Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars News

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Jon Favreau Says Din Djarin Was Never Supposed To Be Aragorn Of The Mandalorian

https://fandomwire.com/its-heavy-for...ting-season-3/
    Still smells like Favreau or someone else sat down to review what Season 3 *could* be, realized that the Darksaber story demanded a more culturally critical and characterization heavy story where Din would have to exit with a defined identity because of how Filoni had constructed the Darksaber story back in Rebels…

…and just deciding to ignore that story and argue some counterfactuals instead.

I mean, the first time we heard about the Darksaber being heavy was when Sabine trained with it and learned it would become lighter the more she mastered it. And there’s no way that they planned out Din getting it just to eventually pass it on to Bo Katan in a technicality, and there’s likely no way they had him struggle with its weight initially while planning that would mean he couldn’t keep it.

I still think that somewhere in Season 3’s development, someone had a negative reaction to the ideas of giving Din an epic story rather than an episodic one and to examining the Mandalorians in a less than flattering light, and the Season just sort of struggled once that avenue was cut off.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    …and just deciding to ignore that story and argue some counterfactuals instead.
    Yeah, sounds like damage control to me.

I do think it's possible that this was the original plan and Din was always supposed to remain in his original, bounty hunting factory settings. Maybe Fav thought we'd see the super obvious and over-used 'peasant to king' troupe and not want it. Maybe he thought we'd be tired of such arcs and be pleasantly surprised when Din escapes that fate and sticks to the status quo that made him popular in the first place. I mean, the Aragorn thing IS wildly over done. Maybe Fav didn't realize how popular the idea of Mandalore Din would be with the fans, gods know we bitch often enough when things change that Fav could be forgiven for expecting us to not want this change too.

And maybe we think about this stuff more than he does. Maybe Fav really doesn't think too deep about the story and stays in 'spaghetti western' mode and makes half of it up as he goes along. I don't know the man or how he thinks, who can say. But it really does sound more like damage control than anything, to me.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-01-2023 at 10:45 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I do feel like making season 3 so much about Bo's arc took away a little from Din.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, sounds like damage control to me.

I do think it's possible that this was the original plan and Din was always supposed to remain in his original, bounty hunting factory settings. Maybe Fav thought we'd see the super obvious and over-used 'peasant to king' troupe and not want it. Maybe he thought we'd be tired of such arcs and be pleasantly surprised when Din escapes that fate and sticks to the status quo that made him popular in the first place. I mean, the Aragorn thing IS wildly over done. Maybe Fav didn't realize how popular the idea of Mandalore Din would be with the fans, gods know we bitch often enough when things change that Fav could be forgiven for expecting us to not want this change too.

And maybe we think about this stuff more than he does. Maybe Fav really doesn't think too deep about the story and stays in 'spaghetti western' mode and makes half of it up as he goes along. I don't know the man or how he thinks, who can say. But it really does sound more like damage control than anything, to me.
    The Aragorn thing might be wildly overdone… but it’s never stopped being popular. And in contrast, a lot of the “Ha! I subverted that thing you all predicted!” stuff has gone over like a lead balloon the last few years, both in Star Wars and elsewhere. Rey Random was a momentum killer, Arya Stark killing the Night King left a lot of people feeling cold even though they liked her, etc.

But I think it might be more plausible that Filoni was the dude who suggested adding in the Darksaber and a lot more hints at major lore, and then Favreau, lacking any major plan beyond rough “movie” ideas featuring a largely static character, simply didn’t follow those lore elements.

Favreau is a solid storyteller, but not one who has infinite great ideas for one story or character bursting forth.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Yeah maybe Filoni is the guy who was pushing for the darksaber/Mandalore stuff. No idea, but it'd be fascinating to find out how the season came to be and who made what decisions.

I still think the movie may have shuffled plans around too. Maybe Din was meant to become Mandalore here, but after the film was approved they decided to hold off on that until the movie. The cast will need their big hero moments after all, and Din picking up the blade he never wanted to avenge Bo after she dies and save his people? That's a big damn hero moment.

Who can say? All I know is season 3 was fun, but not nearly as good as season 2, and whatever reasons they had for swerving on the darksaber plot, it didn't land like they probably hoped it would.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Niffleheim

New coins to celebrate Return of the Jedi's 40th anniversary

Director of Collector Services at The Royal Mint Rebecca Morgan said: "We are delighted to launch an out-of-this-world collection to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

"We are excited to enthuse new and existing coin collectors across the world, as well as Star Wars' thriving fan base both in the United Kingdom, and internationally, with the launch of this collection."
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/crg3yyyzev5o
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Niffleheim

Why Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon Didn’t Become A Star Wars Movie: ‘I Knew It Was A Big Ask’

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...vie-exclusive/
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Niffleheim

James Mangold's Star Wars Won't Feature Two Important Words

Josh Horowitz Happy, Sad, Confused podcast host: asked if the words “Jedi” or “Midi-chlorians” would appear?
    Mangold: I don't wanna make any guarantees one way or another, but it will be before Jedi, meaning you might be experiencing something that might become Jedi, Mangold answered. Despite the fact that other people make movies other ways, I don't tend to think people brand themselves before they've actually found themselves. So you don't come up with a name for your organization.
    https://gamerant.com/james-mangold-s...-not-included/

Astonishing Member

Obi Wan being nominated for an Emmy is baffling really. There is nothing about that show that says award winning. Even the special effects.

Andor being recognized makes sense though.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Obi Wan being nominated for an Emmy is baffling really. There is nothing about that show that says award winning. Even the special effects.

Yea I dont get it either. It was borderline enjoyable but nothing about it stood out.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Kind of funny that the picture ILM chose for the nomination announcement is Maarva's funeral hologram. While of course a very memorable moment, it wasn't exactly the most innovative special effect-holograms are probably very ease to do FX-wise; Star Wars has been doing it from the beginning.

The Alien planets on the other hand worked out great, while with Obi-Wan is was very obvious that they were on a virtual set most of the time (The Inquisitor fortress in particular).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post

I don't think the voting body watch every episode of a show, It was probably just one episode that was submitted (well I know that's how daytime Emmys work)

Niffleheim

Disney Spends $49 Million On pre-production of Star Wars The Acolyte

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolin...h=3abd7af13a02

Hopefully it's good, seems like it could have a lot of potential as a sort of origin story for the Skywalker saga Sith resurgence.

Not sure about Skeleton crew, seems to be Stranger Things meets One Piece or something from what's been revealed. (The Mandalorian pirate stuff is somehow involved as a sort of 'backdoor pilot').
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I'm looking forward to Acolyte.