Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think any previous comics established that Peter was so strong that particular magic dinosaur couldn't knock him down.

How is it dishonest?

The writer of the story paced it for a particular schedule. If Amazing Spider-Man were a monthly title, pacing for the revelations would be slightly different. We could figure that the Wells/ Romita Jr issues would be in one monthly title, and there would be another one for the other stories (IE- the Living Brain saga, Dark Web, the Hellfire Gala/ Extinction Day tie-ins.)
    Because ASM was a monthly title most of its publication history. And almost every superhero comic is published monthly. So, the comparision makes sense. Also, you can make the money correlation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Because ASM was a monthly title most of its publication history. And almost every superhero comic is published monthly. So, the comparision makes sense. Also, you can make the money correlation.
    Except it's not a monthly title now, and it hasn't a monthly title for most of the last 15 years.

There has also been a time when one guy was writing Amazing Spider-Man and a satellite title. Weirdly, the difference at the time was that one title was drawn by John Romita Jr and another was illustrated by someone else, so the scenario of Wells writing two titles in a world where Amazing Spider-Man is limited to one issue a month has a lot of precedent.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Except it's not a monthly title now, and it hasn't a monthly title for most of the last 15 years.

There has also been a time when one guy was writing Amazing Spider-Man and a satellite title. Weirdly, the difference at the time was that one title was drawn by John Romita Jr and another was illustrated by someone else, so the scenario of Wells writing two titles in a world where Amazing Spider-Man is limited to one issue a month has a lot of precedent.
    Are you talking about the Mackie/Byrne relaunch in the late 90s? Yeah, that was an awful time to read Spidey. Possibly even worse than now. Mackie wrote adjectiveless with JRJr on art. And Mackie may have been ostensibly the writer on ASM, but most people (including me) think Byrne was either ghost-writing it or at least doing a majority of the plotting.

The title's quality is around the level it was at during the Mackie/Byrne days so it makes sense to invoke that era when discussing the Wells run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The title's quality is around the level it was at during the Mackie/Byrne days so it makes sense to invoke that era when discussing the Wells run.
    Putting that to a vote might be interesting. I think I'd rather read Mackie/Byrne over Wells TASM run. It's that bad. Maybe Dan Slott's TASM Vol. 3 and 4 as well?
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 03-19-2023 at 10:31 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Putting that to a vote might be interesting. I think I'd rather read Mackie/Byrne over Wells TASM run. It's that bad. Maybe Dan Slott's TASM Vol. 3 and 4 as well?
    Gotta disagree. Wells’ run is not good, but I think in this case the passage of time makes everyone forget how bad Mackie/Byrne was. Should I start with Byrne trying to retcon the entire Lee/Ditko run with his Chapter One miniseries debacle, or a recently widowed Peter being sexually assaulted by a 14 year old Mattie Franklin?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Gotta disagree. Wells’ run is not good, but I think in this case the passage of time makes everyone forget how bad Mackie/Byrne was. Should I start with Byrne trying to retcon the entire Lee/Ditko run with his Chapter One miniseries debacle, or a recently widowed Peter being sexually assaulted by a 14 year old Mattie Franklin?
    Fair point.

Astonishing Member

It has its own mystery box with the Senator Ward nonsense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    It has its own mystery box with the Senator Ward nonsense.
    And of course “what happened to Mary Jane? Is she alive/dead?” which they dragged out for a year and a half.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

And of course “what happened to Mary Jane? Is she alive/dead?” which they dragged out for a year and a half.
    Well so far it turns out just trapped in a myan god underworld

Astonishing Member

3 years if Amazing Spider-Man and Peter Parker: Spider-Man were one monthly title.

Over 30 years if they were one annual title!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    3 years if Amazing Spider-Man and Peter Parker: Spider-Man were one monthly title.

Over 30 years if they were one annual title!
    This is not as smart as you think it is.

The comparision is always with monthly titles which is the schedule that almost every superhero title keeps. But whatever makes you feel smart.

Astonishing Member

Imagine if each issue only had 17 pages of story, like in the 1970s, what then??

I don't really care for page count or release rate so much as the actual content.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Making the hero of the book completely incompetent so he can be saved by the writer’s new pet character is sure to make said character catch on!!

Kill me
    So it’s not just me then,…. other readers are recognising this modern trope of Spidey comics- Webs often being portrayed as incompetent/less than amazing and having to be saved by supporting characters. Looks like it’s happening again, only in the 2nd part of a 6 part story. Spidey looking cool in the previous issue had to be undermined ASAP.
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!