View Poll Results: Are You Tired of the Krakoan Era Yet ??

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I'm Hating it

    37 37.37%
  • No - I'm Enjoying it

    62 62.63%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 75 of 75
  1. #61
    Incredible Member Alex_Of_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Posts
    758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    May 2023 be the year of NO crossovers or big events (except for the Gala). I like the idea of Fall of X impacting all the books but let's let the books coast on their own for the rest of the year after Sins. Goddess please.
    I hope so, too.

    The betting man in me puts forth 400 KrakDollars on a winter mini-event, then another thing come summer. T.T

  2. #62
    Astonishing Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    The he blows up theory was mostly based on his other books. He might have broke the trend this time, but I think no matter the outcome, Krakoa would have been much less the focus going forward. The worldbuilding setup for Krakoa always felt like it was more intended for a temporary use than a permanent new status quo.
    Yes, when Hickman was writing, we had this feeling that things were going somewhere, remember all the theories? When something, a new character, organization or concept was introduced we expected to see how that would play out in the big picture and how good it would be, now we know they will lay around for a while and when it's finally used it will not live to the hype.

    The whole Vulcan thing with Petra and Sway was so promising, the mysterious aliens and all that, and let be honest, at the end Vulcan end up just a jobber manipulated and reprenseting 0 risks. I hope they use the White Sword better when he is finally back, he was the only character introduced in X of Swords I really liked.

  3. #63
    Astonishing Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Krakoa
    Posts
    3,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    May 2023 be the year of NO crossovers or big events (except for the Gala). I like the idea of Fall of X impacting all the books but let's let the books coast on their own for the rest of the year after Sins. Goddess please.
    I can easily see 2023 devoid of BIG crossovers: we already know half of the year's solicits basically and we know from the Summer onwards we'll get Fall of X which has been confirmed as NOT being an event/crossover but rather an umbrella title kicked off by the Hellfire Gala event this year.

    I do see smaller crossover continuing throughout the year though, for example I expect Uncanny Avengers and X-Men to have some connectivity due to having the same writer, but I don't think we're getting any big ones like X of Swords until 2024.

  4. #64
    Braddock Manor Jbenito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    12,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    I hope so, too.

    The betting man in me puts forth 400 KrakDollars on a winter mini-event, then another thing come summer. T.T
    Yeah I can see some kinda mini event within the line in winter. That tracks considering there's no major events aside from the Gala as far as we know so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Yes, when Hickman was writing, we had this feeling that things were going somewhere, remember all the theories? When something, a new character, organization or concept was introduced we expected to see how that would play out in the big picture and how good it would be, now we know they will lay around for a while and when it's finally used it will not live to the hype.

    The whole Vulcan thing with Petra and Sway was so promising, the mysterious aliens and all that, and let be honest, at the end Vulcan end up just a jobber manipulated and reprenseting 0 risks. I hope they use the White Sword better when he is finally back, he was the only character introduced in X of Swords I really liked.
    One of the things Lauren said during the 60th anniversary panel was that with Fall of X we're going to see a lot of dominoes fall that were set up a long time ago, that we the readers will get to see just how far back things were planned. So hopefully they have some serious weight and good payoff to them. Fingers crossed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I can easily see 2023 devoid of BIG crossovers: we already know half of the year's solicits basically and we know from the Summer onwards we'll get Fall of X which has been confirmed as NOT being an event/crossover but rather an umbrella title kicked off by the Hellfire Gala event this year.

    I do see smaller crossover continuing throughout the year though, for example I expect Uncanny Avengers and X-Men to have some connectivity due to having the same writer, but I don't think we're getting any big ones like X of Swords until 2024.
    Yeah I think you and Alex are right that we may get some smaller crossovers within the line. It'd be really awesome to enjoy a reprieve from outside events so the mutants can do their own thing for a while.
    "To hell with your orders, and to hell with who gives them! I will go home to my world and I will tell your lords: No Captain Britain will turn against her sisters!" - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

  5. #65
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    One of the things Lauren said during the 60th anniversary panel was that with Fall of X we're going to see a lot of dominoes fall that were set up a long time ago, that we the readers will get to see just how far back things were planned. So hopefully they have some serious weight and good payoff to them. Fingers crossed.
    Suprise! It turns out everyone is stuck in Age of X-men 2.0, the original never ended and the "real world" events with Cyclops and co. were infact just a parallel fake world to make the resulting combined one more believable feeling for everyone involved.

  6. #66
    Astonishing Member Steroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,997

    Default

    I love the concept of Krakoa and the era gets bonus points from me for FINALLY bringing Synch back to life. That said the execution of the concept has been pretty weak especially since Hickman has left and to be honest I currently have minimal interest in the line other than getting my Synch fix.

  7. #67
    All-New Member wlfking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Love it. Everyone is together! I have so much fun searching the backgrounds for characters I know. Sure that was always possible but here it comes it's more likely and . . . they just seem so happy!

    I suspect it has to end at some point and I'm prepared to see it go. Somewhat reluctantly. Part of me kinda hopes it might stick around in some way. Maybe have it be just where the mutants live and have the books focus more on the teams in the field and slice of life bits in human cities. I mean, they are sufficiently the underdogs of Marvel comics. We don't need to Genosha them again, do we?

    It has been getting a bit slow lately. If it was the writers other than Hickman who insisted this era be extended then I hope they take advantage of it and start telling some great stories.

  8. #68
    Spectacular Member STORM1977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    219

    Default

    I’m hoping for a much longer run for most titles. Red, X-Men, and Immortal definitely need more time. Red especially since its been interrupted twice now.

  9. #69
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    I wouldn't say hate it but I am excited for Fall of X to really shake things up in a big way

  10. #70
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I wouldn't say hate it but I am excited for Fall of X to really shake things up in a big way
    Yeah, that's why I haven't voted... yet. I don't hate it, I'm just not enjoying it much RN. And I haven't seen anything yet, that makes me think I'm going to anytime soon. I'm only reading Scarlet Witch's solo & Captain Marvel/X-Men @this time, nothing else interests me. 'Cause again, it's all about the characters for me, and nothing else has enough of the ones I like to draw me in. Or is doing enough with them and/or that I like, if they do/are.

  11. #71
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,732

    Default

    I like Krakoa and would like to see more development of it, particularly of Arakko.

    OTOH, I also would like to see a few stories about mutants who want nothing to do with Krakoa, and just sort of have their own stuff going on, out in the world. We already know the Morlocks are sitting this Krakoa business out, in a gated community in Arizona, but there are doubtless others. The Chinese mutants of 'China Force' haven't been seen, and are probably still in China. Same with many of the Canadian mutants of Beta/Gamma Flight. Various other nationalist mutants, like Atlantean, Wakandan and Latverian mutants have also not been addressed. There's a ton of potential for X-Men stories involving mutants who *aren't* hanging their cowls on Sentient-Vegetable-What-Eats-Mutants-Island.

    (Indeed, I could see Petra and Sway, in particular, not wanting to spend much time on the island, since it killed and ate them in their last lives. Before I knew that they were supposed to be hallucinations of Vulcan's, I actually thought that was why they were drunk in Vulcan's room on the moon, because the thought of living on that island was existentially horrifying to them!)

    We could have cake and eat cake. Krakoa could still exist for those of us who aren't bored with it yet *and* there could be X-Men titles involving mutants who operate out of the school, or the old Outback base, or anywhere-but-Krakoa and want nothing to do with it. It doesn't have to be a zero-sum game.

  12. #72
    Astonishing Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The Chinese mutants of 'China Force' haven't been seen, and are probably still in China. Same with many of the Canadian mutants of Beta/Gamma Flight. Various other nationalist mutants, like Atlantean, Wakandan and Latverian mutants have also not been addressed. There's a ton of potential for X-Men stories involving mutants who *aren't* hanging their cowls on Sentient-Vegetable-What-Eats-Mutants-Island.
    As far as I can think of, every mutant who chose to side with their countries are portraid as villains or misguided so far. I'm not reading much of it, but for what I read on this forum, they have Ilyana's evil brother in Russia who is evil, Peter Wisdom was betrayed when he chose nationalism over Krakoa and Gentle pretty much deserted Wakanda. Even Sunfire who used to be a patriot have become more loyal to Krakoa than anything else.

  13. #73
    Extraordinary Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    6,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Is anyone else here tired of the Krakoan Era, and having all mutant heroes & villins living and working together. Are you ready to move on to something new ??
    ^^^Since day one.

  14. #74

    Default

    All Iíll say isÖ keeping or changing the setting wonít make a single bit of creative difference as long as the make-up of that office itself remains the same. Echoing all the bored comments.

    Anyway.

    Appreciate you guys succinctly nailing most everything thatís been bothering me:

    Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I like this era we just need new exciting writers.
    And editors.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Also I want some of the family vibes back, we get some baseball scenes every now as well as people hanging out in the lagoon now and then, but it seems like the core characters feels very distant from each other.
    100%. And if it werenít for Leah Williams we wouldnít even have the baseball. Whereís that vibe in the ongoing titles?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    My opinion since the start has been the problem isn't the concept, its how most of the writers engage with the concept. A large portion of the problems with it stem from a) using it more as an aesthetic than an actual setting and concept, w/a lot of surface level stuff but not a ton of actually digging into the concept and the range of possibilities it opens up and b) half the writers seeming genuinely interested in it and various themes it raises while the other half treats it as a source of clickbait and aim more to drum up controversy and discourse than actually explore anything with it.
    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    My issue isn't so much with Krakoa, but rather the lack of dynamic progression from it.

    We've been in a spinning pattern for two years now, when it rightly feels like some serious change should be coming but doesn't.

    And I don't mean change as in Krakoa getting nuked.

    But like the Quiet Council AND X-force should rightly be on the chopping block for all the kinds of fuckery they've been up to.

    Similarly, the metahumans don't feel any closer today than they did at the beginning of the series.
    Yep. Also funny how Beast keeps getting singled out as an egregious example of hero turned villain when so many other characters are presented to us as flatly heroic, but havenít faced any consequences for their inaction that led to the same or worse - well, other than moments of ďbut I felt really sad about it.Ē 😢 Zero self-awareness.

    Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I'm not tired of this era but I am very bored with most of the current titles. I'm tired of the obsession with focusing on the grey areas with the "former" villains. I'm beyond tired of the only using 1 or 2 "hero" mutants in the supposed team books.
    This has been an issue from nearly the start, and yet they just gave Duggan an additional team book. (Itís not under X-editorial, though, so hope springs eternal itís more reminiscent of his last UA run.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    My issue is and will continue to be that for such a big idea the entire thing feels small. I really felt all the mutants together would have created more dynamic storytelling. But instead itís the same storytelling just with Krakoa and a few extra mutants instead of the mansion
    Yup. Especially when itís been the same five characters popping up in every story, on every cover, for years now. If you judged just by some promo artwork and solicits, you might be tricked into thinking the dividing of panel space between characters is more equitable than it has been all era.

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    i'm not going to act like when it a flying off the shelves and doing well digitally marvel stopped the train on their own because of "paper shortage" like "omg lets stop all forms of revenue because shops can't order books" when instead it was the perfect time to test the digital footprint. I don't forget the month long pauses while they shifted the tone, got rid of the diverse writers, broke up the writers room, let percy do whatever he wants because apparently it "sells" but never asked the right question why the one book everyone seems to not be that into is the longest running.
    Bloop.

  15. #75
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    465

    Default

    I'm kind of between, I like Krakoa but I'm also ready for new stuff even if it's a large departure from Krakoa. I agree with some of the points made that Krakoa actually has left a lot unexplored about its setting so far. Really what I feel is most important is for things to feel like they're going somewhere.

    My current enjoyment of the X-line is kind of piecemeal for where my favorite characters or most interesting ideas are siloed off. For example I'm actually really loving the stuff with Arakko and Mars in X-Men Red. One path I could see is having that setting come more sharply into center stage at some point. I will say in a new status quo I still want Krakoa and Arakko to exist in some form, I'll be disappointed if Orchis gets to straight up glass them both with an ultimate Penta-Sentinel or something

    the other part I'm enjoying the most is X-Men, it's threaded the needle of conventional superhero content + mutant plot the best of many recent efforts in my view.
    Last edited by Rising7; 03-19-2023 at 08:40 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •