Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    true but then again its a name of a character no one cares about why does it matter if he decides to change it especially if the kids dont make a regular appearance
    I don't know... I feel like it's a pretty fair expectation for names of characters to not randomly change partway through a story that you're paying money for.

The kids haven't appeared a ton but they're still pretty vital to the set up and probably pay off to this story. At the very least these are Mary Jane's children. They should be able to keep track of their names.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    I don't know... I feel like it's a pretty fair expectation for names of characters to not randomly change partway through a story that you're paying money for.

The kids haven't appeared a ton but they're still pretty vital to the set up and probably pay off to this story. At the very least these are Mary Jane's children. They should be able to keep track of their names.
    but the romy name was done in June of last year and was change to Stephanie in March also who's the say Romy isnt a nickname for the child.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

but the romy name was done in June of last year and was change to Stephanie in March also who's the say Romy isnt a nickname for the child.
    It's just indicative of how much they didn't plan out the mystery, and also of frankly just how much they don't care about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    It's just indicative of how much they didn't plan out the mystery, and also of frankly just how much they don't care about it.
    cause they change the names of the children that no one here really cares about feels like another reach

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

the reason you don't know why MJ is mad is cause we haven't reach that part yet this flashback ends in issue 25.
    We already know how it ends up so how much does it really matter. Also am I the only one who is tired of their breakups always being the same anyway. He has good intentions but ends up doing something "bad", she dumps him and the next time we see her she's hooked up with someone else. If they're so determined to keep them apart(or likely get rid of her altogether soon), why not just switch their roles for once. Why can't Peter for once be the one who gets tired of her no matter how hard he tries to make it work and in the end she's the one that ends up doing something "bad" to him and he's had enough and tells her to get lost. Not that way obviously, but just do something different for once. Stop making him look like the pathetic fool who is always wrong and stop putting her on some pedestal that she herself would say she can't possibly live up to.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-24-2023 at 07:57 AM.

cause they change the names of the children that no one here really cares about feels like another reach
    I'm glad you're enjoying the run (I legit wish I was) and I get and respect that this doesn't bother you but no matter how you look at it this is another example of editorial dropping the ball. It's weird that even behind the scenes it seems that names were never decided on during discussions between Wells and Lowe or Wells and Romita when talking about the plot. People are supposed to be paying attention to small details to try and figure out what's going on. The story was setting up as a mystery. Regardless of whether or not I want these kids to just disappear and never be referenced again they are still a part of that story and mystery and not paying attention to something as obvious as this comes off to me as lazy and like they don't care about the story they're telling.

ASM is Marvel's flagship book and as a reader I want to feel like the people making the book take pride in their work and put care into crafting the best ASM book possible, even if the story isn't for me. I don't want to feel like the editor takes a half-assed pass at the script before shrugging and approving obvious mistakes. This reads to me like breaking up Peter and MJ and getting the outrage attention was more important to them than telling a compelling story.

I think regardless of how you feel about the run as a whole we should still be able to acknowledge when there are mistakes and technical problems. This is still a product that people buy and the product should meet professional bare minimum standards and when these things happen we should expect more as fans.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    I'm glad you're enjoying the run (I legit wish I was) and I get and respect that this doesn't bother you but no matter how you look at it this is another example of editorial dropping the ball. It's weird that even behind the scenes it seems that names were never decided on during discussions between Wells and Lowe or Wells and Romita when talking about the plot. People are supposed to be paying attention to small details to try and figure out what's going on. The story was setting up as a mystery. Regardless of whether or not I want these kids to just disappear and never be referenced again they are still a part of that story and mystery and not paying attention to something as obvious as this comes off to me as lazy and like they don't care about the story they're telling.

ASM is Marvel's flagship book and as a reader I want to feel like the people making the book take pride in their work and put care into crafting the best ASM book possible, even if the story isn't for me. I don't want to feel like the editor takes a half-assed pass at the script before shrugging and approving obvious mistakes. This reads to me like breaking up Peter and MJ and getting the outrage attention was more important to them than telling a compelling story.

I think regardless of how you feel about the run as a whole we should still be able to acknowledge when there are mistakes and technical problems. This is still a product that people buy and the product should meet professional bare minimum standards and when these things happen we should expect more as fans.
    thats an assumption regarding my enjoyment of the run. the name of the children dont bother me but I do have my complaints on this run

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    We already know how it ends up so how much does it really matter. Also am I the only one who is tired of their breakups always being the same anyway. He has good intentions but ends up doing something "bad", she dumps him and the next time we see her she's hooked up with someone else. If they're so determined to keep them apart(or likely get rid of her altogether soon), why not just switch their roles for once. Why can't Peter for once be the one who gets tired of her no matter how hard he tries to make it work and in the end she's the one that ends up doing something "bad" to him and he's had enough and tells her to get lost. Not that way obviously, but just do something different for once. Stop making him look like the pathetic fool who is always wrong and stop putting her on some pedestal that she herself would say she can't possibly live up to.
    you know I would like to see that they always make Peter try to get Mj change it up for once. Get Mj to chase after Peter

thats an assumption regarding my enjoyment of the run. the name of the children dont bother me but I do have my complaints on this run
    My bad on that then. I totally get that it's a small thing and if it was an isolated thing I'd probably shrug it off too but to me it's just another example of mistakes or outright lazy decisions and it's just insane to me how much these little things have piled up in a 25 issue run.

Astonishing Member

It's one of many examples. It"s not like it's the first example of this in 22 issues. If it was, it wouldn't be as big a deal.

The book in general hasn't cared about the mystery since Day 1.

true but then again its a name of a character no one cares about why does it matter if he decides to change it especially if the kids dont make a regular appearance
    The fact that the implied author doesn't care enough about the character to stick with a name is part of why nobody cares about the the character.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Wells didn't care enough about his own mystery box to keep things consistent.

At least this won't hit the absolute bottom of "Cyclops is mutant Hitler" levels of absurd with this. But that doesn't mean this has been good. Far from it.

I feel sure that Romita Jr and the other artists are too professional to let their feelings about the story affect the quality of their art. But in a lot of the frames I've seen the art is subpar.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I feel sure that Romita Jr and the other artists are too professional to let their feelings about the story affect the quality of their art. But in a lot of the frames I've seen the art is subpar.
    The last stretch of the issue is almost an unreadable mess. I'd like to see the script for those pages.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I remember JRJr’s art improved a lot when JMS took over from Mackie in the early 2000s. But JRJr is, well, an old man now. Like Bagley and Kubert, his art just isn’t as good as it used to be. Not sure how much of it has to do with the story because his stuff on Superman was also not great.