Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars News

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I think Filoni was gonna be as good as it gets either way.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Filoni kind of defended Luke's sequel trilogy arc as he seems him like Frodo in LOTR (At least Peter Jackson's version), that he kind of got a bittersweet ending. Yes, the ring was destroyed and Middle Earth was heading for better days in general, but Frodo was still a very damaged person(as were the other three Hobbits to a lesser extent) by the end.

“I think Luke understands that it’s not about what he wants. It’s not about what he gains. It’s frankly about what everybody else gained. Sometimes, you have to be the one that carries that burden and becomes that vessel. These aren’t characters that go and get married. They don’t get over the scar. Frodo [from The Lord of the Rings] carries the ring to Mount Doom and for the rest of his life is plagued with fear. On certain days, he remembers those pains. Because he has to carry that burden. And Frodo has no peace until he leaves that world. Luke is that character.”
    I wonder if that's what Filoni really thinks or if he's just trying to put a positive spin on the sequels?

Either way I don't think it's a 'wrong' position to have and I think it can work, as long as we get some good stuff to balance out the tragedy. I'm pretty happy with the two Luke appearances we've had in the Mando era so far and they make me believe that Filoni can do right by the original characters. I worry more about whether Filoni will use them at all, rather than if he'll use them well. I'm all in on the franchise moving beyond the Skywalkers but that doesn't mean I want to see the original characters totally discarded. Give me new faces and new stories and new corners of the galaxy, but I'd still like an original trilogy cartoon or something too!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think his comments were made during TLJ's production actually, so maybe 'defense' is the wrong word (Justification maybe?) although certainly Mark Hammil was kind of somewhat vocal about not liking Luke's direction in TLJ.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

I’d first heard Filoni’s comments in the context (delivered by someone else) of why Luke shouldn’t get married and have a kid, unlike in the old Legends EU - and I think Filoni’s comment fits that particular argument more than a general defense of TLJ, since I don’t think there’s much “Frodo” going on in that movie, and it would be a bad defense for TLJ anyhow (…largely because I think TLJ’s flaws are hard to defend, period, but still.)

I also, honestly, think that Filoni is expressing more an ethos from LFL’s Lucas fans that Luke should be single because Lucas himself expressed some discontent with the idea for a time, and it’s sort of the “last sacred cow” they believe they should preserve when they allowed most of his other ideas to fall apart in the sale to Disney - and a “sacred cow” I think they should have abandoned, since Lucas had earlier allowed that scenario to happen for logical business reasons, and I doubt they understood his real issues if they though that killing the Skywalkers off with Kylo Ren was a good idea.

Having said all that, Filoni’s promotion just feels like further authority granted to him when he’d already sort of taken these responsibilities earlier; I think he’s the best “known” pick for the job, given that Kennedy is still an excellent administrator and not the Kevin Feige type. Ikm just also not quite as confident in Filoni as I once was since as good as Ahsoka was, it definitely felt like he should have had a larger writing team, and I’m mildly worried he might have bought too much stock in Favreau’s idea of reducing things down to the “bear essentials” when, to be frank, exposition-heavy lore work and complex multi-character arcs were more Filoni’s forte and a Star Wars strength.

I still think his cartoons seem weirdly more ambitious than the latest live action stuff - though I think Mando Season 3 might have just run into Favreau and Filoni realizing the sheer scale of a competent “Rise of the Mandalore” plotline and just decided they didn’t want to do it when they had to prep for Filoni’s film.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mara Jade was killed/written off in the old EU too, although it was kind of a "raising the stakes" situation to probably help sell the book rather than return Luke to the some status qou, and Luke remained a dutiful "cool"single dad for the rest of the original EU.

Which led to some cringeworthy writing like this though (From Fate of the Jedi Omen):

"But right now, they were simply two bachelors eating dinner and talking, and formality had gone out the air lock, and Luke didn't mind one bit"
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Mara Jade was killed/written off in the old EU too, although it was kind of a "raising the stakes" situation to probably help sell the book rather than return Luke to the some status qou, and Luke remained a dutiful "cool"single dad for the rest of the original EU.

Which led to some cringeworthy writing like this though (From Fate of the Jedi Omen):

"But right now, they were simply two bachelors eating dinner and talking, and formality had gone out the air lock, and Luke didn't mind one bit"
    Yeah, fundamentally, as much as I think they wound up mishandling Mara’s death in the Legends continuity, at no point was it ever about “fixing a mistake” - and in fact, the continuation of the family story still led to several more books and comics.

Filoni may not have liked the Legends idea of Luke having a family, but Filoni is also not the type to kill off his casts with casual indifference - if anything, he gets crap for refusing to kill off many of his creations.

But having successful characters carry on or pass the torch successfully is how you keep a Saga running on and on. LFL killed off the Skywalkers, and thanks to TLJ, in such a way that much of the interest in the family between ROTJ and TFA is also killed off; no one seems interested in watching Han and Leia be either good parents to a thankless and bland brat, or write Han and Leia as a bad parents to a doomed angsty forever-teenager, and getting Luke’s story interesting sort of requires ignoring the intent and attraction of TLJ’s “He’s a failure going through a midlife crisis!” for its fans.

Ahsoka has already sort of surpassed Rey as officially endorsed successor to Luke and Anakin, even in live action. That’s the right tyoe fo creative instinct, rather than “Tragedy is the key!” approach that LFL recklessly endorsed.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

As long as Tony Gilroy gets more projects
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Not technically news, but just something really cool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0XJZwiPejf/
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Not technically news, but just something really cool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0XJZwiPejf/
    That's awesome, I'd ride that for sure!
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Apparently, the latest rumor going around the internet is that LFL if thinking about making a Mandalorian movie instead of a Season 4 - in part to lock down Pedro Pascal.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Apparently, the latest rumor going around the internet is that LFL if thinking about making a Mandalorian movie instead of a Season 4 - in part to lock down Pedro Pascal.
    It makes sense, I mean I've loved all the seasons so far but there is a fair amount of filler so a tighter story would be welcome.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It makes sense, I mean I've loved all the seasons so far but there is a fair amount of filler so a tighter story would be welcome.
    Heh, supposedly a new "leak"/report has "clarified" it'll still be a TV show.

In general, though, I think I just want stories focusing on Din as a character, instead of as an action figure, and not to ignore inconvenient but intriguing lore (like the more villainous sides of the Mandalorians.)

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Heh, supposedly a new "leak"/report has "clarified" it'll still be a TV show.

In general, though, I think I just want stories focusing on Din as a character, instead of as an action figure, and not to ignore inconvenient but intriguing lore (like the more villainous sides of the Mandalorians.)
    Or to get his show hijacked by other characters .

Niffleheim

EXCLUSIVE: Dave Filoni teases that Thrawn’s future in StarWars.

"His foil throughout Rebels was Hera," he tells Empire. "Pitting the two generals against one another is something that I find interesting."

https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news...era-exclusive/

In your opinion was the crux of the conflict in Rebels between Thrawn and Hera?
    Last edited by Tofali; 12-19-2023 at 12:56 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    EXCLUSIVE: Dave Filoni teases that Thrawn’s future in StarWars.

"His foil throughout Rebels was Hera," he tells Empire. "Pitting the two generals against one another is something that I find interesting."

https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news...era-exclusive/

In your opinion was the crux of the conflict in Rebels between Thrawn and Hera?
    I don’t know if I’d give that exact interpretation to Rebels; I think the Jedi + Sabine carried their end of the Thrawn seasons more than Hera did.

But I could see Hera being pushed forward as Thrawn’s rival, especially given their parallels - high ranking alien officers who associate with Force users but are not themselves, with Hera having lost her de facto husband to Thrawn and having overseen Thrawn’s banishment from the Galaxy.