Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

What's the appeal of Phil Urich? I can honestly say I never found him entertaining and was tired of him during Slott's Big Time era. Didn't care for him as the green goblin either.

I don't understand the point of this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    I don't understand the point of this series.
    It's a Venom spinoff as Normie is friends with Eddie's son Dylan and got his own symbiote. Both Dylan and Normie are dealing with the legacy of their father's.

lol

More civilian getting superpowers.

Meh

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    What's the appeal of Phil Urich? I can honestly say I never found him entertaining and was tired of him during Slott's Big Time era. Didn't care for him as the green goblin either.
    He has fans from his Green Goblin days (*Summoning Pav*), but I've always liked the take Slott had on him.

Urich's an Irresponsible Peter. He's geeky, has powers, an Uncle Ben who tries to instill values in him, but he's just not about that life, y'know? He wants to hit the Big Time; be a crook, rule New York's underworld. There's an inferiority complex under all that bravado. Man just needs a hug and a pat on the head.

tl;dr he's a prototypical Hellion-esque figure, and we're lucky to have him back. Hope he finds a way to un-unalive himself

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    He has fans from his Green Goblin days (*Summoning Pav*), but I've always liked the take Slott had on him.

Urich's an Irresponsible Peter. He's geeky, has powers, an Uncle Ben who tries to instill values in him, but he's just not about that life, y'know? He wants to hit the Big Time; be a crook, rule New York's underworld. There's an inferiority complex under all that bravado. Man just needs a hug and a pat on the head.

tl;dr he's a prototypical Hellion-esque figure, and we're lucky to have him back. Hope he finds a way to un-unalive himself
    I just never liked how Slott would never give Peter a clean win against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just never liked how Slott would never give Peter a clean win against him.
    I guess? Slott was playing the long game with Phil, so it didn't really make story sense to throw Phil into jail. If anything, Peter and Phil being evenly matched was what made Phil potent as a foe--he was no Shocker, that's for sure.

Side-note: Phil vs Otto? Primo stuff

Fantastic Member

I enjoyed Phil's Green Goblin series and feel like his heel turn wasn't that interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    I guess? Slott was playing the long game with Phil, so it didn't really make story sense to throw Phil into jail. If anything, Peter and Phil being evenly matched was what made Phil potent as a foe--he was no Shocker, that's for sure.

Side-note: Phil vs Otto? Primo stuff
    I never really got the sense they were evenly-matched though, it always felt like Slott wrote Phil with the edge and Peter was barely able to even land a hit on him, let alone beat him

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I never really got the sense they were evenly-matched though, it always felt like Slott wrote Phil with the edge and Peter was barely able to even land a hit on him, let alone beat him
    Phil usually had some massive situational advantage over Pete, it was rarely a fair fight.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Phil usually had some massive situational advantage over Pete, it was rarely a fair fight.
    Exactly my point.

Even in their last counter Peter gets like one good hit in but then Phil hits him and gets away again. It just felt very unsatisfying, like a lot of how Wells has been writing Peter's fights lately.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Even in their last counter Peter gets like one good hit in but then Phil hits him and gets away again. It just felt very unsatisfying, like a lot of how Wells has been writing Peter's fights lately.
    I think that's fine when building a new villain, though I'm certainly going to be more forgiving in a run I was enjoying over one I am not.

The disappointment for me is that, in hindsight, I think Slott lost interest in Phil when he got Norman back and that was to Phil's detriment. We never got a payoff to all that build.

Then Phil, stripped of his Hob, was the utterly lame Goblin, King of the losers. Lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Did anyone pick it up?

spoilers:
    I'm worried about Normie's new friend Tim.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-15-2023 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I think that's fine when building a new villain, though I'm certainly going to be more forgiving in a run I was enjoying over one I am not.

The disappointment for me is that, in hindsight, I think Slott lost interest in Phil when he got Norman back and that was to Phil's detriment. We never got a payoff to all that build.

Then Phil, stripped of his Hob, was the utterly lame Goblin, King of the losers. Lol.
    I get it, just that it had come after having years of Phil around that it felt like more of just undercutting Peter.

Although there are so many Goblins lately that they could probably rival the Symbiotes.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Did anyone pick it up?

spoilers:
    I'm worried about Normie's new friend Tim.
    end of spoilers
    just finished reading it. Norman thinking Peter was on his way to save him was sweet
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy