Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-Men Monday #196 – Charlie Jane Anders Talks ‘New Mutants: Lethal Legion’

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/03/20/x-...e-jane-anders/

AIPT: Finally, what else can you tease about the New Mutants: Lethal Legion issues to come?

Charlie Jane: Things are about to go off, and it’s only going to be a wilder and wilder ride from here on out. Lethal Legion tryouts are just as chaotic as you’d expect, and we managed to bring back some Z-list villains who haven’t appeared in years, or even decades. We’re going to see a lot more of the sewer dragon that’s taken an interest in Wolfsbane and Morgan. And Mirage and Karma will be forced to step in and take charge of a messy situation with Count Nefaria and the new Lethal Legion.

And this week's eXclusive images:

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

AIPT: Krakoa certainly has its detractors (both in the Marvel Universe and among readers), so it’s interesting to see a mutant like Morgan Red being such a vocal critic of what Xavier, Magneto, and Moira built. As a writer, why is it important to show this alternative point of view in New Mutants: Lethal Legion?

Charlie Jane: One of my favorite things about the Krakoa era is mutants debating about Krakoa, and having very different ideas about it. I think there are legitimate debates to be had about the notion of a mutant homeland, especially after all the disasters in the past, and nationalism is also a very fraught topic these days.

I think with Morgan, it’s partly about having philosophical issues with a mutant separatist state, but also about feeling as though the “mutant” label does not define them. Morgan is also trans, Chinese, Jewish, and asexual, and those things also matter. Also, I think Morgan is feeling a little isolated, because he thought Escapade was on the same page about Krakoa, and then Escapade runs off to hang out there and make a whole new set of friends. Morgan kind of feels as though Krakoa stole their best friend.
    I just might check this out and I wish more writers took the time to work on characters at this level. Children of the Atom was the closest I felt being that type of book. Maybe I should have given New Mutants a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    More selene please

I love her as a villian and I feel like post Fall of X we can have more Mutant bad guys "We tried, but you bit the hand that feed you"
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    More selene please

I love her as a villian and I feel like post Fall of X we can have more Mutant bad guys "We tried, but you bit the hand that feed you"
    i think it's Morgan le Fay
    is that supposed to be Gambit or Sabertooth?

Yeah that's Morgan but I have a new theory that the "large amount of mutant blood" Brousseau wants is to resurrect Selene. Coven still has her body.

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post

Sabretooth. For sure.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Watch Kate get drunk before all hell breaks loose for her in Fall of X!

Yeah that's Morgan but I have a new theory that the "large amount of mutant blood" Brousseau wants is to resurrect Selene. Coven still has her body.
    You may be on to something
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

There are quite a few good things here like their take on how disparate some of the opinions are towards Krakoa's governance (as was recently being discussed) and their view of what it means to be a young, New Mutant...I just wish their intent was more direct and pointed rather than leaning more into the absurd. What I liked about the OG NM was that Claremont put them in some very serious circumstances for teen-agers (granted, that was decades ago, and the youth of today seem more sensitive to the harsher realities so direct and pointed might be somewhat triggering...? I don't know.) Here, I feel the lighter tone undersells the import of the message being sent, the story being told.

Overall a pretty good XXM.

Obligatory Marauders-art-is-bad rant...the colourist is not doing the artist any favours...in fact, the non-descript, haphazardly-placed blobs and patches make it even worse.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Hope blew a hole in her head, so it'd be funny if Selene came back to life with a big, gaping hole everyone just has to politely ignore.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post

Well they appear to be bloody and laying on the ground. So that's a clear sign it's Creed. LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    There are quite a few good things here like their take on how disparate some of the opinions are towards Krakoa's governance (as was recently being discussed) and their view of what it means to be a young, New Mutant...I just wish their intent was more direct and pointed rather than leaning more into the absurd. What I liked about the OG NM was that Claremont put them in some very serious circumstances for teen-agers (granted, that was decades ago, and the youth of today seem more sensitive to the harsher realities so direct and pointed might be somewhat triggering...? I don't know.) Here, I feel the lighter tone undersells the import of the message being sent, the story being told.

Overall a pretty good XXM.

Obligatory Marauders-art-is-bad rant...the colourist is not doing the artist any favours...in fact, the non-descript, haphazardly-placed blobs and patches make it even worse.
    In my experience young people today are fine with stories covering harsh realities they just want them written authentically and with care.

Chris Hassan
    https://twitter.com/ChrisAHassan/sta...35928235180036

Tomorrow at @AIPTcomics
    X-Men Monday #197 - @GerryDuggan Talks '#XMen', 'Invincible #IronMan', and '#UncannyAvengers'

Also... maybe a special guest? 🤔

Guess we'll find out tomorrow! 😄

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    In my experience young people today are fine with stories covering harsh realities they just want them written authentically and with care.
    Yeah as a bookseller for kids, I can totally confirm they love the nitty gritty. The darker the better.
    I'm fine with a bit of positivity being thrown their way to be honest.