Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yeah, Crash was in Superwoman. That’s why Steel was concerned about the superhuman prison abuse that Atomic Skull told him about.

The post-Rebirth Superwoman series established that Skyhook kidnapped Jehmal years ago when he was a kid.
    That was not Jehmal that was Ezekiel. Jehmal doesn't exist so far. Like Black Lightning's nephew.

Extraordinary Member

Ezekiel is post-flashpoint Jehmal

STEELWORKS #4
    Written by MICHAEL DORN
    Art by SAMI BASRI
    Cover by EDDY BARROWS
    Variant cover by SANFORD GREENE
    1:25 variant cover by RAFAEL SARMENTO
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | 4 of 6 | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 9/5/23
    CENTENNIAL DAY UNDER SIEGE!
    As crowds gather for Metropolis’s biggest annual celebration —Centennial Day—danger lurks on the horizon as Charles Walker III and his deadly Silver Mist plan their endgame against John Henry Irons! When the Steelworks tech turns on its creators, Steel will need the help of the entire Super-Family to turn the tides…but is that their true plan?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Steelworks #2 Preview
    Writer: Michael Dorn
    Artists: Sami Basri, Vicente Cifuentes and Max Raynor

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Steelworks #2 Preview

Watch out for the naked intangible man!

Just remembered Supes and Steel are the only ones who still use capes.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Steelworks #2 Preview

Oooooh very action-packed start. Love the panels here.

Enjoyed seeing the Superfamily gathered together and I think Dorn did a good job differentiating their voices from one another. Glad that Dorn made sure to show that yes, Silver Mist’s benefactor made sure that Mist couldn’t turn around and use his powers on him. Felt believable that Mist would end up go along with the plan to attack Irons since he tried repeatedly to get out of attack the guy, but couldn’t so now he’s going down the only road he sees left open.

Did Dorn go reread old comic issues himself or did the editors pass along possible events he could use for the data pages? Cool to see them, and I would also like some data pages about the nature of Genesis energy and what it can do, but that might be PKJ’s purview.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'd put my money on Dorn reading old comics, if it was editors I think we would see it in other comics as well.

Yeah that makes sense. Also loved this big shot of the Family all assembled.

Tip of the hat to Basri.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah I'm so impressed with Dorn jumping in with such effective use of the new Super family and a novel take on John's personal slice. This feels so at home with the character and I love even having that pensive state from Clark. Basri was GOLD on Supergirl and is so welcome here, credit to Dorn also for knowing how to let the art breathe
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I wrote in Action thread how I'd like if Metallo's plot got moved to Steelworks book. And well, usage of Super family so early in the run makes me hopeful that maybe this is possible.

Also, what are the chances that Steel backups from Action won't be included into the first trade of Steelworks? They aren't good and I feel like they'd hurt the collection. Obviously that matters only if this series stays good.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Watch out for the naked intangible man!

Just remembered Supes and Steel are the only ones who still use capes.
    lol, I liked how Walker even noted his nakedness when unveiling his newly designed Silver Mist suit.

On another note, the Casualty Analysis case files got kinda dark with the Tracy Corben one.

"Suicide attempts since robotic transfer: 3"
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

- Is anyone else finding the storytelling a little confusing at times? Last issue I was confused by the end, as it seemed a bunch of armed people (and a light tank) were invading the building out of nowhere, but it appears that it was the automated system that was attacking, and those people were Steel's security. Even then, some of the action wasn't very clear. The art is mostly okay, but some images are a little lackluster and the backgrounds a bit minimal. Not a huge deal, but it gets in the way at times and I'm enjoying the story overall.
    - I'm always amused by "ghosts" who are intangible, but can still somehow run across the floor.
    - Small nitpick, but I prefer Natasha to have a BIG hammer.
    - I can't believe Dorn wasted a page on that "much else" joke.

Overall though, the story and characterization are pretty clear and compelling. I really like Dorn's take on John and I'm looking forward to seeing him interact with Lana. The main villain needs a little fleshing out, but he appears to be a good foil.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-16-2023 at 08:24 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Did Dorn go reread old comic issues himself or did the editors pass along possible events he could use for the data pages? Cool to see them, and I would also like some data pages about the nature of Genesis energy and what it can do, but that might be PKJ’s purview.
    If he bought up Spiral-he must have those comics or read it on DC Unlimited or is a collected Steel trade that hasn't been announced yet.

I think that got included for a reason.

One thing about that-we saw Spiral get his chest blown open. However his parents NEVER got to see the body. Because SOMEBODY took his brain, heart and stomach (2 of those shouldn't have survived the blast) and the cops claimed it was the law.

So if you took his brain..... in a DC Universe that has Robotman and Brain (Doom Patrol villian) whose brains are in machines.

You get a vengeance filled Spiral in a robot body. But who does he go after Steel or Jermal?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    - Is anyone else finding the storytelling a little confusing at times? Last issue I was confused by the end, as it seemed a bunch of armed people (and a light tank) were invading the building out of nowhere, but it appears that it was the automated system that was attacking, and those people were Steel's security. Even then, some of the action wasn't very clear. The art is mostly okay, but some images are a little lackluster and the backgrounds a bit minimal. Not a huge deal, but it gets in the way at times and I'm enjoying the story overall.
    - I'm always amused by "ghosts" who are intangible, but can still somehow run across the floor.
    - Small nitpick, but I prefer Natasha to have a BIG hammer.
    - I can't believe Dorn wasted a page on that "much else" joke.

Overall though, the story and characterization are pretty clear and compelling. I really like Dorn's take on John and I'm looking forward to seeing him interact with Lana. The main villain needs a little fleshing out, but he appears to be a good foil.
    You’re not alone. I found the end confusing too. Haven’t read #2 yet. Waiting for it on DCUI Ultra.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka