Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast

Feels like people have been calling out JRJr's out for a while now.

And I don't blame them, even as a fan.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Feels like people have been calling out JRJr's out for a while now.

And I don't blame them, even as a fan.
    I love him with my life. But I think in this issue it could be the script that's guilty

Interested in learning more about Paul tbh. I like new characters getting some development and I want to know more about him and get some more established about him. Been waiting for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Interested in learning more about Paul tbh. I like new characters getting some development and I want to know more about him and get some more established about him. Been waiting for this.
    I guess Paul needs somebody in his corner .

I guess Paul needs somebody in his corner .
    The question is if Paul is about to be revealed as a villain or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It would be kind of amusing if he kicked Peter out so he and MJ could be alone...but he'll probably just be a generically nice enough guy for when he's inevitably the big death coming up.

It would be kind of amusing if he kicked Peter out so he and MJ could be alone...but he'll probably just be a generically nice enough guy for when he's inevitably the big death coming up.
    I think they're about to reveal MJ and Paul's relationship is a lie that they did for reasons. The question is if Paul wants it to be real or not in the last minute. We can only wait and see at this point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    It's just indicative of how much they didn't plan out the mystery, and also of frankly just how much they don't care about it.
    This story is terrible, but this is such a minor error to make that kind of leap. This is why it's hard to have any kind of discussion about anything on these boards. I'm not a fan of this run and I'm not thrilled with the direction of Spidey these days, but people blow every detail so wildly out of proportion and every thread on here is just back and forth series of self-indulgent rants over and over. It makes people with actual rational criticisms look bad.

I swear this series is a roller coaster. Now this was a really strong issue. The weakest part for me is kamala doesn't sound like herself and comes off as 30 instead of her age where as on the flip in past issues peter was getting that voice but i loved Peter's voice in this. mentioning the totems, figuring out what the device was and how to fix it. The banter about Johnny keep trying to give MJ his number. Really enjoyed MJ jumping in to save Peter too and liked that it didn't feel forced. the art once again was top notch and the letterer really showed up. Easily the best issue of Amazing in quite some time. Really looking forward to issue 23.

Some of my fave panels.
    doinggeniusstuff.jpg
    keepmovingindeed.jpg
    keepslaying.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    This story is terrible, but this is such a minor error to make that kind of leap. This is why it's hard to have any kind of discussion about anything on these boards. I'm not a fan of this run and I'm not thrilled with the direction of Spidey these days, but people blow every detail so wildly out of proportion and every thread on here is just back and forth series of self-indulgent rants over and over. It makes people with actual rational criticisms look bad.
    They didn't exactly give people a lot to sink their teeth into.

It's going to be sloppy no matter what. It's already sloppy.

Issue 4:

Issue 21:

This is sloppy. This is not playing fair (the name "Romy" was literally all we had on the girl until her name randomly changed to Stephanie in issue 21. The boy didn't even have a name until 21.). You may say "it doesn't matter what her name is," but this shows how much they care about telling a coherent story.

Also, the original Wayeb/Wayep story was 15 years ago, and the only time we have seen the character since was a cameo appearance in a Fear Itself tie-in (Journey Into Mystery #627, which came out in 2011). And it wasn't thought of as a classic story. This whole thing isn't exactly new reader friendly.
    The names seem to be more of a standard mistake, than evidence the writer didn't know what had happened to Peter and MJ. So far, there's no indication the names matter for the overall story.

I brought up the original Rabin story because the question would be whether Wells had planned to bring back the character when he wrote the new Amazing Spider-Man #1. As for whether it's new reader friendly, we should be able to assess that question separate from everything else. It makes sense for Wells to follow-up an earlier story he did with a major artist (Chris Bachalo.) If readers like the idea of Spider-Man VS Mayan villains, they can check out that one story, but they can also follow the current comic without ever checking it out.

For the purposes of this narrative, was there an obviously better choice than bringing in characters from his own story? If he made up entirely new characters, there's less of a sense of any connection to the character's history. Any story in which Peter and MJ break-up is going to be controversial, so if he had picked other characters, that could further upset fans of those characters or their creators.

I am curious as to how the reputation of the first year of the series is going to change after a few months, as the context changes, and the mystery box is no longer a mystery.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

Yup, how innocent was he when working with Rabin?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The names seem to be more of a standard mistake, than evidence the writer didn't know what had happened to Peter and MJ. So far, there's no indication the names matter for the overall story.
    I don't think this is a good defense for this level of sloppiness. They asked people to buy into the mystery box. They needed to be more prepared than this. They fumbled.

I brought up the original Rabin story because the question would be whether Wells had planned to bring back the character when he wrote the new Amazing Spider-Man #1. As for whether it's new reader friendly, we should be able to assess that question separate from everything else. It makes sense for Wells to follow-up an earlier story he did with a major artist (Chris Bachalo.) If readers like the idea of Spider-Man VS Mayan villains, they can check out that one story, but they can also follow the current comic without ever checking it out.
    Considering nobody used any of those characters in over 10 years (and the only appearance outside of that one BND story was a cameo appearance in a Fear Itself tie-in), I don't think too many people cared about these characters.

For the purposes of this narrative, was there an obviously better choice than bringing in characters from his own story? If he made up entirely new characters, there's less of a sense of any connection to the character's history. Any story in which Peter and MJ break-up is going to be controversial, so if he had picked other characters, that could further upset fans of those characters or their creators.

I am curious as to how the reputation of the first year of the series is going to change after a few months, as the context changes, and the mystery box is no longer a mystery.
    I'm going to paraphrase Sal from ComicPop on this. When he said even if the What Did Peter Do story was "phenomenal," he stated we know where it leads. "To a really disappointing run on Spider-Man."

So far I haven't seen anyone change their minds on this run because of the previous two issues. People who liked it before still seem to like it, and people who hated it before still seem to hate it.

Astonishing Member

I don't think this is a good defense for this level of sloppiness.
    He's not "defending" the mistake. He's saying that a character name goof isn't an indication that the solution to the mystery wasn't planned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    He's not "defending" the mistake. He's saying that a character name goof isn't an indication that the solution to the mystery wasn't planned out.
    I think if you're asking the audience to become invested in your story, you can't be making these kinds of mistakes. Particularly when you're asking your audience to become invested in a controversial storyline.