture is being missed here. It wasn't just Johns that portrayed her that way. Wonder Woman was presented in a similar way when she appeared in Superman/Wonder Woman, Batwoman, & other books that she guest-starred in. Swords or other bladed weapons were almost always be used during the New 52:

She wasn't depicted as brutal or cruel in Batman, Batwoman or her own book. This was primarily an issue when Johns wrote her.

And all the instances you've brought in this comment were dealing with monsters or gods.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She wasn't depicted as brutal or cruel in Batman, Batwoman or her own book. This was primarily an issue when Johns wrote her.

And all the instances you've brought in this comment were dealing with monsters or gods.

What I'm trying to point out is that swords or bladed weapons were almost always used by Diana in the New 52. Sure, we can debate if she was "brutal" or not(depending on your POV) but that sword or some other sharp weapon was almost always pictured in Diana's hand or strapped to her body.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I think Tomasi also wrote her like Johns?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think Tomasi also wrote her like Johns?

Tomasi's Diana was a combination of Johns' early Justice League & Azzarello's Wonder Woman run. Johns' Wonder Woman got a lot better as Justice League progressed and Charles' Soule's Wonder Woman was pretty good but he didn't stay on Superman/Wonder Woman very long.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    What I'm trying to point out is that swords or bladed weapons were almost always used by Diana in the New 52. Sure, we can debate if she was "brutal" or not(depending on your POV) but that sword or some other sharp weapon was almost always pictured in Diana's hand or strapped to her body.
    So was the lasso.

oh dear... -rolleyes-

So was the lasso.

The lasso barely came off of Diana's hip during the first few years of the New 52. It's almost like it was glued to her costume. Instead she used those bladed weapons more often.

Fantastic Member

Untitled.jpg

This part, though.
    Last edited by HotBoy; 06-19-2023 at 12:02 PM.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    Untitled.jpg

This part, though.
    Nothing but the truth. I hope this new writer doesn't use WW book to give the center of attention to other characters. If you say the book is about celebrating Diana, then focus on her and her lore.