Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I actually mention to my therapist about me spending money every 2 weeks for a 3.99 issue of Amazing Spider-man that is in a story direction I'm not happy with it and I'm buying it out of morbid curiosity, he said we speak more about it in the coming session as well as my other bad habits i have to cut off lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I actually mention to my therapist about me spending money every 2 weeks for a 3.99 issue of Amazing Spider-man that is in a story direction I'm not happy with it and I'm buying it out of morbid curiosity, he said we speak more about it in the coming session as well as my other bad habits i have to cut off lol.
    Yeah it gets boring rather fast not to like the story. I stopped reading Spider-man after OMD. Quit cold turkey. Then I didn't touch it beyond Slotts Nu-jackal story(witch confirmed that things where not moving in a good direction). It wasn't until halfway through Spencer's run that the good word of mouth made me try it. Now I am at verge of dropping it again. I just can't see anyway out of this mess Wells has gotten himself into. Retcons or not I think the damage will be to big to walk back from.

It's sad but it is what it is. There are many thigns to read out there and even though I grew up with Peter&MJ, Felicia, Kafka, Ben and others I never made a vow to follow them forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I know how you feel. I've been collecting Spidey for almost 30 years and the last few months I've been coming to terms with the fact that I think I'm done with ASM. If this is the direction marvel is going in the longterm then i dont want to keep hate reading it just in the hopes it gets better. I hate how negative I am about this book lately. I probably shouldn't even finish the arc but a small part of me still has hope that Wells can magically turn it around.

Amazing Member

After reading this issue I still don't know what Peter did that caused MJ to turn against him. This was the worst issue of the run yet, since it didn't answer anything, unless I'm really dense. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Demoslider View Post
    After reading this issue I still don't know what Peter did that caused MJ to turn against him. This was the worst issue of the run yet, since it didn't answer anything, unless I'm really dense. Lol

the reason you don't know why MJ is mad is cause we haven't reach that part yet this flashback ends in issue 25.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I'm assuming the crux of the whole issue is the kids and how Peter got all four of them back.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    If this is something Marvel commits to then it could affect the comics for awhile and honestly I doubt they'll ever let us forget it as long as the same attitude towards the status quo continues.

I will say that if Wally West can come back from Heroes In Crisis then anything is possible. Doesn't make it suck any less in the moment though.

On that note, think can we can get Jeremy Adams on ASM after this run to fix this mess?
    He's not exclusive to DC so might as well. Currently he wants to make sure he writes Hal Jordan as a likeable guy since he said it bothers him that some people think he is a dick. Considering how others feel about how MJ is written in this, he might as well follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm assuming the crux of the whole issue is the kids and how Peter got all four of them back.
    Worst case scenario, he was being selfish and wanted her back in his life no matter what, husband, kids and all. Which would harken back to her appalling responsibility speech.

Best case scenario... I literally can't think of anything that would make him look even remotely good in all this.

Side note, I detest runs that take 25 issues to explain what the hell is going on. We should've known about this mystery crap at least 10 issues ago. They just abuse people's trust since it's ASM and they know fans will buy it no matter what. Just to come up with something that will make the MC an even bigger loser than he's been portrayed as thus far.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-23-2023 at 03:17 PM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

So...can we get a moratorium on mystery box stories in Amazing? Whatever horrible thing Pete did that made everyone hate him was never going to be worth it, but now that we have context that Pete wasn't responsible for the destruction in Pennsylvania.

I know it's a very Spider-Man thing to be left holding the bag for something beyond his control, but that's kind of pushing it. lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    So...can we get a moratorium on mystery box stories in Amazing? Whatever horrible thing Pete did that made everyone hate him was never going to be worth it, but now that we have context that Pete wasn't responsible for the destruction in Pennsylvania.

I know it's a very Spider-Man thing to be left holding the bag for something beyond his control, but that's kind of pushing it. lol
    Genuinely sick of mystery boxes now. Don't wanna see another one for a good while after this run. And if there IS any, they should be short.

Fantastic Member

There’s a lot of things in this run I could go for a moratorium on

I think the big reveal is going to be that MJ never lost faith in Peter, but she had to break up with him for reasons. She had to break his heart for what she thought was the greater good. (Also that she and Paul aren't actually a thing but they want everyone to think they are as part of those reasons.)

This is what makes it a "tragedy" and plays into Wells wanting to play it as Peter and MJ wanting to be together but can't for reasons.

The problem is the execution has been horrendous. They clearly didn't actually plot this out beyond the most basic of ideas. They were too wrapped up in the whole mystery box aspect of all this and in tie-ins to other stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    They didn't plan anything out. And it shows.
    This doesn't seem to track.

The last issue of Beyond ends with Peter & MJ about to move in together when they're interrupted by a glowing man talking about a trail of blood.

The flashback showed it was Dr. Rabin, a villain from Zeb Wells' first Brand New Day story, an acolyte of Mayan Gods. The Deity made multiple references to blood in that story. "Your world will worship me with its blood." "You carry the sun-blood. You are not my sacrifice." One of his final threats is "I walk the black road." before he promises to return in the next alignment.

So I'm pretty sure Wells knew when he was writing the last issue of Beyond and the early issues of his run that whatever happened involved Dr. Rabin, and that Paul was a scientist who had worked with him. In that case, plenty was planned out.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    Genuinely sick of mystery boxes now. Don't wanna see another one for a good while after this run. And if there IS any, they should be short.
    The payoff's just never there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This doesn't seem to track.

The last issue of Beyond ends with Peter & MJ about to move in together when they're interrupted by a glowing man talking about a trail of blood.

The flashback showed it was Dr. Rabin, a villain from Zeb Wells' first Brand New Day story, an acolyte of Mayan Gods. The Deity made multiple references to blood in that story. "Your world will worship me with its blood." "You carry the sun-blood. You are not my sacrifice." One of his final threats is "I walk the black road." before he promises to return in the next alignment.

So I'm pretty sure Wells knew when he was writing the last issue of Beyond and the early issues of his run that whatever happened involved Dr. Rabin, and that Paul was a scientist who had worked with him. In that case, plenty was planned out.
    They were so vague at the end of Beyond that it could have been anyone. That's kind of the issue here. They were purposefully vague when they started this mystery box because they didn't know what the deal was with Paul and the kids.

This is a convoluted mess. And you can trace it to them clearly not planning this thing out.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 03-23-2023 at 05:03 PM.