Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Best The Riddler comics?

As the title suggests - I’m not really well versed in Batman, to be honest.

I hear good things about the war of jokes and riddles?
    Last edited by your_name_here; 03-13-2023 at 02:59 PM.

From Secret Origins Special (1989) #1, my recommendation would be...

When Is a Door.: The Secret Origin of The Riddler...

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-13-2023 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Gotham City Sirens by Paul Dini

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

As K7P5V mentioned, "When Is a Door..." from Secret Origins is fantastic. Probably THE best Riddler story.

Otherwise, I'd recommend:

Dark Knight, Dark City from Batman #452-454 is really good (even if I'm not a fan of what later writers did with it). Riddler either goes mad(der) researching Gotham's origins or is possessed by a demon.

Batman: Run, Riddler, Run (3 part limited series), in which Riddler aids a millionaire trying to transform Gotham.

Detective Comics Annual #8 has a really fun re-telling of the Riddler's origin and early years.

Batman: Zero Year (Batman vol 2 #21-27, 29-33) has an all new first attack on Gotham for Riddler. Opinions vary, but I thought this was a fun outing for him.

War of Jokes and Riddles (Batman vol 3 #25-32), Riddler and Joker go to war!

Currently running is Riddler: Year One, which ties into the movie and is written by Paul Dano, the actor who played him. It's really good so far.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I hated War of Jokes and Riddles so I'd personally suggest avoiding it.

Personally I loved the E. Nigma: Consulting Detective period from Paul Dini(writer of Batman the Animated Series) run on Detective Comics, mainly contained in 'Tec #822-824.

Batman #179 by Gardner Fox and Sheldon Moldoff is an old school favorite of mine and for the time it was published(1966) was actually a fairly mature look at a guy who is struggling with a compulsion disorder.

Batman: King Tut's Tomb from Batman: Confidential #26-#28 is another great team up between Batman and the Riddler almost in line with the consulting detective stories.

And finally I'll go with Batman Adventures #10 "The Last Riddler Story" by Kelly Puckett which features the Riddler pondering retirement if the Dark Knight can solve one last riddle.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I echo a lot of the prior recommendations in this thread, but would also add some hidden gems:

1) The Brave and the Bold #183 "The Death of Batman" where Batman and the Riddler must team up to find a retired mystery novelist.

2) Batman Chronicles #3 "Riddle of the Jinxed Sphinx"

3) Batman 23.2 "Solitaire" by Ray Fawkes and Scott Snyder (though I suspect Fawkes really wrote most of it)
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    And finally I'll go with Batman Adventures #10 "The Last Riddler Story" by Kelly Puckett which features the Riddler pondering retirement if the Dark Knight can solve one last riddle.
    Totally Awesome! Since BTAS can be mentioned, my next choice would be...

"Why is a Raven like a Writing Desk?"

heh, there's a lot of criminals in Gothan that make NO sense to put in Arkham. Riddler is one of them. He's not truly insane, just a weirdo.

Mighty Member

B&R adv#3. Riddler hijacks a millionaires club believing that Batman and robin must be there pointing out that it takes money to be Batman and how some members have crime related traumas....

Incredible Member

Tbh my favorite version of Riddler is the one in Hush

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Tbh my favorite version of Riddler is the one in Hush
    I know, right?! The Long Halloween is quite enjoyable, as well...

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-19-2023 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Totally Awesome! Since BTAS can be mentioned, my next choice would be...

"Why is a Raven like a Writing Desk?"

They were pretty solidly written comics so I mention them in "Best of Batman" threads all the time.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! The Long Halloween is quite enjoyable, as well...

For sure! I almost mentioned the Long Halloween but figured OP wanted something with the focus specifically on Riddler.

Loeb Riddler is the definitive version for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    For sure! I almost mentioned the Long Halloween but figured OP wanted something with the focus specifically on Riddler.

Loeb Riddler is the definitive version for me.
    I know, right?! Then, there's The Riddler from When in Rome...
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-20-2023 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Back in the '90s there were a series of Judge Dredd and Batman team-up specials called "Judgement on Gotham". There's a Riddler-centric issue called "The Ultimate Riddle" and it's well worth a read, in my opinion.
    Formerly known as Don't pee in the (Dead)pool...