Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Was kind of bummed the baby wasn’t born by the end of the story.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    A bit harsh. I didn’t think it was weak, but perhaps too introspective and slow.
    I'd sooner mean "weaker than Ben's mini" than "weak altogether", but unfortunately besides the treaded ground having a buried-alive thing happen in Kraven's story for the 3rd time is a bit much. It seems like between this and Kaine burying Kraven alive, one of these has to go just to stop it from feeling gratuituous.

And I’d be surprised if PAD’s symbiote mini didn’t sell well as the black costume usually = $$$.
    PAD's mini sold gangbusters, it's why he went on to do many more books set during the black costume period.

If you want to ‘no prize’ it, Gregor is not exactly the poster child for mental stability, so whatever name he chooses to go by is probably no different than deciding what outfit he wants to wear.
    Yeah, when I said "he relapsed" that's what I meant. It's not a particularly huge deal, but DeMatteis did say he wrote it without much care for what'd come later down the timeline (not that what came before was particularly well accounted for, given how Gregor was supposed to be about Kraven's age when he trained Vladimir and if we go by this book they'd be almost the same age given Gregor's supposed age at Last Hunt), and the only thing that is at "odds" regarding that was him.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    I'd sooner mean "weaker than Ben's mini" than "weak altogether", but unfortunately besides the treaded ground having a buried-alive thing happen in Kraven's story for the 3rd time is a bit much. It seems like between this and Kaine burying Kraven alive, one of these has to go just to stop it from feeling gratuituous.
    Okay, I can see that. It’s like the “Spidey has to save a woman thrown from a bridge” or “Spidey has to lift an incredible weight off his back” tropes. I am also not a fan when classic moments are rehashed for cheap nostalgic thrills.

Yeah, when I said "he relapsed" that's what I meant. It's not a particularly huge deal, but DeMatteis did say he wrote it without much care for what'd come later down the timeline (not that what came before was particularly well accounted for, given how Gregor was supposed to be about Kraven's age when he trained Vladimir and if we go by this book they'd be almost the same age given Gregor's supposed age at Last Hunt), and the only thing that is at "odds" regarding that was him.
    Yeah, in his original 1994 appearances he looked like a middle-aged dude with a scrawny frame and graying temples. It is nice that the dangling thread from ‘Web of Life’ about him swearing revenge was FINALLY followed up on almost 3 decades later, but Gregor must have found an awesome gym to get in that kind of shape. And also keep in mind that Orisha is his mom, so she’s Kraven’s age plus 25-30 years. Those jungle potions are no joke!

I'd say this was a 7/10 series whereas Ben's mini was an 8.5 or even 9/10.
    Ends up sidelining Peter and essentially Aja moves the action forward, which was familiar in an unfortunate, modern Spider-Man way.

But it's so hard to beat a classic writer who just gets the characters, you know. I took the chance to read ASM today, and it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Ends up sidelining Peter and essentially Aja moves the action forward, which was familiar in an unfortunate, modern Spider-Man way.

But it's so hard to beat a classic writer who just gets the characters, you know. I took the chance to read ASM today, and it's not even close.
    thats my problem with this mini
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    The fact Aja crafted a Spider-Armor that was an exact replica of the one that was almost instantly destroyed (and probably undocumented) from Web #100 was a bit of an odd leap. I guess there had to be some way for Spidey to match Gregor blow to blow though. The other weird thing was spoilers:
    Aja dies at the end, and Peter and MJ just have a deep chat with Gregor and go their separate ways with her lying dead in the street? Erm, okay. Maybe I’m starting to see IAmNotJudas’s point about it being weak.
    end of spoilers I think I have to lower my grade from B+ to B/B-. Still enjoyable, but definitely a few head-scratching moments.

she wasnt lying dead in the street he literally takes her body after peter stops him from doing suicide
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    she wasnt lying dead in the street he literally takes her body after peter stops him from doing suicide
    Okay. It’s still weird that, even without his powers, Peter would still just let a murderer walk away scot-free. But anyway…

Quote Originally Posted by hoth82 View Post
    Was kind of bummed the baby wasn’t born by the end of the story.
    Considering that this story is set in 616 there was no chance of that happening anyway. People were kinda settling themselves up for disappointment if they considered that a possibility.

The fact Aja crafted a Spider-Armor that was an exact replica of the one that was almost instantly destroyed (and probably undocumented) from Web #100 was a bit of an odd leap. I guess there had to be some way for Spidey to match Gregor blow to blow though. The other weird thing was spoilers:
    Aja dies at the end, and Peter and MJ just have a deep chat with Gregor and go their separate ways with her lying dead in the street? Erm, okay. Maybe I’m starting to see IAmNotJudas’s point about it being weak.
    end of spoilers I think I have to lower my grade from B+ to B/B-. Still enjoyable, but definitely a few head-scratching moments.
    I think I tripped over my words (story of my life, at that!) because I did mean I think it's weaker than Ben's mini more than 'actually weak', but I do agree with the B- grading myself.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

This book pleases me, I can't wait to see what is coming next! I would like to see JMD's take on Mayday Parker, I think that would be pretty cool.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

For what's worth, from DeMatteis' own homepage on the comments to Lost Hunt's last issue:
    There will be more Spidey in the future, but nothing I can talk about yet!
    http://www.jmdematteis.com/2023/03/t...02048949332647

Astonishing Member

For what's worth, from DeMatteis' own homepage on the comments to Lost Hunt's last issue:

I want a deranged Goblin-era Harry Osborn mini that follows him while he was in hiding and planning his revenge between ‘Child Within’ and SPEC #189/200.

Happy to hear it!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I want a deranged Goblin-era Harry Osborn mini that follows him while he was in hiding and planning his revenge between ‘Child Within’ and SPEC #189/200.
    That would be interesting. It'd be worth it for seeing how DeMatteis could square the Harry Osborn that died a penitent death in his best friend's arms after saving his life one last time with the Harry Osborn that created robotic simulacra of Peter's parents to be unleashed by the Chameleon for the purpose of posthumously tormenting Peter even more and pushing him toward a total mental breakdown.
    The spider is always on the hunt.