Page 6 of 201 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status...27582672461824

Don't love the fact that warrior is the first word used there to describe her legacy.
    IDK, you could do worse than describe her as a warrior, legend, rebel, and inspiration.

Warrior can take on many forms besides jumping into the fray and chopping everything up with a sword. It can have the connotation of thinking before you act and trying everything you can to resolve a situation peaceably before resorting to force and fisticuffs.

She’s definitely a legend and inspiration to many.

I love that he used rebel - Diana should be upsetting the status quo when it’s unfair and inequitable and when bigotry and hypocrisy abound.

I think the book might even become more popular if she embraced her roots this way. It could be provocative and thought-provoking in a good way as in “what’s going to happen next.”

Also, I forgot to tell! Tom King says you dont need to read his "forthcoming" story on number 800 for the new series, but hes reintroducing an important character, something peculiar

I wanted to watch the video again to understand it better, but now it's gone, lmao

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Tbf, for a character as big and as long lasting as she is, 4 creators being great with her isn't that much. WW fans pretty much are in line with thinking Perez, Marston and Rucka are her best runs, with some lesser appreciation for Jimenez and Simone, but that's it. Stacked against the sheer amount of "meh" and crap that we get otherwise, she really doesn't have many good stories/runs to her name.

Which isn't the characters fault, nor does it mean those great runs don't prove how great she is and should be looked to, but he's not really wrong
    I know WW has long stretches of runs that aren't much to ride home about but what gets me is that she is far from alone in that regard and things could be easily said the same about Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and honestly even Superman once you remove elseworld/Out-of-continuity stories. But some reason, the golden boys at DC and their defenders like to single her out.

I also just find it generally insulting to the people who have done good work on the character, it always reeks of back-handed compliments. Waid's the same way.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-10-2023 at 12:12 PM.

I dunno about this one. King is real hit or miss for me, and off the top of my head I don't recall reading anything he's done with Diana, outside of a minor appearance here or there.

I like that he's describing her as a rebel, at least. That's a good sign, for what it is. I'll probably wait for previews before I decide whether to give King a shot, but I really hope it looks good enough to try.

Loving the art team though, that's raw quality. And King's a big name, which is good for getting attention on WW.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think with King acknowledging how difficult it is to come into the WW-verse and how hesitant he was....it'll force him to bring his A-game

If he fails it wont look great on him and his current status but he's also part of Gunns new DC universe creative team. Won't look good having him there if he has to touch WW at all

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    OMG!!!!! Way to make me happy on a Friday morning. I'm a sucker for some Carter-nostalgia. LOL

Agree that this is the perfect time to do something political...you know, what with all the rising fascism in the real world.

The CBR homepage story stressed the word "reboot" but what I'm reading in this thread doesn't exactly imply changes to her origin--much as I'd love to have the clay firmly re-established.

Having said that...I've not read any of King's work, so I'm open to see how it all goes down.
    You’re in luck, Sampere says his run will be full of visual references to the Lynda Carter show

They’re doing that thing I hate where they use “reboot” when they mean “relaunch”. Diana isn’t getting rebooted (although given King gave Supergirl her Pre-Crisis origin back I guarantee he would give her the clay origin back if he can), her ongoing is simply being renumbered.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Tbf, for a character as big and as long lasting as she is, 4 creators being great with her isn't that much. WW fans pretty much are in line with thinking Perez, Marston and Rucka are her best runs, with some lesser appreciation for Jimenez and Simone, but that's it. Stacked against the sheer amount of "meh" and crap that we get otherwise, she really doesn't have many good stories/runs to her name.

Which isn't the characters fault, nor does it mean those great runs don't prove how great she is and should be looked to, but he's not really wrong
    She needs more standalones. Stuff you can give someone wanting to read her that isn’t tied up in continuity. And she needs a big “ending” story like DKR or All-Star. I love Historia but it’s really about the Amazons and Hippolyta, not Diana.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Debunks the fan made up theory that Yara would take over Wonder Woman.

Speaking of the Wonder Family what role if any will they play? Taylor has Donna, Nubia is queen so she could be a key player in King’s run given the politics, Cassie and Yara are wild cards. I don’t expect them to be consistently appearing but King did like to periodically bring in the Batfamily for his Batman run, he may do the same for the Wonders.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Speaking of the Wonder Family what role if any will they play? Taylor has Donna, Nubia is queen so she could be a key player in King’s run given the politics, Cassie and Yara are wild cards. I don’t expect them to be consistently appearing but King did like to periodically bring in the Batfamily for his Batman run, he may do the same for the Wonders.
    In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if the killer ends up being Cass or Artemis, Im already preparing myself for a controversial plot twist on the book (but something that makes sense, as Holzherr is holding the reins)

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah I think it's gonna be like you said, they may pop up here and there but I doubt they'll be key players. Up in the Sky and WoT are both "hero goes on a big solo adventure" stories so I'm guessing that's what he has in mind for Diana, though it's an ongoing so who knows what'll happen down the line.

Makes me sad to think Nubia will most likely be sidelined again but we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    Also, since Rucka left all Wonder Woman comics have been hearted fare adventures. I was truly expecting SOME change sooner or later because, as well as I thank the sitcom tone, I also was wanting a change of pace (i still wanted cloonrad to stay, but this is the next best thing that could happen)

And, well, in series like Human Target he has showed that he knows how to write a compeling story involving mysteries and more mundane settings.
    By writing characters completely out of character, say that you can't be sweet and strong at the same time, only strong and murderous, and reestablishing the racist retcon origin for Ice.

(People are asking if he'll bring the clay origin back; if anything I see him bringing in the Zeus origin harder.)

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Though as the Human Target series was an out of continuity Black Label series.

So no one was out of character technically.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Though as the Human Target series was an out of continuity Black Label series.

So no one was out of character technically.
    It still directly refers to in-continuity stories, suggesting that they're meant to be taken as legitimate interpretations of these characters (and that doesn't particularly justify using the racist origin anyways).

Besides, I really don't see the difference when King writes something in-canon vs out continuity, he's extremely laissez faire when it comes to continuity.
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 03-10-2023 at 01:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It still directly refers to in-continuity stories, suggesting that they're meant to be taken as legitimate interpretations of these characters (and that doesn't particularly justify using the racist origin anyways).
    Thats what most writers do.

People go whatever they want with continuity. Its why current Batman Beyond comics take a weird mix of DCAU setting while also treating comic specific elements like the existence of Damian Wayne as they existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Thats what most writers do.

People go whatever they want with continuity. Its why current Batman Beyond comics take a weird mix of DCAU setting while also treating comic specific elements like the existence of Damian Wayne as they existed.
    Um, okay? It's still bad.