Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just don't feel like Wells has established a lot of goodwill on that front, particularly considering all the stories he'd written at this point and even remembering some of his BND stories.
    Yeah, all BND writers in general haven't established a lot of goodwill (except for maybe Roger Stern, but not from his BND work).

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    simple answer Peter isnt in a relationship with Mary Jane so all his comics sucks. I like them enough to continue reading
    Yea this.

I've been having a pretty good time and these last two issues have been great. I've largely enjoyed this run much more than the previous which felt too safe and then all of a sudden because the most convoluted thing ever. Hunted was f***ng great tho.

I really enjoyed the tombstone run and the hobgoblin run of this arc. Dark web was meh but aside from that I've liked it. This new arc has been pretty cool so far. When this is all said and done I thing folks are gonna realize there was a lot of unnecessary complaining.

The kids names thing is almost certainly a clue to something.

Remember how people cried about the coloring on Kindred being inconsistent and that turned out to be 100% intentional?
    Last edited by Toonstrack; 03-29-2023 at 09:54 PM.

Fantastic Member

You know what’s weird is that I haven’t accused anyone who is enjoying this run of faking their enjoyment, but y’all have felt comfortable saying that detractors of the run are essentially faking their disdain of it. It’s really ridiculous.
    If you think the complaints really just boil down to “because he’s not with MJ” you’re not engaging with the criticisms at all. Which is fine, I suppose, if you just want to enjoy your books in peace, but don’t come at people if you’re not even actually reading what they say.
    Last edited by Vegan; 03-30-2023 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Yea this.

I've been having a pretty good time and these last two issues have been great. I've largely enjoyed this run much more than the previous which felt too safe and then all of a sudden because the most convoluted thing ever. Hunted was f***ng great tho.

I really enjoyed the tombstone run and the hobgoblin run of this arc. Dark web was meh but aside from that I've liked it. This new arc has been pretty cool so far. When this is all said and done I thing folks are gonna realize there was a lot of unnecessary complaining.

The kids names thing is almost certainly a clue to something.

Remember how people cried about the coloring on Kindred being inconsistent and that turned out to be 100% intentional?
    Or not.

I mean great for you that you like it but the criticism for this run has been pretty uniform from the start. Beyond and Dark Web didn't salvage or in anyway redeem the core of criticism that was being aimed at marvel. Neither towards their handeling of Ben or the large holes in the plot.

Anyone can like anything but the majority of criticism against this run goes well beyond MJ+Peter. I still feel that the worst thing marvel could do in that regard would be to write it competently and with respect. Because if they did that then I would probably stop caring over time as I am sure others would to. Instead Marvel goes for shock and sensationlism to attract attention.

Even if the kids names are clues or not they remain a drop in a ocean. They have been used mostly because they are an easy example to give, something to point towards to illustrate the problems that exist. If that example should prove to be inentional it doesn't redeem more then that example.

Is this what it felt like reading Brand New Day back in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    You know what’s weird is that I haven’t accused anyone who is enjoying this run of faking their enjoyment, but y’all have felt comfortable saying that detractors of the run are essentially faking their disdain of it. It’s really ridiculous.
    If you think the complaints really just boil down to “because he’s not with MJ” you’re not engaging with the criticisms at all. Which is fine, I suppose, if you just want to enjoy your books in peace, but don’t come at people if you’re not even actually reading what they say.
    Well said!

Nah BND was a time full of potential. Both positive and negative. I would say that there was an influx of users who felt that this was great because they had their own ideas of what they wanted to happen and every issue could be the next great thing. Different writers, new weekly(I think) schedule meant that people where much more focused on what could happen. Here on the CBR, or in media in general, there was a very clear unified front from Marvel. Stephen Wacker and Slott(or perhaps that started when he took over solo) where both profilic and active posters. Sure people complained but in general only the most silly posts got a reply, or the insulting/threatening ones. The crawlspace became a place for people who didn't like OMD or BND that much and it was often referenced in posts here.

CBR felt like a concentrated effort to leave OMD behind and move forward. I felt it was a rather insular fanclub where people where quick to rally behind people from marvel posting. If one should feel that it remains the same but that the pendulum has shifted in the other direction then I would say that back then it was very much a different story. Here you might agree or disagree but in the end you are arguing with a other fans at the same level as you. Back then it felt like you argued with Marvel and their approach was basically: we know what's best and you should be grateful we have fixed this problem.
    Last edited by Malachi; 03-30-2023 at 09:02 AM.

Fantastic Member

Glad I wasn’t on forums back then. If I read that condescending attitude from multiple marvel employees at the same time they were putting out such aggressively mediocre comics, I probably would have dipped out of the entire medium of comics

Glad I wasn’t on forums back then. If I read that condescending attitude from multiple marvel employees at the same time they were putting out such aggressively mediocre comics, I probably would have dipped out of the entire medium of comics
    Many did. Just as there was an influx of new active users many older users also stopped reading or stopped posting, some did both.

Fantastic Member

Extremely well said. There's always an effort to discredit negative opinions when it comes to entertainment. As if there's a difference between expressing a negative opinion or a positive opinion about a piece of work. They're both opinions one doesn't carry more weight than the other and one isn't harmful. That's just how storytelling and entertainment works. You put out a product people either like it or they don't.

I'm secure enough in my opinion that I don't need to belittle those who disagree by implying whatever excuse for their enjoyment of a thing. I'm glad they're enjoying it .I wish I was enjoying it. Nobody is excited or happy to pick up a book read it and not like it. When I read Dark Web I wasn't happy that I didn't like every single issue. I didn't feel like I was validated in my opinion of not enjoying this run. I was disappointed at the waste of my time and attention. Every time I opened an issue I was hoping that this would be the one that turned it around and made me enjoy it.

That didn't happen

Astonishing Member

Back then I just started reading comics, so I'm not the most experienced with what those days were like, but I remember BND feeling less like the start of a new era and more like an awkward phase. There was this sense that OMD could be undone anytime, not that it was the start of a new era that would last 15+ years. Like it was just Byrne's Chapter One again before the next JMS would come along.

Also, the 2000's pre-OMD comics were still fresh on people's minds. Ultimate Spider-Man was still decent. The Spectacular Spider-Man just came out (and we thought that would last years). People were still hyped about Spider-Man 4. Overall, I remember people being more optimistic, even if they were angry.

But Editorial has less control of the narrative now than back then. They practically lost all control of the narrative with Wells' run.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Wells straight up stealing from Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. Lol.

This whole thing is just lifted from other books. Heck, I've seen this story in ASM before. Dimension Z even had the same artist!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Wells straight up stealing from Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. Lol.

This whole thing is just lifted from other books. Heck, I've seen this story in ASM before. Dimension Z even had the same artist!
    Oh, so Paul IS an alternate Peter Parker. I knew it!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Or not.

I mean great for you that you like it but the criticism for this run has been pretty uniform from the start. Beyond and Dark Web didn't salvage or in anyway redeem the core of criticism that was being aimed at marvel. Neither towards their handeling of Ben or the large holes in the plot.

Anyone can like anything but the majority of criticism against this run goes well beyond MJ+Peter. I still feel that the worst thing marvel could do in that regard would be to write it competently and with respect. Because if they did that then I would probably stop caring over time as I am sure others would to. Instead Marvel goes for shock and sensationlism to attract attention.

Even if the kids names are clues or not they remain a drop in a ocean. They have been used mostly because they are an easy example to give, something to point towards to illustrate the problems that exist. If that example should prove to be inentional it doesn't redeem more then that example.
    MJ and Peter is where most of it is coming from though. Theres stuff here i see forgiven in plenty of other series that gets nitpicked or hsrped on here.

The Ben stuff I mean I get being upset if you're a Ben fan boy but im not and I found the whole set up interesting enough to warrant it happening, and I still feel that way even i thought dark web was meh.

But im mostly here to talk about Peter and there's varied criticisms but it all is pretty much colored by the ongoing MJ and Peter situation and that's pretty much been the case since day 1. Having Peter be a little more broody for example is something people actually are often totally ok with in other mediums where that's explored but here its heresy. The book not blowing its hook right away, when it shouldn't ever under any circumstances do that, us another example but many are acting like thats the case. The stuff about spidey saying he needs saved by other characters when the character has never had any aversion to asked or begging for assistance in dire scenarios, is to me at most a minor qualm or nitpick that just makes fights a little more intense feeling which I've been ok with.

Its all loosely held together stuff that gets brought up at all because of the already present feelings about his relationship status. And it comes across sometimes like some people just looking for things to justify the feeling they already have. Not saying its fake dislike or nlt saying everyone is doing that but the perception i see around this run feels more often than not, colored by outside notions of the run. And stuff like a few folks trying to go for some political angle against wells an issue or two back here ln one of the other threads only reinforces stuff like that for me.

I'll be the first to say this run isn't perfect. But I've felt like Peter's dialogue has been well, very much enjoy the way he fights people in this run, I've liked the villains they've used and ice had fun reading it. He and Felicia i always have a soft spot for and they are a fun dynamic. Can't really say much else. I think dark web was the weakest bit but I didn't read the x men parts so meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    MJ and Peter is where most of it is coming from though. Theres stuff here i see forgiven in plenty of other series that gets nitpicked or hsrped on here.

The Ben stuff I mean I get being upset if you're a Ben fan boy but im not and I found the whole set up interesting enough to warrant it happening, and I still feel that way even i thought dark web was meh.

But im mostly here to talk about Peter and there's varied criticisms but it all is pretty much colored by the ongoing MJ and Peter situation and that's pretty much been the case since day 1. Having Peter be a little more broody for example is something people actually are often totally ok with in other mediums where that's explored but here its heresy. The book not blowing its hook right away, when it shouldn't ever under any circumstances do that, us another example but many are acting like thats the case. The stuff about spidey saying he needs saved by other characters when the character has never had any aversion to asked or begging for assistance in dire scenarios, is to me at most a minor qualm or nitpick that just makes fights a little more intense feeling which I've been ok with.

Its all loosely held together stuff that gets brought up at all because of the already present feelings about his relationship status. And it comes across sometimes like some people just looking for things to justify the feeling they already have. Not saying its fake dislike or nlt saying everyone is doing that but the perception i see around this run feels more often than not, colored by outside notions of the run. And stuff like a few folks trying to go for some political angle against wells an issue or two back here ln one of the other threads only reinforces stuff like that for me.

I'll be the first to say this run isn't perfect. But I've felt like Peter's dialogue has been well, very much enjoy the way he fights people in this run, I've liked the villains they've used and ice had fun reading it. He and Felicia i always have a soft spot for and they are a fun dynamic. Can't really say much else. I think dark web was the weakest bit but I didn't read the x men parts so meh.
    So would it be fair to say the people who do like this run only like it because Peter is with Felicia (even though they hardly spend any time together)?