Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars News

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Mandalorian Producer Confirms Din Djarin is No Longer the Only Main Character

https://www.ign.com/articles/mandalo...source=twitter
    I know a guy who literally called this about ten days ago!

On the other hand… if they’re talking about “what does that mean to be Mandalorian?”, then I wish they would get started actually doing that.

It’s mostly been fairly fun but startlingly brief and perfunctory adventures-of-the-week spotted with a thin, perfunctory subplot of “Bo gets the privilege of removing her helmet ‘cause she saw a beastie.”

We’ve explored nothing new about the Mandos since The Mines of Mandalore, nor have we brought in any of the background details and other factions from the cartoons. Din is still someone who would fail a “Mandalorian Factions and Recent History” pop quiz - as would most of the live-action-only audience - and no one’s so much as mentioned the name “Satine” around Bo Katan, nor has the fact she’s even got a sister been mentioned… when that sister was the leader of the largest and most prosperous Mandalorian faction we’ve seen in Star Wars.

Din and the show’s less geeky watchers have yet to hear or learn anything substantial about the New Mandalorians, the Protectors, or the House and Clan system, while the Death Watch remains a faction seen all of once without any further clarification for those not in the know, and we don't know what the actual creed of the Children of the Watch is beyond “wear a helmet, carry weapons, look out for our kids.”

And literally most of that could have been expositonal small talk used to flesh out some of these bare-bones scripts and scenes.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Niffleheim

Maybe Favreau thinks mentioning Satine will reflect badly on Bo-Katan as a character while he is trying to shift the narrative to her instead of Din.
    Last edited by Tofali; 04-07-2023 at 04:58 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

Maybe Favreau thinks mentioning Satine will reflect badly on Bo-Katan as a character while he is trying to shift the narrative to her instead of Din.
    I could see that… but it would still be an annoyingly shallow and disappointingly favoritism-based choice, since it’s not like good writing couldn’t give Bo a scene tearfully confessing what she did and then saying something like “Ever since, I’ve been trying to make things right” or something.

…And sadly, I suspect that if “that would reflect badly on Bo Katan “ is a reaction he has, than that would also apply to stuff like the entirety of Mandalroian warrior factions’ history and amorality, where the Mandos can’t actually be explored too much because at least two factions are inherently morally and politically superior to Death Watch and it’s descendants because the Death Watch-derived groups are war-mongering nationalists or fundamentalists.

Which is extra aggravating, because having Din confront that would be an awesome conflict for Star Wars, and without that kind of stuff, we’re sort of left with a live action series that depends on some light, quiet endorsement of warmongering fundamentalists.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I forsee a lot of backlash with Star Wars to be honest but "the future or force is female" meme that was peddled by the toxic "fringe" of the fanbase is now literally true, every single project except one or two are female led - I can't wait to see if the toxic fanbase will engage or they are tired and are no longer interested in anything Star Wars is serving. I hope I'm wrong.
    Star Wars is well into the "Apathy Phase". I can imagine some fans saying "Somehow, Rey Palpatine has returned" After that everyone going back to doing what they were doing before hearing the news.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

The Rey movie is said to be set roughly 15 years after Rise of Skywalker. If I'm doing my math right, that would make a certain tiny green someone about 90. And if we take Yoda's line about training Jedi for nearly 800 years (dying at about 900) at face value, then 90 would be pretty much prime time for his species.

Rey and Grogu team-up?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Somehow, Rey Palpatine returned.
    I have a bad feeling about this.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Star Wars is well into the "Apathy Phase". I can imagine some fans saying "Somehow, Rey Palpatine has returned" After that everyone going back to doing what they were doing before hearing the news.
    How is it the apathy phase if the shows have been received pretty well and as soon as they end people start clamoring for the next show?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Kind of a bit worried that Mangold might get let go if "Indiana Jones" doesn't deliver.

It's often been rumored that Tremorrow was let go/his version of Episode 9 cancelled because "Book of Henry" was negatively received.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of a bit worried that Mangold might get let go if "Indiana Jones" doesn't deliver.

It's often been rumored that Tremorrow was let go/his version of Episode 9 cancelled because "Book of Henry" was negatively received.
    I get the impression he knows that, apparently he talked about Swamp Thing as if it’s a back up in case this falls and vice versa. Since Disney plays it safe typically with Star Wars I think his project is the most at risk of getting canned. Indy 5 has had decidedly mixed reception so far, though it’s looking likely that a lot of their original plans for replacing Indy have been shelved.

Mighty Member

Annnd it's official. Lars Mikkelson will be playing Thrawn in Ahsoka.

Surprising no one except the 8 people who believed his denials (as recently as like 10 days ago). NDAs must suck for actors.

Niffleheim

"Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

That's a pretty awesome poster. Pays tribute to the original poster with the Vader over everything (Which also inspired the TLJ poster) and also way better than Struzan's kind of awkward SE poster, which featured Chewbacca, Yoda, and Jabba prominently. It kind of works if you combine it with the ANH and ESB SE posters which featured Luke/Han/Leia and then Vader and the Emperor, but as a standalone poster it was pretty bad.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

We're also getting a season 2 of Tales of the Jedi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Annnd it's official. Lars Mikkelson will be playing Thrawn in Ahsoka.

Surprising no one except the 8 people who believed his denials (as recently as like 10 days ago). NDAs must suck for actors.
    I can't wait !
    Awesome poster.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I have a bad feeling about this.

Not even John Campea is sold on the Rey Palpatine movie and he likes everything. He also does the requisite "somehow Palpatine has returned" joke at 0:57 that everyone is required by internet law to make now.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CfE-YQXrQ0w
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest