Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars News

Niffleheim

Gina Carano Sues Disney Over ‘Mandalorian’ Firing In Lawsuit Funded by Elon Musk

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...ipient_hashed=
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Astonishing Member

She will lose.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Gina Carano Sues Disney Over ‘Mandalorian’ Firing In Lawsuit Funded by Elon Musk

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...ipient_hashed=
    If it was anyone's but Musk's money she was wasting I might feel a little bad but it'll be good for Musk to lose more money on this frivolous suit.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    She will lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    If it was anyone's but Musk's money she was wasting I might feel a little bad but it'll be good for Musk to lose more money on this frivolous suit.
    Definitely. I think it's all distraction but U.S. courts these days give me pause.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Elon Musk thinks employees should have an absolute right to free speech? LOL

As for Gina, it isn't going to go anywhere unless she can produce a contract of employment that Disney violated. I'm guessing she isn't able to do that.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I just hate how the whole thing has affected such a great character as Cara Dune, and I am sick of characters being punished for the crimes of the actor, legitimate or not. The fact Lucy Lawless got canned from The Acolyte JUST because fans suggested she’d be a good replacement to Gina is ridiculous.

I don’t have a stake in Gina being back or not but I just want Disney and Lucasfilm to stop punishing Cara Dune for it. Have her in other media if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I just hate how the whole thing has affected such a great character as Cara Dune, and I am sick of characters being punished for the crimes of the actor, legitimate or not. The fact Lucy Lawless got canned from The Acolyte JUST because fans suggested she’d be a good replacement to Gina is ridiculous.

I don’t have a stake in Gina being back or not but I just want Disney and Lucasfilm to stop punishing Cara Dune for it. Have her in other media if nothing else.
    She was never actually hired so she wasn't " canned"and it was just her feeling that the fan outcry for her to play Cara Dune was why they didn't end up casting her when the reality could be any number of things that we'll likely never know.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post

I had no idea about Lucy being potentially casted. Personally I didn't see much appeal to Cara's Character. On paper she had an interesting story but the execution was kind of bland. Lucy would definitely fixed that part of that in my book. She's an actress that definitely has that spark in my books.

I liked Cara Dune, but I didn't miss her. She was far from essential to the show and I'm glad they had an excuse to not have to shoe-horn her in, like they did with the corpse of IG-11.

I'm not going to waste time reading it, and the headline is just a headline, but was she "fired?" or just "not re-hired?" I'm sure her contract had an option for her return, but I can't imagine it was in any way guaranteed. Also, who thinks suing your boss then forcing them to rehire you would ever work out? That'd be a wonderful work environment, hm?

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I liked Cara Dune, but I didn't miss her. She was far from essential to the show and I'm glad they had an excuse to not have to shoe-horn her in, like they did with the corpse of IG-11.

I'm not going to waste time reading it, and the headline is just a headline, but was she "fired?" or just "not re-hired?" I'm sure her contract had an option for her return, but I can't imagine it was in any way guaranteed. Also, who thinks suing your boss then forcing them to rehire you would ever work out? That'd be a wonderful work environment, hm?
    That is a fair point. The guy who was apparently her greatest defender has now sadly passed away and Pedro ain’t on set no more so outside maybe Jon and Dave I don’t know who would be happy to see her around if she ‘won’ that way…

I feel like I have to say this to get out of the way I think Trump was the biggest embarrassment to be in the White House and that saying something and the man should be in jail for January 6th. I also think some of the stuff Gina has said online is plain stupid, but not bigoted. So, I don't politically align with her, but I think she has a case.

1st I want to address the show in the Mandalorian thread when Season 3 aired I said I felt it felt disjointed and I believed that was because they were going to use season 3 to set up Rangers of the New Republic the show Carano was going to star in. Also, since her firing no cast or crew have come out against her actually the opposite saying she was a sweetheart this included Carl Weathers and Pedro Pascal. So, if rehired I don't see much aggro on set.

Lucasfilm could have just quietly let her go not renew her contract and give the usual B.S. of going in a different direction. But instead, they choose to publicly call her a bigot in their press release on firing her. Not only is that dangerous for workers free speech it's libel. I should point out around this time Pedro Pascal compared Trump Supporters to Confederates and Nazis on social media while I find nothing wrong with that, but it does say Lucasfilm is fine with an employee making politically based speech online as long as they agree with it. If not, they will fire you and slander you for something you said off the clock on your own time and this was someone they were building a show around imagine if you were just a crew member.

I know a lot of people probably don't care because of her politically leanings but free speech works both ways and when we start allowing companies to police employee speech outside of work than don't be shocked when companies with conservative CEO's start doing it. You work at a Chick-Fil-A and post a supportive LGBTQ+ comment on social media on your day off probably a Sunday well guess what it goes against their "Christian" values and your gone. You have a Democratic Canidates Bumper sticker on your car, gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I feel like I have to say this to get out of the way I think Trump was the biggest embarrassment to be in the White House and that saying something and the man should be in jail for January 6th. I also think some of the stuff Gina has said online is plain stupid, but not bigoted. So, I don't politically align with her, but I think she has a case.

1st I want to address the show in the Mandalorian thread when Season 3 aired I said I felt it felt disjointed and I believed that was because they were going to use season 3 to set up Rangers of the New Republic the show Carano was going to star in. Also, since her firing no cast or crew have come out against her actually the opposite saying she was a sweetheart this included Carl Weathers and Pedro Pascal. So, if rehired I don't see much aggro on set.

Lucasfilm could have just quietly let her go not renew her contract and give the usual B.S. of going in a different direction. But instead, they choose to publicly call her a bigot in their press release on firing her. Not only is that dangerous for workers free speech it's libel. I should point out around this time Pedro Pascal compared Trump Supporters to Confederates and Nazis on social media while I find nothing wrong with that, but it does say Lucasfilm is fine with an employee making politically based speech online as long as they agree with it. If not, they will fire you and slander you for something you said off the clock on your own time and this was someone they were building a show around imagine if you were just a crew member.

I know a lot of people probably don't care because of her politically leanings but free speech works both ways and when we start allowing companies to police employee speech outside of work than don't be shocked when companies with conservative CEO's start doing it. You work at a Chick-Fil-A and post a supportive LGBTQ+ comment on social media on your day off probably a Sunday well guess what it goes against their "Christian" values and your gone. You have a Democratic Canidates Bumper sticker on your car, gone.
    Free speech just means you're free from being jailed by the government, it doesn't mean free from all consequences. If you say something that your employer feels is damaging to their brand online and you work in a state that is "at will" employment then they can fire you as political leanings do not fall under a protected class. It's nothing new and not very controversial and historically it was the companies with "christian" values that did these kinds of actions in the past and it's only now that those kinds of views are becoming more of the minority opinion that those people are feeling it turn their way and crying discrimination.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Free speech just means you're free from being jailed by the government, it doesn't mean free from all consequences. If you say something that your employer feels is damaging to their brand online and you work in a state that is "at will" employment then they can fire you as political leanings do not fall under a protected class. It's nothing new and not very controversial and historically it was the companies with "christian" values that did these kinds of actions in the past and it's only now that those kinds of views are becoming more of the minority opinion that those people are feeling it turn their way and crying discrimination.
    Exactly. The minute your private employer has to have their PR people, and HR fielding calls and inquiries about an employee having offensive social media comments you are in trouble. And the go to is always but 1st amendment! That only refers to her right to say what she said. The private employer doesn't have to spend their resources defending you. Same reason companies dropped Kanye etc. Especially when you are such a bit player. If a whole movie series or whatever was tied to you they may do the PR apology letter, mea culpa lets get back to work thing to save a billion dollar franchise. But she was easily disposable and not worth the drama.

Sure say whatever offensive things you want to say. You don't go to jail for it. But, companies don't have to take hits on their bottom line because they are tied to you. And I would expect companies as big as Disney to have clear clauses for this anyway in contracts.

Musk is footing the bill because it directly ties into X's loss of advertisers because companies are not wanting to be tied to the racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic floodgates that were opened on the platform. He keeps screaming 1st amendment and companies should still pay to advertise no matter what which is just absurd.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 02-08-2024 at 07:57 AM.

Empire magazine teasing some possible SW project with the Long ago in a galaxy far, far away font and the Obi-Wan catchphrase "Hello there":

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/s...22563923857769

Kenobi season 2 seems the most obvious thing, but it could be something else, maybe a full movie like they seem to be doing with Mandalorian and Thrawn, or a first look at the Rey film that's supposed to start production fairly soon.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The actual announcement are articles/covers for the 25th anniversary of the prequel trilogy.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...vers-revealed/
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth