Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars News

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I don’t know if I’d give that exact interpretation to Rebels; I think the Jedi + Sabine carried their end of the Thrawn seasons more than Hera did.

But I could see Hera being pushed forward as Thrawn’s rival, especially given their parallels - high ranking alien officers who associate with Force users but are not themselves, with Hera having lost her de facto husband to Thrawn and having overseen Thrawn’s banishment from the Galaxy.
    Honestly outside Ezra Hera was probably the Rebel Thrawn dealt with the most either directly or indirectly through tactics.

I just hope they don't chump out Thrawn's tactics so Hera can get a win.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly outside Ezra Hera was probably the Rebel Thrawn dealt with the most either directly or indirectly through tactics.

I just hope they don't chump out Thrawn's tactics so Hera can get a win.
    The tactics and strategies of the D+ shows are my biggest worries going forward - Filoni *can* manage some nice, analytical, but generally basic strategic or tactical storytelling, and is a big lover of either Hollywood tactics or of dressing up basic, barebones competence in fine livery and calling it genius.

Like, Thrawn's deduction of the Lothal Rebel Cell's Base in Rebels Season 3 is great, but the battle tactics have been wanting, especially in the Ahsoka finale.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

There's more news about Andor being delayed.

It's important to remember though that Andor season one took nearly four years to get made as well, it was announced in 2018 but didn't debut until 2022.

Season 1 of course probably had to deal with Covid delaying things and season 2 with the strikes.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Star Wars' Director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy Says It's About Time a Woman Shaped a Star Wars Film

Interesting choice to direct a Star Wars Movie. An activist known for her work in documentaries that highlight gender inequality against women in the middle east. Not finding anything that indicates that she has any sort of experience in this type of film making. Why is Disney/Lucasfilm going to gamble on someone like this? I'll bet a mortgage payment she probably never watched Star Wars until she got the job.

I honestly thought this was a right wing parody when I first read the headline (Even the Panderverse looks less satirical at this point)
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 01-04-2024 at 03:06 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Star Wars' Director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy Says It's About Time a Woman Shaped a Star Wars Film

Interesting choice to direct a Star Wars Movie. An activist known for her work in documentaries that highlight gender inequality against women in the middle east. Not finding anything that indicates that she has any sort of experience in this type of film making. Why is Disney/Lucasfilm going to gamble on someone like this? I'll bet a mortgage payment she probably never watched Star Wars until she got the job.

I honestly thought this was a right wing parody when I first read the headline (Even the Panderverse looks less satirical at this point)
    If she has an interesting story to tell, why not let her? Plus, she's coming right off the Ms. Marvel series which was awesome.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 01-04-2024 at 03:28 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Just as long as she's got a better budget and villain ideas.

Makes me wonder why they'd compound mistakes they've already made by putting someone in charge that seems likely to make the same mistakes by thinking "the message" will override something not being a good Star Wars movie.

And, yes, I laughed when I saw "the Panderverse" even when I didn't entirely agree with it. The part about remaking the same movies over and over was definitely true though.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Makes me wonder why they'd compound mistakes they've already made by putting someone in charge that seems likely to make the same mistakes by thinking "the message" will override something not being a good Star Wars movie.

And, yes, I laughed when I saw "the Panderverse" even when I didn't entirely agree with it. The part about remaking the same movies over and over was definitely true though.
    Or again, they could have really enjoyed working with her on Ms.Marvel and thought she had an interesting story to tell.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I will admit I eye rolled at the "It's about time a woman shaped a Star Wars film" comment. Kathleen Kennedy has run Lucasfilm for 12 years now I mean seriously hasn't she shaped the franchise.

Bryce Dallas Howard and Deborah Chow have also directed several Disney+ episodes.

Yeah, and you have the Acolyte Series and Patty Jenkins film that almost happened.

I'm looking forward to this film, but that comment seemed stupid to me and only gave a certain fandom plenty of clickbait.

Not to mention Marcia Lucas's edits and Gloria Katz's script-doctoring on the original film. And although her general idea differed from the final version, Leigh Brackett's draft of ESB which had early versions of Hoth, Han/Leia Romance, Yoda and Lando, although no "I am your father".

Without them, the great momentum of the first 15 minutes of Star Wars would have probably been broken by all the scenes of Luke & Biggs which would've slowed everything down, and the humor would've been a lot more dry.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I will admit I eye rolled at the "It's about time a woman shaped a Star Wars film" comment. Kathleen Kennedy has run Lucasfilm for 12 years now I mean seriously hasn't she shaped the franchise.
    Eh… I think it’s overall a good point to say that women have had input in Star Wars since the beginning… but we haven’t had a female director or a show runner outside of Deborah Chow, and to be honest, the Disney era movies wound up being shaped very much by their male creators much more than Kennedy.

Kennedy is a fantastic business-level producer, but she’s not a creative force. Yes, the first two Disney era films were very clearly centered on female main characters, but Kennedy was hands off enough to allow the ST to get utterly hijacked by Kylo fans and Solo was a fun but very conventional “dude’s movie.”

I fell it’s pretty clear the ST could have used a more direct creation role for a female creator. And since Rey was supposed to be the first female main character for a trilogy and wound up having that role stole from her, and now is supposed to get her own sequel film… I”d say it’s actually “playing it safe” by having a woman make it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mighty Member

in a bizarre twist of the internet, youtube personality Critical Drinker argued that all of her comments in regard to "making men uncomfortable" were part of a press tour about a documentary she did about honor killings in Pakistan and shouldn't be taken out of context.

she was arguing that men (Pakistanis in particular) SHOULD, in fact, feel uncomfortable and ashamed about murdering women whose 'crime' was being a victim of sexual assault.

of course, Critical Drinker then turned around and said that although he can respect her work as an activist and a director, he's not sure that she's a good choice for directing a film in the Star Wars franchise.

I haven't watched Obaid-Chinoy's work on Ms. Marvel yet, but I did take the time to watch some trailers for the "3 Bahadur" animated films she worked on. since these were animated adventure shows aimed at larger audiences in Pakistan. she -might- be a good fit.

she's won two Oscars for documentary films and seems to have some basic experience with CGI-based adventure films that focus on kids. so, she's not the worst choice they could have made.

the press tour talking points about women FINALLY shaping the destiny of Star Wars was off-putting. however, this isn't new either. I'm pretty sure that all parties involved were TOLD to say that. it's not really any different from Felicity Jones saying the same sort of stuff during the promotional tours for "Rogue One".

Hollywood press writers seem to think that NOBODY remembers their film and pop culture history. (or THEY don't know, and don't bother doing their homework themselves before writing this stuff)

Niffleheim

Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season 3 Wins Outstanding Stunt Performance Emmy

https://comicbook.com/starwars/news/...t-performance/
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough