View Poll Results: Which name would you pick?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Defenders

9 31.03%
  • The Midnight Suns

19 65.52%
  • Something else

3 10.34%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Midnight Suns as the supernatural team.

The Defenders can/have/should do everything across the board.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Midnight Suns, but...

I hate it when Marvel co-opts a great character name and uses it for a team. First, they did it with Thunderbolt, then they did it with Midnight Sun. Both of those characters could have started a veritable Harlem Renaissance of characters, given the opportunity. But, oh well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    In the late '70s and early '80s, the Defenders were the preeminent team in the Marvel Universe that dealt with supernatural and other-dimensional threats. No doubt due to the presence of Dr. Strange and Clea. The Six-Fingered Hand became a prominent story of the series, and the team would end up with Daimon Hellstrom, Devil-Slayer and Gargoyle as members.

In the '90s, Marvel raised up the Midnight Sons, which would feature Ghost Rider, Blade, Johnny Blaze and eventually include Dr. Strange (although he was involved from the beginning).

Midnight Suns (renamed to both include female characters that fit the concept and also be a cooler phrase) was recently upgraded with a video game, bringing the Lilith conflict to the general public. This after a couple other Marvel games under-performed and the increased popularity of Scarlet Witch and Doctor Strange due to the MCU movies and WandaVision.
    The group depicted in the game includes Blade, Ghost Rider, Magik and Nico, with Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, and a few others lending help from the Avengers.

With the Heroes for Hire team briefly commandeering the 'Defenders' name for the tv shows, I could see the supernatural version of the Defenders taking the name of the Midnight Suns.
    Dr. Strange, Clea, Scarlet Witch, Ghost Rider, Blade, Elsa Bloodstone, Magik, Moon Knight, Nico, Dr. Voodoo, Shroud, Spider-Woman, Shaman, Talisman, Jennifer Kale, Topaz, Gargoyle, Morbius, Werewolf by Night, Man-Thing, Devil-Slayer, Hellstorm, and others I'm surely forgetting...

Which would you prefer?
    Hannibal King, vampire detective. I want him on a supernatural team, whatever it's called.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Midnight Suns, but...

I hate it when Marvel co-opts a great character name and uses it for a team. First, they did it with Thunderbolt, then they did it with Midnight Sun. Both of those characters could have started a veritable Harlem Renaissance of characters, given the opportunity. But, oh well.
    Are you referring to Thaddeus Ross and Midnight's Fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    Hannibal King, vampire detective. I want him on a supernatural team, whatever it's called.
    I know, right?! How could anyone forget that twist-ending from Tomb of Dracula #25

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Are you referring to Thaddeus Ross and Midnight's Fire?
    Nope.

Re: Thunderbolt, I'm referring to Bill Carver who was more or less a Flash pastiche. Worth noting, Marvel also used the Thunderbolts name for a street gang. The publication dates for that goes back to 1970s. Thunderbolt would perish in the pages of Power Man & Iron Fist (1980s???), but given that death is rarely permanent in comics, it would have been nice if they had brought him back.

Re: Midnight Sun, I'm referring to M'Nai, Shang Chi's brother (adopted by Fu Manchu). He also first appeared back in the early 1970s, but he has a number of more recent appearances, tangling most notably with the Silver Surfer.

See attachments for images of both characters.

PS: Yes, I know General Ross also had the nickname of "Thunderbolt."
    Attached Images Attached Images