Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I know it got a ton of publicity, but there's been nothing since then. And honestly, it confused a number of more casual fans wondering why Clark was skinnier and not with Lois (it was advertised as "SUPERMAN" not "Jon Kent Superman"), again. Until it was pointed out that this was Clark's son. Which in itself raised more questions.
    Yep. The kiss raised sales for all of one issue...and then sales dropped right back down. Teen Jon just isn't popular enough to cause much backlash over being removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Yep. The kiss raised sales for all of one issue...and then sales dropped right back down. Teen Jon just isn't popular enough to cause much backlash over being removed.
    Yeah they don't need to "do away with him"... they just need to sideline him... then forget he ever existed... and bring back Chris Kent.

I'm not sure how Jon has been sidelined when he is currently starring in his own mini. It's been pretty good so far too. Also *gasp* he even kissed his boyfriend again in the latest issue. So I'm not sure how DC has pulled back from that part of his story either. Sounds like most of you don't read Jon's stories and maybe don't actually know what you're talking about. And before any of you come back with, "He only has a mini now.", so what? It seems to be DC's current model for any characters that aren't Clark or Bruce and honestly I'm fine with that. I'd rather have 2 good minis a year than 12 hit or miss monthly issues.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I'm not sure how Jon has been sidelined when he is currently starring in his own mini. It's been pretty good so far too. Also *gasp* he even kissed his boyfriend again in the latest issue. So I'm not sure how DC has pulled back from that part of his story either. Sounds like most of you don't read Jon's stories and maybe don't actually know what you're talking about. And before any of you come back with, "He only has a mini now.", so what? It seems to be DC's current model for any characters that aren't Clark or Bruce and honestly I'm fine with that. I'd rather have 2 good minis a year than 12 hit or miss monthly issues.
    Hunh? Are you actually reading stuff? I was making a hypothetical not talking about how it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Would be funny if Conner manages to outlast his replacement, while Tim slides into irrelevance. Unless morons at Batman's office decide to destroy Conner in an attempt to help Tim.
    Conner wouldn't be destroyed though. This is a new era where sexual fluidity is more acceptable, Conner could date Tim and go right back to dating Cassie and people wouldn't think less of him. Also almost everyone is underestimating the magnitude of how relatable a Conner/Tim romance would be. Most masculine gay guys have had a crush on their straight friend (who wouldn't give them the time of day) that they secretly obsess over and suffer in silence. If that unrequited love were to become mutual it would be the kind of dramatic bombshell of wish fullfilment that comic books were made for. Tim and Conner would be the Tyler the Creator and A$ap Rocky of the medium and Cassie would be Rihanna.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    When Jon came out as bisexual and his same-sex kiss cover dropped that whole event was pretty damn big in the mainstream media as I recall. The headline "DC does away with Bisexual Superman" would go over poorly I think. So, Jon has an extra layer of protection against removal Chris didn't.
    And lets not forget what is going on with this country right now with the anti LGBTQA+ pushback.

Look at what Disney dealing with alone.

Disagree.

Characters of marginalized backgrounds (gender, race, orientation, disability, etc) get shelved or undone all the time in comix.

John Henry Irons went from super-prominent to damn near forgotten.

Barbara Gordon went from disabled to able-bodied.

If DC could and did weather those PR backlashes, it can do the same with Jon.

Don't think DC won't do a move because of bad optics when they have a proven track record of doing just that.
    That is because the RIGHT (or WRONG) person didn't start chirping on any of those.

Sooner than later SOMEONE is going to come sniffing for Jon Kent, Batwoman, Tim, Nubia, Catwoman, Aqualad and ESPECIALLY Harley.

Do you really want to toss away Jon and Tim when they come sniffing?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I know it got a ton of publicity, but there's been nothing since then. And honestly, it confused a number of more casual fans wondering why Clark was skinnier and not with Lois (it was advertised as "SUPERMAN" not "Jon Kent Superman"), again. Until it was pointed out that this was Clark's son. Which in itself raised more questions.
    While Teen Jon may not be super popular, I don't think it is as unpopular as people on here like to believe.

By today's legacy standards, his solo series sold well, it sold about the same as Damian recent Robin series, and by the time both books were 'canceled' it was estimated that both books were still selling well above 25000 units closer to 30000 units, also it seems like the first two trades of SSOKE also did okay.

Even, among books released this week on Amazon, the only DC book doing better than, Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent was Batman.

I think Jon's fate depends on how well his character does post Taylor.

When Jon came out as bisexual and his same-sex kiss cover dropped that whole event was pretty damn big in the mainstream media as I recall. The headline "DC does away with Bisexual Superman" would go over poorly I think. So, Jon has an extra layer of protection against removal Chris didn't.
    You know queer kids exist, right? Deaging Jon doesn't affect his sexuality at all.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    You know queer kids exist, right? Deaging Jon doesn't affect his sexuality at all.
    I know that. When did I ever say or imply I didn't? However, the romance with Jay goes away unless Jay gets de-aged too. The optics of such a thing would be bad in the mainstream.

Finally, I was referencing if Jon disappears completely as Chris did not if they de-age him.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-05-2023 at 06:30 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I know that. When did I ever say or imply I didn't? However, the romance with Jay goes away unless Jay gets de-aged too. The optics of such a thing would be bad in the mainstream.

Finally, I was referencing if Jon disappears completely as Chris did not if they de-age him.
    And the reason Jon can't find a boy his age is because...?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And lets not forget what is going on with this country right now with the anti LGBTQA+ pushback.
    Yeah it's gotten so bad some of the LGB people are also pushing back.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    And the reason Jon can't find a boy his age is because...?
    I suppose he could, it is up to DC Creative. I hate Jay he's useless, IMHO, so good riddance I'd say in such an instance.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah it's gotten so bad some of the LGB people are also pushing back.
    Indeed, which is an important part of the reason I don't think DC wants to send a message by getting rid of Jon as they did Chris. The optics would understandably be terrible.

Indeed, which is an important part of the reason I don't think DC wants to send a message by getting rid of Jon as they did Chris. The optics would understandably be terrible.
    Just saying; but DC does have a history of doing some pretty messed up things in their stories. Brutally beating and then blowing up Jason Todd, using Barbara Gordon as little more than a plot device for Joker and Batman while paralyzing her after shooting her, making Hal Jordan a child predator, Kyle Rayner's girlfriend being the original and literal fridged female character, Identity Crisis as a whole, etc.

I'm not saying to undo Jon being bi if/when he gets aged back to where he's supposed to be. In fact, I support him being bi at a younger age, which will help reach kids going through that. Just that DC has done some pretty horrific/messed up things before. Some not so long ago in Heroes in Crisis, and hell, Jon in Bendis' writing right from the get go (and people look the other way with Lois and Clark having 2 more young kids after the crap parenting they did with Jon?).

Where is Batwoman currently?

i don't think Dc has an issue with benching characters. marginalized or not.

Jon's not going anywhere. Not because of his sexuality [that shouldn't be a pass that guarantee's publication] Jon is selling. He has okay sales and he's showing up in outside media. there's so much more they are yet to do with him so I don't see DC getting rid of him either.