Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default SHAZAM: FURY OF THE GODS reactions w/spoilers!

Saw it earlier today. I thought it was good and worth seeing at the theater rather than waiting for streaming, but, to me, it was not as good as the first one.

I think the big problem for me was that we really didn't see the kids as kids too much except for Jack Dylan Grazer as Freddy. The first movie was all about Billy Batson and Asher Angel had major screen time and went through a character arc during the movie. In this one, Angel basically has a cameo role, which is a shame because I really liked the dynamic between Billy and Freddy from the first one.

Shazam 2 was overstuffed with characters and concepts to the point that I thought that they were all underserved from a story perspective.

Action was good, but felt redundant after awhile -- lots of growling monsters just can't get me invested in them.

Of course, I did like the cameo of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. I stayed away from the trailers and spoilers, but I still caught some chatter that she might be in the movie. I guess the post-credit scene where Amanda Waller's staff tries to recruit Captain Marvel into the JSA was tacked on at James Gunn's request, so even though it looks as though this movie will tank badly, Zach Levi might still have a future in Gunn's DCU -- just not in any more solo movies.

I rated the first one as A-. I'd give this one a B+ because what I did like, I liked a lot, but the lack of significant scenes with Asher Angel's Billy and the other kids was really super-noticeable to me and was something I just couldn't overlook while watching the movie.

The fact that the movie has been in wide release since yesterday and there was no discussion thread for it says a lot about how badly this movie will do at the box office. Guess that takes the heat off Marvel and Ant-Man now.

Extraordinary Member

Shazam! Fury of the Gods CinemaScore Matches Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman 1984
    Shazam! Fury of the Gods was released in theaters this weekend, and it's not expected to do too well at the box office, which could have something to do with the movie's poor critical reception. Currently, the sequel is up on Rotten Tomatoes with a 54% critics score, which is significantly lower than the first film's 90%. However, Shazam! Fury of the Gods does have a much higher audience score. The movie currently has an 85% audience score, which is higher than the first film's 82%. Of course, not nearly as many moviegoers have reviewed the sequel yet since it's only been out for a few days. Currently, Shazam! Fury of the Gods does have a CinemaScore that is more in line with its audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. The movie has a B+, which matches some surprising DC films, including the poorly recieved Suicide Squad (2016) and Wonder Woman 1984.
    "��️ The grade is in for @ShazamMovie – it's a B+ #CinemaScore! What did you think of the movie? Comment below ��," @CinemaScore shared on Twitter. You can check out their post below:
    https://comicbook.com/dc/news/shazam...er-woman-1984/

I agree, definitely pretty good and fun. I'd see it again, but between Super Mario Bros, Flash Dune 2, my theatre experience is going to be packed this year!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

My kids and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Personally I liked it more than the first. Loved the WW cameo (fitting).

It's a shame WBD won't do any marketing anymore. If I hadnt googled a month ago upcoming superhero movies I wouldn't have even known it was coming out this month. When I asked the kids if they wanted to go see it they didn't even know it was out. I mean they didn't promote Black Adam either but at least the Rock did a little on his socials. Yet they can spend millions on a single superbowl ad for the Ezra Miller Flash??? There's something hugely wrong there. Courtesy of heavy marketing they managed to make a box office success out of the crap that was the first Suicide Squad movie but can't even make the public aware other movies are out.

I seenits got an audience score of 87% on rotten tomatoes.nonce again the critics don't have a clue. They haven't gotten a single rating in line with audience for a superhero movie since mid Marvel phase 2.

Astonishing Member

Honestly, I enjoyed the heck out of it! Its been ages since I saw the first one, and that might have been the better-made film, but this one was certainly the more enjoyable one It certainly had everything you'd want for a great time at the movies...pretty good action and CGI, great comedy, and above all, a lot of heart! Not every superhero movie needs to be TDK or Logan or even Avengers Endgame. Nor does the worth of every superhero movie need to be gauged solely by how well it fits into shared universe 'plans' or how much the critics like (or hate) it...

Zachary Levi does a great job of course. Didn't see much of Asher Angel in this but he was pretty good in his few scenes. The real scene-stealer here was Jack Dylan Grazer as Freddy Freeman! His arc was the one I was most invested in throughout the film. Grace Caroline Curry was pretty good as well. The rest of the kids I didn't pay much attention too, but they all had their moments to shine...Darla in particular. Djimon Hounsou was EPIC as the Wizard!

The Gal Gadot cameo as Wonder Woman was great. IMO, its probably one of the best 'shared universe' cameos in a DC film (or a superhero film) in general in a while. Usually these scenes tend to feel a bit shoehorned in or pure fanservice. Here, Wonder Woman actually gets to play a critical role in the plot, literally bringing out protagonist back to life! I dunno if Gadot is going to be back in Gunn's new DCU (or even in The Flash), but if this was the last hurrah for her character, its a pretty good way to cap off her time in the role.

I came away from the theatre wanting Shazam 3, and I do hope it does at least decently box office-wise to justify a sequel. Imagine Shazam going up against Dr. Sivana, Mr. Mind and the Monster Society of Evil...with the JSA by his side!

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Imagine Shazam going up against Dr. Sivana, Mr. Mind and the Monster Society of Evil...with the JSA by his side!
    OMG I hadn't thought of that. That would be epic.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Grade: B

I found it to be a fun film, and that was what I expected going into it. Thought the Daughters of Atlas was a good original idea, their motive made logically sense.
    The final fight sequences were lots of fun. As an aside what did Skittles pay for that advertising drop!!
    The Wonder Woman cameo was spot on and in context of the theme of Gods/Goddesses. That makes a much more enjoyable last look at Gal Gadot's WW than her '84 film.
    It is a shame that the final credit scene with Mister Mind is likely to never have a pay off. However, revisiting that was a nice touch sine it was alluded he'd be the main foe in a sequel.

People should see it at least once in the theater, worth that.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

Unfortunately, they are saying it did not do well at the box office. Sad news.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ng-1235355902/

"Box Office: ‘Shazam! Fury of the Gods’ Opens to Dismal $30.5M Domestically. The sequel's opening marks one of the worsts starts for a title in the DC Cinematic Universe, including those released during the pandemic."

Didn't see how this was any better/worse than most other superhero movies (outliers notwithstanding).

I think I liked the first a bit better. Shazam/Captain Marvel is a comic character I've made many attempts to like, but it just hasn't worked out. His movies are a slightly different story when comparing DC movies.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I loved it, nice continuation of the first movie, do agree that they have rather too many characters though I appreciate they are trying to highlight the team as much as Shazam himself. The WW cameo was awesome, hoping this means there’s a future for Gal in the DCU. I don’t know how ideal it is including cameos from characters from an R rated project like Peacemaker though. Hoping there is plans for a Justice Society movie with Shazam on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Shazam! Fury of the Gods CinemaScore Matches Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman 1984

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/shazam...er-woman-1984/

Both Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman 1984 also underperformed very much at box office as the article stated. WW84 had a budget of $200 million and earned a profit of only $169 million. what a big loss.

The Shazam 2 director even admitted he knew it was going to be a box office flop.

It's only a few days, so If Shazam 2 won't generate enough profit by the next week to cover those losses, then it will have flopped very much. No Shazam 3, maybe.

if Aquaman 2 movie doesn't save the DC movie franchise, nothing will.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

The DC cinematic universe is in its own Crisis mode. The success or failure of Shazam 2 and Aquaman 2 is irrelevant.
    James Gunn is doing new movies and establishing a new paradigm and continuity.....unfortunately.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Both Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman 1984 also underperformed very much at box office as the article stated. WW84 had a budget of $200 million and earned a profit of only $169 million. what a big loss.
    The Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman 1984 also released day-and-date on HBO Max.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Uh, WW84 debuted during the heart of the 'rona and TSS also debuted during the omnicron.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post

The Shazam 2 director even admitted he knew it was going to be a box office flop.

It's only a few days, so If Shazam 2 won't generate enough profit by the next week to cover those losses, then it will have flopped very much. No Shazam 3, maybe.

if Aquaman 2 movie doesn't save the DC movie franchise, nothing will.
    Actually Suicide squad didn't underperformed. It had an opening world wide weekend of $133M on a production budget of $175m. Because it was a little sift they went and spent an extra $90M on marketing taking it to $150M and it finished just shy of $750M in its full run in theatres.

WW84 had a much worse start with only a $39M world wide opening weekend onnits $200M production budget. ÌIRC it only did $17M domestically opening weekend. Ironically, they pulled out of marketing after the flop opening. Had they doubled down like they did with SS it may have done much better.

So Shazam 2's opening of $64M ww vs a budget of $125M is markedly better than WW84. No where nearnas good as SS that actually was very far from a flop but was in actual fact one of DC's best box office performances.

Opening weekends of around the $65M tend to bring in around $200m. Openings of around $40m tend to bring in between 170-180m. Even if it's only $180 to 200m total boxnoffice that makes it profitable (which WW84 wasnt)