Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I, Claudius (1976)
    The Jewel in the Crown (1984)
    Band of Brothers (2001)
    Stephen King's The Stand (1994)
    Storm Of The Century (1999)
    Stephen King's The Shining (1997)...its charms lie in its more book accuracy

Salem's Lot (1979)...technically a miniseries, but in its DVD and bluray form it's more a long TV movie now than a miniseries, great adaptation though, creepy and atmospheric
    It (1990)...another mini that's practically a TV movie, great adaptation
    I loved pretty much all the miniseries adaptations of King's work. The effects might be schlocky now but I remember being scared of the Langoliers when that came out.

I feel like the networks used to put out mini-series like these every summer...when did that stop?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Band of Brothers is my top pick.

It has the best production values, cast, script, directing, etc.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    "So, which one of you b!tches is my mother?"
    Ahhh You're bringing back memories. The only memory that stands out without being prompted is Maxine's inability to pronounce "through thick and thin"
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Ahhh You're bringing back memories. The only memory that stands out without being prompted is Maxine's inability to pronounce "through thick and thin"
    Lace was a fun mini-series. Phoebe Cates was delicious in that. The three actresses each played their roles perfectly. Plus, we got Angela Lansbury as the aunt.

V and V the Final battles were my number ones but others I liked and loved are

Band of Brothers.
    Dark Shadows (1991) because of cancellation it's only 12 episodes long so I'm counting it.
    The Stand from the 90's and It from the 90's.
    The Bastard, the Rebels, & the Seekers from the late 70's (Family Saga involving Revolutionary War and going into the west based off Books).
    Into the West (2005).
    The Prisoner (Original).
    Dallas (While the original miniseries is now considered season 1 at the time and until the DVD release it was always considered a Miniseries).
    Chernobyl.
    The Haunting of Hill House (2018) & Midnight Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The Prisoner (Original)
    You mean with Patrick McGoohan? Was that a mini-series? (it's funny that there was that Jim Caveziel mini, but I honestly don't remember anything about it other than my sense of disappointment)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    You mean with Patrick McGoohan? Was that a mini-series? (it's funny that there was that Jim Caveziel mini, but I honestly don't remember anything about it other than my sense of disappointment)
    Yeah, it's more of a "maxi-series" with it being 17 episodes but it was meant to be that long it was the story they wanted to tell and they ended it.

I remember the remake being in desert setting and Ian Mckellen and Jim Caveziel being it but that's it.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I loved pretty much all the miniseries adaptations of King's work. The effects might be schlocky now but I remember being scared of the Langoliers when that came out.
    I can't speak to all (cuz I doubt I've seen them all), but I definitely like so many of them. I should have listed Langoliers, it gets a bad wrap nowadays due to the effects and what not, but I really enjoyed it when I was young, and enjoy it still. Bronson Pinchot I loved as the crazed business exec Craig Toomey (whose dead father was reminiscent of Lionel Luthor).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Yeah, it's more of a "maxi-series" with it being 17 episodes but it was meant to be that long it was the story they wanted to tell and they ended it.
    Yeah, being a big Prisoner fan myself, there is an argument for listing it. Because yeah, it was I think meant only to be like 7 episodes, but the execs (at CBS) wanted 17.

I love it, and I even have my own viewing order for the show (one that I found online that utterly convinced me of being the best order, the only order even that I will watch them in).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-16-2023 at 10:04 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Man, they knew what they were doing too -- remember how people lost their **** when Jane Badler ate that rodent? And then they topped themselves with the delivery of the twins and the second baby came out...!
    Yeah, those I remember vividly. Or when Julie was being brainwashed and she was being chased by a lizard alien and the wall was revealed to be lizard skin, ah! Yes they sure did know what they were doing.

The Stand is another good one.

Pride and Prejudice (1995)
    North & South (2004) - a BBC adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's novel, no relation to the US miniseries about civil war
    The Mists of Avalon (2001)
    Ring of the Nibelungs (2004)
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Chernobyl and Band of Brothers
    Also The Spy (Netflix) is pretty good

Extraordinary Member

Another vote for Stephen King miniseries

It
    Salem's Lot
    The Stand
    Langoliers

V
    Shogun
    Lonesome Dove
    Noble House.

I saw Prisoner mentioned. I wouldn't class that as a mini series but it was easily one of my favorite TV series of all time. Along with The Persuaders, Blake's 7, Babylon 5, and Remington Steele.