Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Golly, Iris! Sorry I'm late! The Flash (Barry Allen) Appreciation 2023

I somehow let a quarter of the year pass before setting this up. I guess I figured someone else might do it.

But what does the future hold for Barrence (Bronze Age trivia: Wally called him this facetiously from time to time) beyond THE FLASH # 800?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I somehow let a quarter of the year pass before setting this up. I guess I figured someone else might do it.

But what does the future hold for Barrence (Bronze Age trivia: Wally called him this facetiously from time to time) beyond THE FLASH # 800?

Was wondering the same thing recently. While I have many opinions and hopes for what Flash #800 and the new ongoing means for Wally, I wonder what it all means for Barry. Where will he appear next? What will his role be? Given what has been going on with him in One Minute War, are DC planning on getting he and Iris hitched and maybe taking a little break from superheroing?

I would very much like to see them married again. And not just say they are married, but maybe a wedding. I feel like given the mesh of the old continuity and everything since Rebirth that an event showing the wedding would cement it in more.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Wonder if Jeremy Adams might put Barry in the GL back-ups down the line. After all there was a time where Hal was featured in the Flash back-ups, maybe it's time to return the favor. It's what friends should do.

Was wondering the same thing recently. While I have many opinions and hopes for what Flash #800 and the new ongoing means for Wally, I wonder what it all means for Barry. Where will he appear next? What will his role be? Given what has been going on with him in One Minute War, are DC planning on getting he and Iris hitched and maybe taking a little break from superheroing?

I would very much like to see them married again. And not just say they are married, but maybe a wedding. I feel like given the mesh of the old continuity and everything since Rebirth that an event showing the wedding would cement it in more.
    Honestly I was hoping #800 would feature some wedding for Barry and Iris after One Minute War, but hey maybe we'll get a one shot sometime this year. Barry and Iris getting remarried is top of my wish list too, and how great would it be if DC did a full wedding issue for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post
    Honestly I was hoping #800 would feature some wedding for Barry and Iris after One Minute War, but hey maybe we'll get a one shot sometime this year. Barry and Iris getting remarried is top of my wish list too, and how great would it be if DC did a full wedding issue for it?
    Yeah maybe even a One Shot Event that leads to a bigger story with him. Kind of like the Green Arrow Black Canary Wedding issue years back. We need the Barry Allen Waid wrote in Dark Crisis Big Bang though. Confident, smart, heroic. Not the self doubting, brooding one Johns brought back and Williamson continued.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

I was re-reading "The Flash Companion" last week, and apparently "Barrence" only became "Bartholomew" by the time they were creating Impulse. Waid wanted to name him Barry II, DC vetoed it, and Busiek suggested Bart, so they could still have the same name. When they remembered that Barry was actually "Barrence", they shrugged it because "nobody knew that".
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Since The Flash book is skipping two months I waa thinking that maybe DC will do 2 issues mini with Barry for that terror knights event?

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I was re-reading "The Flash Companion" last week, and apparently "Barrence" only became "Bartholomew" by the time they were creating Impulse. Waid wanted to name him Barry II, DC vetoed it, and Busiek suggested Bart, so they could still have the same name. When they remembered that Barry was actually "Barrence", they shrugged it because "nobody knew that".
    Was Barrence -> Bartholomew ever addressed in-universe? Given how much Flash writers love continuity, I would've thought there'd be some explanation like making it a nickname or a joke name

No, I knew about "Barrence" going in to the conversation.

And yes, we did dismiss it because nobody would remember it -- and also because it was only used once or twice, so it could easily be written off as an affectation, and not his real name.

Either that, or it could be considered one of the many, many changes caused by the Crisis. Just a really little one.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post
    Was Barrence -> Bartholomew ever addressed in-universe? Given how much Flash writers love continuity, I would've thought there'd be some explanation like making it a nickname or a joke name
    There's a hypertime Barrence Allen out there somewhere just like there's a hypertime Walter West.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Wonder if Jeremy Adams might put Barry in the GL back-ups down the line. After all there was a time where Hal was featured in the Flash back-ups, maybe it's time to return the favor. It's what friends should do.
    I'd love to see a good Hal and Barry team-up again .

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    No, I knew about "Barrence" going in to the conversation.

And yes, we did dismiss it because nobody would remember it -- and also because it was only used once or twice, so it could easily be written off as an affectation, and not his real name.

Either that, or it could be considered one of the many, many changes caused by the Crisis. Just a really little one.

kdb
    Thank you. I always assumed that Barry's name was set in stone way before that, and found quite interesting that only by the time Bart came around this was addressed.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Thank you. I always assumed that Barry's name was set in stone way before that, and found quite interesting that only by the time Bart came around this was addressed.
    I think most people simply assumed his name was Barry, which is a legit given name all by itself. He was listed in the DC WHO'S WHO as Barry.

Whether "Barrence" was intended as his full name or not, most people didn't seem to take it that way. So me suggesting to Mark that he retroactively name Barry Bartholomew can be seen as a retcon of Barrence, a retcon of Barry, or simply his actual name being finally revealed.

Interestingly (at least to me), the only Barrence listed in Wikipedia is vocalist Barrence Whitfield, and his parents named him "Barry White" -- he changed the name to avoid confusion with the much-more-famous Barry White, who was born Barry Eugene Carter.

Barrence seems to be mostly used as a surname, but even then, not often. There were two people in the US 1920 census with the last name Barrence.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Hoping 2023 will be AWESOME for The Scarlet Speedster!

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-13-2023 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    There's a hypertime Barrence Allen out there somewhere just like there's a hypertime Walter West.
    Yes...somewhere out there is the *original* Barry BARRENCE Allen, the version we saw from SHOWCASE # 4 to COIE # 8.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014