Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Will Jon Kent suffer the same destiny as Chris Kent?

The question is simple. You have a son of Superman than suddendly got ana artificial grow-up, developted new strange powers and finally was discarded and send to Limbo.
    And now you got a son of Superman who suddendly got an artificial grow-upm developted new strange powers and... will he discarded in the same way?
    I don't know, but it kind of disturbing how similar can be the development of both characters.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

He's already half way there but I think they sunk too much in him from 5G to write him out anytime soon.

Plus he has more media attention so he'll probably stick around awhile longer.

I feel like they've invested too much in Jon to do that. Also, the Chris thing happened right before a universal reboot. I'm thinking the next time DC decides to reboot, they'll return Jon to a ten year old.

He’s the biological son of Clark and as much as we’d like to think that wouldn’t matter… it totally does. He’s also bisexual and thus the only Super who is male and can date other men (unless they induct Apollo in which I’m still hoping for). I think Jon will endure, he’s in Action after all so he has a place to land once Taylor’s mini ends, but good God did Taylor destroy him. Everything I liked about the kid under Tomasi, that he was scrappy, that he didn’t take **** from anyone, that he had a lot of the Pre-Crisis Superman concepts to play with? Taylor destroyed all of that in favor of making him a bland wet noodle who never wants to hurt anyone because that’s not wholesome and he dated an equally bland boyfriend who is a reporter.

At this point he’s washed, only way to fix him would be to jettison everything Taylor did (except for the bisexuality) and I don’t think editorial has the balls to do that. Oh well, at least I have Kenan who actually DID deliver on the same kind of potential as Jon, and Conner is still fixable, we’ll see where Kon stands after his upcoming mini. I don’t think Jon vanishes or gets deaged but he’ll be like Tim, sitting in the back and only trotted out for Pride specials.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Jon is already an important part of Superman mythos, whoever likes or hates it. He appeared in outside media, and at some point he will make his debut in movies, although, unless Legacy is happening years before the rest of Gunn's DCU projects, it's unlikely to happen soon.
    So, he will keep his place. He actually has more chances than Connor.

Reminds me of that meme from when the fake first appeared when Bendis created him. I've looked for it a few times since, but no luck. It showed a group of previously discarded Super kids that met the fate that Chris Kent did (he was one of them).

Even with the "push" (really, was it Jon that was pushed, or was it Taylor's OCs?), fakeJon has been kind of circling the drain, delayed because of iffy events and writers that utterly failed to actually give this version an actual character/personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s the biological son of Clark and as much as we’d like to think that wouldn’t matter… it totally does. He’s also bisexual and thus the only Super who is male and can date other men (unless they induct Apollo in which I’m still hoping for). I think Jon will endure, he’s in Action after all so he has a place to land once Taylor’s mini ends, but good God did Taylor destroy him. Everything I liked about the kid under Tomasi, that he was scrappy, that he didn’t take **** from anyone, that he had a lot of the Pre-Crisis Superman concepts to play with? Taylor destroyed all of that in favor of making him a bland wet noodle who never wants to hurt anyone because that’s not wholesome and he dated an equally bland boyfriend who is a reporter.

At this point he’s washed, only way to fix him would be to jettison everything Taylor did (except for the bisexuality) and I don’t think editorial has the balls to do that. Oh well, at least I have Kenan who actually DID deliver on the same kind of potential as Jon, and Conner is still fixable, we’ll see where Kon stands after his upcoming mini. I don’t think Jon vanishes or gets deaged but he’ll be like Tim, sitting in the back and only trotted out for Pride specials.
    What about Jay Nakamura? Do you think he's salvageable?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

If the character doesn't bring anything to the table..The character going away is better.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    What about Jay Nakamura? Do you think he's salvageable?
    Maybe but I’m petty. I’d rather toss everything Taylor did out then try and salvage his stuff. It’s not fair that he comes in and does a terrible job, then someone else fixes his broken concepts, and Taylor gets to give the interviews about what a good job he did like how Liefeld gets credit for Deadpool even though Joe Kelly is the one who created the Deadpool people actually like. With Jay specifically I just hate that he’s a reporter, and they even made a big deal of Jon dating a reporter like his dad. Jon not being Clark was part of the whole appeal for me, so Jon dating a reporter is the opposite of what I want.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    I feel like they've invested too much in Jon to do that. Also, the Chris thing happened right before a universal reboot. I'm thinking the next time DC decides to reboot, they'll return Jon to a ten year old.
    The fact they invest so much in a charactyer it is not guarantee they are going to back them forever if they fail. Many characters had their share of success and now are forgotten or just sit in the side lines, waiting for a second moment of glory.

Honestly, I don't know if Jon still keeps the appeal he had in the beggining, when he was the kid son of Superman. Another teenage Superman, along with Connor and Kenan it made him a repeated trope. Maybe some people would sya than because he is the kid son of SUperman he is protected, but that, I don't know hwow valid can be. What pretect them is good stories and presence. If Jon fails as an story, he isn't guarantee to stay.
    The point is than they can't just either erase him, but, worse destinies can away for him.

Also, there is another point I just thought about:
    Teen Jon in someway have a media synergy back in the form of the series Superman & Lois, where a teen version of Jon exists. But at the moment Superman: Legacy makes his debut, probably with a younger Superman, then the chances to Jon to be either erased or returned to an early age is bigger. And why? A teenage son make Superman more older and if the movie wants a younger Superman, Jon being a teenager/young adult becomes a problem.

And to put it in context, I must remind you than in the year of the debut of Chris Kent, 2006, was also the year when Superman Returns came to cinemas, where another son of Superman also appeared. We can't ignore how movie can affect comics stories.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    The fact they invest so much in a charactyer it is not guarantee they are going to back them forever if they fail. Many characters had their share of success and now are forgotten or just sit in the side lines, waiting for a second moment of glory.

Honestly, I don't know if Jon still keeps the appeal he had in the beggining, when he was the kid son of Superman. Another teenage Superman, along with Connor and Kenan it made him a repeated trope. Maybe some people would sya than because he is the kid son of SUperman he is protected, but that, I don't know hwow valid can be. What pretect them is good stories and presence. If Jon fails as an story, he isn't guarantee to stay.
    The point is than they can't just either erase him, but, worse destinies can away for him.

Also, there is another point I just thought about:
    Teen Jon in someway have a media synergy back in the form of the series Superman & Lois, where a teen version of Jon exists. But at the moment Superman: Legacy makes his debut, probably with a younger Superman, then the chances to Jon to be either erased or returned to an early age is bigger. And why? A teenage son make Superman more older and if the movie wants a younger Superman, Jon being a teenager/young adult becomes a problem.

And to put it in context, I must remind you than in the year of the debut of Chris Kent, 2006, was also the year when Superman Returns came to cinemas, where another son of Superman also appeared. We can't ignore how movie can affect comics stories.
    That's why I'm saying he'll probably get rebooted into a ten year old.

If Conner came out it would soften the impact of Jon being de-aged.
    I still think that would've been the better way to go, Tim Drake and Conner would be a better couple than either Jon and Jay and Tim and Bernard, and we'd have kid Jon back who was a more unique character than having Jon as Superman in the same age range as Conner.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    If Conner came out it would soften the impact of Jon being de-aged.
    I still think that would've been the better way to go, Tim Drake and Conner would be a better couple than either Jon and Jay and Tim and Bernard, and we'd have kid Jon back who was a more unique character than having Jon as Superman in the same age range as Conner.
    Yeah and all we have to do is throw Conner under the bus because you TimKon shippers want to live in the 90s/00s with your ship. I’ll pass on that thanks, I hope Conner gets a gf soon so the weirdo Tim fans will leave him alone. Tim’s a dead weight now and the less Conner is associated with him the better he’ll be.

Yeah and all we have to do is throw Conner under the bus because you TimKon shippers want to live in the 90s/00s with your ship. I’ll pass on that thanks, I hope Conner gets a gf soon so the weirdo Tim fans will leave him alone. Tim’s a dead weight now and the less Conner is associated with him the better he’ll be.
    On that I agree. Give Conner a new girlfriend again. That would be the relationship more dramatic. Conner always will look Tim as a friend and nothing more.

De-aging Jon and giving Conner a high profile coming out and a relationship that has a fan base would give Conner a boost in visibility, far from throwing him under the bus. Tim is more prominent now than he's been in years.