View Poll Results: Batman by Scott Snyder / What is your verdict?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-Stars His work is the best compared to others in DC right now

57 44.88%
  • 4-Stars His work is above average compared to others in DC right now

48 37.80%
  • 3-Stars His work is average compared to others in DC right now

13 10.24%
  • 2-Stars His work is below average compared to others in DC right now

6 4.72%
  • 1-Star His work is poor compared to others in DC right now

3 2.36%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dmreyn View Post
    People bashed DOTF but I didn't think it was that bad - possibly because I read it in trade and already knew that the title was misleading.
    "Not that bad" is not nearly good enough for me to waste my time on.

All-New Member

I'd say that this is one of DC's better books at the moment. However, the arcs are too long. I enjoy big stories, but sometimes it just drags on. Zero Year is good but it's 2 or 3 issues too long, I think.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Death of the Family was a legitimately good arc. The problem with it was that DC over marketed it, pumped out too many mediocre tie-ins and implied a death would occur (even though that would be impossible, seeing as how Damian was kicking the bucket in BInc around the same time).

BANNED

Snyder is one of the best bat-writers of all time, and will go down in history as such. The tone of his stories is very cool, and well-suited to Batman. I'd say this run could be stronger (and my hopes are always there given the brilliance of Black Mirror), but it's still really strong.

One thing I truly love about the Snyder/Capullo run is that they really take the 'comics have no budget' concept to the fullest. Pretty much every issue has something that would be impossible to do in a live action movie. It's inspiring.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Death of the Family was a legitimately good arc. The problem with it was that DC over marketed it, pumped out too many mediocre tie-ins and implied a death would occur (even though that would be impossible, seeing as how Damian was kicking the bucket in BInc around the same time).
    Honestly, that's just an empty opinion for me. When I originally read the Joker story, I found it easy to follow, but pointlessly graphic without a real resolution.

I tried to re-read it again recently an couldn't make it past the second issue. It's not good writing by any sense of that definition, it's just an average comic book with neat art.

I personally don't like anything Snyder has done in the long-term since the reboot, but I would still recommend him to new readers because he seems to invoke a lot of surface mainstream appeal, even if I don't enjoy it.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Although I enjoy Batman I don't give him the attention many other people on here will.

Delved into Batman after the N52 launched and I've loved it. Think Snyder's a terrific writer. Loved all the story arcs so far.

(Also bought Vol. 1 and 2 of The Dark Knight. Vol. 2 much better but still not a patch on the main Snyder title)

I voted 5 stars.
    It's impossible for me to compare him to other writers at DC currently, as Batman is the only DC title I read. The only other comics I buy on a monthly basis are Dark Horse. However, I've been reading Batman for 25 years, since I was 7 years old, and can compare Snyder to past writers.
    I feel he ranks up there with the best of them.
    Of course it helps that he has Greg Capullo drawing his stories. As any comic fan knows, a great artists' importance to a great comic book story cannot be overstated. As much as I've been enjoying Snyder's writing, I've been loving Capullo's artwork even more. The best regular artist on the title since Norm Breyfogle.
    I really hope these guys stick around for another hundred issues.
    And I feel really, really sorry for the two guys who will eventually have the horrible task of replacing them.

Incredible Member

His stuff is usually bombastic, exciting, terrifying when he wants it to be, and well-paced (in the issue itself), though I'm sure a lot of that comes from Capullo as well.

He does tend to overemphasize & oversimplify his 'big ideas', often through awkward speeches, and he sometimes over-reaches.

But there are just so many great memorable moments littered throughout his issues.

So many inspiring moments, shocking moments, and ridiculous fist-pump moments (Batman fighting lions!).
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 07-20-2014 at 11:20 PM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    and ridiculous fist-pump moments (Batman fighting lions!).
    This got a genuine "Hell YEAH!" from me when I read the issue. So awesome!

I'd say he is definitely above average. Although, there is a lot of room for improvement, such as his endless internal monologues in every issue which quickly become tiresome and the mindless techno babble he constantly rams down our throats. Batman #32 was the worst I've ever seen it.

Fantastic Member

I would say he's Average to Above Average, and easily the most overrated Batman writer we've seen in a long time.

In addition to the point of him lacking subtlety, I feel he's become self indulgent with his storytelling. I don't know if his interviews have colored my view, but his post Owls work has him coming off as a try hard.

"I'm gonna write the biggest, most epic Joker story ever!" followed by "I'm gonna write the biggest, most epic Batman origin story since Year One!"

That said, I really enjoyed his two part Clayface arc, which shows what he can do when he isn't forcingly trying to write some magnum opus.

The saving grace of this run...is Greg Capullo. Wonderful art with some dynamic action.

I've given him 4 stars only because his Batman is still well above most of DC's offering.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post

"I'm gonna write the biggest, most epic Joker story ever!" followed by "I'm gonna write the biggest, most epic Batman origin story since Year One!"
    In Synder's defense, he never said any of that. He always said that he wanted to write the "biggest story that he could possibly write while on the book"
    and that Zero Year was "his most epic Batman story he'd done so far on the book"

He never claimed any of his stories to be better than anything else.

Amazing Member

Default Question about Batman purchases...

Do people actually buy Batman because its good, or because it has Synder as its writer?

Incredible Member

I normally don't focus on writers but on the artist, if the art is good then a crappy story wouldn't matter much to me. On the other hand if I don't like the art but I hear rave reviews then I do give a comic a shot of purchase (ex. The Long Halloween).