Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Decent first issue. Dorn’s dialogue is surprisingly good considering he’s not a regular comic book writer. It’s not clunky or too over the top.

The issue establishes JHI’s current status and sets up a villain. So that aspect of an issue #1 was accomplished. Though I think something bigger should have happened as an attention getter.

I like the idea of showing what happened when John made the moral stand and left the military industrial complex. It’s an interesting take showing that even though he did the right thing it still negatively effected some people’s lives.

I was a little confused as to what happened to Mr. Kerry. Did he phase through the wall when Stax threw him?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Decent first issue. Dorn’s dialogue is surprisingly good considering he’s not a regular comic book writer. It’s not clunky or too over the top.

The issue establishes JHI’s current status and sets up a villain. So that aspect of an issue #1 was accomplished. Though I think something bigger should have happened as an attention getter.

I like the idea of showing what happened when John made the moral stand and left the military industrial complex. It’s an interesting take showing that even though he did the right thing it still negatively effected some people’s lives.

I was a little confused as to what happened to Mr. Kerry. Did he phase through the wall when Stax threw him?
    Yeah the artist didn’t clearly portray what was happening very well. I think you got the gist of it, he phased through the wall but his clothes did not, hence why he was naked in the next panel.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I thought it was a solid first issue. I like JHI's mission statement and that we're presented with a clear motivation for the hero and his life. I'm looking forward to seeing how Dorn writes his relationship with Lana (talk about a power couple) and how much business will complicate things if their agendas are ever at odds. (that's almost inevitable, no?) I'm not crazy about the art, but it falls into the "serviceable" category for me. The storytelling could be stronger, as the ending left me confused as to what was happening, but that could also be on the writing.

In general I'm not impressed with the villain at this point and considering his motivation is to destroy JHI, storywise it just puts the hero on the defensive and isn't inherently interesting to me since I don't have an emotional connection to this personal rivalry.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I thought it was a solid first issue. I like JHI's mission statement and that we're presented with a clear motivation for the hero and his life. I'm looking forward to seeing how Dorn writes his relationship with Lana (talk about a power couple) and how much business will complicate things if their agendas are ever at odds. (that's almost inevitable, no?) I'm not crazy about the art, but it falls into the "serviceable" category for me. The storytelling could be stronger, as the ending left me confused as to what was happening, but that could also be on the writing.

In general I'm not impressed with the villain at this point and considering his motivation is to destroy JHI, storywise it just puts the hero on the defensive and isn't inherently interesting to me since I don't have an emotional connection to this personal rivalry.
    Really? The villain has an emotional connection to the story.
    Irons out Amertech out of business. Stopping his evil ex-bosses but causing financial ruin for the innocent workers, of which Steel himself used to be. And this guy lost his wife because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Really? The villain has an emotional connection to the story.
    Irons out Amertech out of business. Stopping his evil ex-bosses but causing financial ruin for the innocent workers, of which Steel himself used to be. And this guy lost his wife because of it.
    As I said, I don't have an emotional connection. If this guy's been around, I haven't read those stories. But as a new book, even if there was one scene where we'd seen him suffer or lose his life, etc. it would have helped me connect to his motivation, rather than simply being told that he hates John. If it works for you, that's great, but that was just one aspect that was a bit lacking for me.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I was really impressed with Dorn's first issue. He did a better job than most comic writers with history and experience. I forget, is Dorn a comics fan as in does he keep up on comics, has he ever said?

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I was really impressed with Dorn's first issue. He did a better job than most comic writers with history and experience. I forget, is Dorn a comics fan as in does he keep up on comics, has he ever said?
    He did grow up reading Superman, but in his words, “then he got into sports and girls and dropped the habit”
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He did grow up reading Superman, but in his words, “then he got into sports and girls and dropped the habit”
    That's right, I remember reading that in an interview. He obviously did his homework then.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    That's right, I remember reading that in an interview. He obviously did his homework then.
    Someone should ask him if he’s picked up the habit again now that he’s writing comics himself. Bet he would love Hickman judging by his use of data pages.

Probably helps that in recent years Steel has been more of a minor character. Not that much to catch up with.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That's also kinda hard, as a new writer trying to get hooks in on a character who hasn't done much lately to draw fans to this title.

Really liked it and I'm glad Dorn is writing a story and doesn't feel obligated to write a comic, if that makes sense. His premise sets John apart from other heroes and particularly from tech types like Stark or Terrific. Didn't think this coloring worked all that well for Basri, kinda felt like Clayton Henry, but good art is good.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I'm hoping we get some Bibbo appearances in this book. Looks like we might; saw the Ace O' Clubs in the first issue and Basri drew him in one of the recent-ish backups in AC if I recall as well.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    I'm hoping we get some Bibbo appearances in this book. Looks like we might; saw the Ace O' Clubs in the first issue and Basri drew him in one of the recent-ish backups in AC if I recall as well.
    Someone remind me, are Nat’s parents still alive? Would be nice to see them again on panel. Can’t remember the last time they were even mentioned let alone appeared.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Someone remind me, are Nat’s parents still alive? Would be nice to see them again on panel. Can’t remember the last time they were even mentioned let alone appeared.
    They have not been seen since they were written out of the Steel book a few months before Priest took over the run.

Aside from Steel Convergence that had Jehmal ( or Jermal) in it-the rest of the family has been MIA for 27 years.

Along with Perry White's son Keith-who has not been seen in now 22 years.

Nat's Dad might have been seen in Superwoman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    They have not been seen since they were written out of the Steel book a few months before Priest took over the run.

Aside from Steel Convergence that had Jehmal ( or Jermal) in it-the rest of the family has been MIA for 27 years.

Along with Perry White's son Keith-who has not been seen in now 22 years.

Nat's Dad might have been seen in Superwoman.
    Yeah, Crash was in Superwoman. That’s why Steel was concerned about the superhuman prison abuse that Atomic Skull told him about.

The post-Rebirth Superwoman series established that Skyhook kidnapped Jehmal years ago when he was a kid.