Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asm #...2000?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Either that, or something closer to Cyberpunk 2077, which is more an issue of prolonged societal decay than sudden and total societal collapse.
    On a more positive note... we are not far from a cure for aging. Seriously, they already reversed aging in mice.

Which means we are also not far from "We need OMD to prevent Peter from growing into an old man" becoming total garbage. As will "Fans are selfish and want Peter to grow old with them". (You really can't say that if real people stay 30 forever like comic book characters.)

Imagine if the cure for aging is what finally kills OMD. If I'm somehow alive by the time that happens, I'm going to laugh so hard. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    On a more positive note... we are not far from a cure for aging. Seriously, they already reversed aging in mice.

Which means we are also not far from "We need OMD to prevent Peter from growing into an old man" becoming total garbage. As will "Fans are selfish and want Peter to grow old with them". (You really can't say that if real people stay 30 forever like comic book characters.)

Imagine if the cure for aging is what finally kills OMD. If I'm somehow alive by the time that happens, I'm going to laugh so hard. lol
    Wouldn't not aging irl just mean that all 616 characters would also stay their current age, uhh, forever?

Seems like a pathway to a perpetually 29 y.o. Peter (as he has been for the last 30 years, but still)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Wouldn't not aging irl just mean that all 616 characters would also stay their current age, uhh, forever?

Seems like a pathway to a perpetually 29 y.o. Peter (as he has been for the last 30 years, but still)
    616 characters are alresdy staying their current age forever. It's why "fans want Peter to turn grow old with them" was a strawman argument.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I do too, I love that comic. Especially when Miguel meets MJ for the second time.
    Most definitely.

Heh, yeah.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

You just know Marvel would find a way to then have him age, just to keep fans angry.

Mighty Member

Honestly, the World is a lot more boring than that. It just seems we’re closer to the end of the World because we live in a news cycle that pumps stuff out 24/7. Really, the biggest threat we face is environmental, and I’m hoping that as a generation dies out, the next generation would push for cleaner air and greener policies.
    Really, the biggest changes are going to occur in the next 10 years.
    Covid kind of helped with that in a way, but then NFTs happened and kind of started it all over again… But that’s an issue for another time that luckily seems to have died.

Otherwise, I can see comics being around in 40 years.
    Physical media has a tendancy to be close to death every few years, but then some big company messes it all up and we find out why physical media is good.
    Comics are basically a bucket in an Ocean for Marvel and DC. For them, the comics are IP farms. So getting rid of them would be pointless.

Anyway, by #2000, Spider-Man would certainly be different. Hell, it would be under a completely new management team. I wouldn’t be suprised of One More Day has been reversed since then. Either that or the Marriage era would be such a small part of Spider-Man lore that it wouldn’t even matter anymore.
    Doubtful even Gwen would be brought back, he’ll probably be married to someone like Black Cat.

Spider-Man #2000 is going to be written by someone reading it now. We just have to understand the reality that OMD was around before they were possibly born.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Honestly, the World is a lot more boring than that. It just seems we’re closer to the end of the World because we live in a news cycle that pumps stuff out 24/7. Really, the biggest threat we face is environmental, and I’m hoping that as a generation dies out, the next generation would push for cleaner air and greener policies.
    Covid kind of helped with that in a way, but then NFTs happened and kind of started it all over again… But that’s an issue for another time that luckily seems to have died.

Physical media has a tendancy to be close to death every few years, but then some big company messes it all up and we find out why physical media is good.
    Comics are basically a bucket in an Ocean for Marvel and DC. For them, the comics are IP farms. So getting rid of them would be pointless.

Anyway, by #2000, Spider-Man would certainly be different. Hell, it would be under a completely new management team. I wouldn’t be suprised of One More Day has been reversed since then. Either that or the Marriage era would be such a small part of Spider-Man lore that it wouldn’t even matter anymore.
    Doubtful even Gwen would be brought back, he’ll probably be married to someone like Black Cat.

Spider-Man #2000 is going to be written by someone reading it now. We just have to understand the reality that OMD was around before they were possibly born.
    If we take 20 years of marriage and 60 years of publication and layer it over Peter having started being Spider-Man around 15 years ago, we'll get that the marriage lasted 5 years in universe. In 40 years, if the marriage is never reinstated, that would be 3 years in universe (20 years out of 100).

The bolded quote reminds me of a comics pro mentioning that the next Alan Moore is a kid reading My Hero Academia. Woof, does that make me feel old.

Wonder what a floppy will retail for in 40 years...9.99$?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post

Spider-Man does not necessarily have to be different ( although Miles being primary Spider-Man is certainly possible and small changes that fit the era are certainly possible as well). Think about Sherlock Holmes: The two big changes to what is canon, is 1: taking away his cocaine addiction that we saw in the Conan-Doyle originals. 2: In the case of Elementary changing the location from Victorian London to modern NYC, but other then that nothing has changed.

I actually got an advance copy of #2000, and wouldn’t you know it? - Paul’s still running around hogging up valuable panel space!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”