Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I figured Gunn's DCEU would use Jon because they are focusing on Damian. The Supersons feels like the next step for Damian beyond him forming bonds with the other members of the Batfamily.

Adaptations tend to cut characters, replace them or condense larger casts into smaller sizes. Plus Gunn would do his own thing so maybe Supersons wouldn't get adapted.

Damian has other friendships to explore beyond his time with Jon.

I thought Jon getting adapted would give him more of a safety net than Chris but maybe its not that assured.
    Thank you Mr.Kenway. Damian have his presence in the movieverse confirmed, but Jon is uncertain, because if Gunn goes with a young Superman, a teen Jon is an absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    So far Jordan and Jon are my preferred versions of Jon so I'm hoping they adapt his adult arcs for Superman and Lois.

I imagine he's good for the next decade but whether or not he stick around for the next century is anyone's guess.
    Well, I think there is a divided Jon more like. Maybe even Jordan makes the transition to comics, but first we must see if Jon follows the steps of Koryak and Prince Arn, also sons of notable fathers.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

It’s only matter of time before he gets rebooted to be a kid. Editorial is just beings stubborn

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Tim can’t even get a book past 12 issues
    Tim has had a series break over 180 issues before

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Tim has had a series break over 180 issues before
    With emphasis on "before". like fifteen years ago. Last series didn't reach the year.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    It’s only matter of time before he gets rebooted to be a kid. Editorial is just beings stubborn
    We will see. I have seen that happen before and usually it is an improvement.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    What would make it a goldmine?

Tim is

Tim is prominent for all the wrong reasons. Other than that, I don't get why everyone is being aggressive, or that's how I'm taking it.

Now, answering the question.

Jon has never carried a successful ongoing book, each and everyone of his titles were canceled. That's a big strike. His only real successes have been in books like DCeased and Superman. Uhm, 5G died and well, so did the reason why Jon was aged up. If DC Comics were to return Jon back to being a kid, they could breath new life into the character and probably bring back Super Sons.
    And that really gets to the heart of the matter...Teen Jon has no purpose. He's not interesting...and has had 2 failed ongoings in under 5 years. Literally everything was tied to the 5G initiative...once it was abandoned...Teen Jon needed to go with it. At this point...they really have nothing to lose by de-aging him.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    And that really gets to the heart of the matter...Teen Jon has no purpose. He's not interesting...and has had 2 failed ongoings in under 5 years. Literally everything was tied to the 5G initiative...once it was abandoned...Teen Jon needed to go with it. At this point...they really have nothing to lose by de-aging him.
    Nothing to lose except money.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Nothing to lose except money.
    That might be true if the 10 year old version wasn't way more popular with fans than teen Jon ever has been. I can guarantee in any poll you did kid Jon would beat out teen Jon by a 2 to 1 margin every time. Probably even higher.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That might be true if the 10 year old version wasn't way more popular with fans than teen Jon ever has been. I can guarantee in any poll you did kid Jon would beat out teen Jon by a 2 to 1 margin every time. Probably even higher.
    Let's put that to the test atleast on this forum..made poll for those interested.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    You misunderstand me, I meant by not de-aging Jon.

I wonder if Super Sons is really an option anymore? Damian is one of few characters who keeps aging so at some point it will start to look silly. Or maybe in few more years Damian will catch up with Jon and they'll be ablde to do adult version of Super Sons.

edited post.

Astonishing Member

If Legacy takes place way earlier, than the rest of DCU, especially Brave and Bold, then there will be a chance for Super Sons to be a thing in DCU. But if it all happens at about the same time, then Super Sons with their usual dynamics will simply be impossible, unless there's some time travel shenanigans.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I wonder if Super Sons is really an option anymore? Damian is one of few characters who keeps aging so at some point it will start to look silly. Or maybe in few more years Damian will catch up with Jon and they'll be ablde to do adult version of Super Sons.
    I think it could still work if both were gradually aged up together, that's where the chemistry comes from. A retcon back to childhood and then having them both age at the same rate would be very interesting to see, and it would also be a way for DC to reaffirm Jon's bisexuality at the appropriate time.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Isn't there a Super Son back up being written? The whole Jace and Jon thing was 5G, and well, yeah we see what happened there. There's no reason to keep Jon and Damian apart. I think if you play up the whole "I won't accept you're older than me" and still act like the leader bit with Damian, you can get mileage out of Teen Jon.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Tim's book died it's slow painful death, not because Tim is no longer relevant or of substantial use, but because it was written by a writer who didn't seem to have a clue how to write outside of poor convention tropes and juvenile drama.
    Why can't gay or bi guys have straight guy friends? There's absolutely zero need to make Kon gay to support Tim. Keeping Kon straight can make for a stronger dynamic between the two (when given a proper writer.)
    The unfortunate thing is that Jon will probably outlast Kon. Simply because he is the biological son of Superman. It really does set Kon up for a dramatic demise/sacrifice at some point. As for Jay...unlike Bernard who seriously just needs to ride off into the sunset to be forgotten as barely a footnote, Jay can serve some really cool story beats and character development. It needs to be as a villain and serve to elevate Jon's character growth, but we need payoff on Batman's suggestion. Likewise it can serve to set up Jon having a thing for the bad boy personality (or bad girl if Jon is ever written as having an interest in a female character because in all honesty, so far he's only been written as gay. He's never once had an interest in a female character.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think perhaps it's less that Tim's moment has passed, and more that the moment has passed for Tim-as-he's-always-been.

Tim was great as Robin. He has a long list of major accomplishments in the role. But the environment where he thrived has changed, and he hasn't changed with it. It's evolve or die and Tim's largely still stuck in 1996.

Making him bi was never more than a marketing gimmick. It's great to have that kind of representation on a big name IP like Robin and I can buy into the "continuity" argument that he was repressing himself until recently. But does it make a huge, massive change to the character that not only updates him but gives him a new space/dynamic to occupy successfully? No, it just means he can date dudes who will be treated like damsels in distress, just like the (non-hero) girls were. Making Tim LBGT is nice, but it's an adjustment to the "love interests" subsection, not a complete character update like he needs. The fact that he's still Robin proves that the real disconnect hasn't been dealt with. He's still seen as occupying the same space he always did, but the entire map has changed and he doesn't fit no matter how they twist him around.

My thought is that you can't really fix Tim, or Conner, or any of their peers until you address their age. These guys are still treated like they're sixteen when they should be closer to twenty-five. They're literally out of step with the rest of DC's post-Damian/Jon timeline; of course they're not gonna be successful in this environment when they're not allowed to change with it.

This goes for the whole YJ generation, but Tim needs more than a new code-name and costume. He needs more than a new love interest, new school, new friends, or new team. I think if you want Tim to work now, you need progression. Re-insert him into the timeline at his proper age. How old was he towards the end of post-Crisis? Eighteen, nineteen? Damian had just shown up at ten, he's now fourteen, so Tim should be about twenty three or so? That's a vastly different place from being a student barely old enough to drive. What is twenty three year old Tim Drake doing with his life? Whatever it is, it's probably not sidekicking for Batman or solving mysteries in Gotham....like he was doing in 1996.
    Tim was 17, he dropped out of school to take over Wayne Enterprises, while Steph, a year older, went off to college. So based on Damian's age, Tim should be 21 now, and Steph should be 22. Conner's the bigger problem, as he debuted in Death of Superman and Jon was born some time after that. As a result, 11 years should've passed since DOS, and that would make Conner 27 (which is too old, as his apparent age should be the same as Tim's). Jon's origin is incompatible with Young Justice entirely, and needs an update. He should be 11 AFTER the Bendis age up rather than before, if you want the mathematics to work out!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman