View Poll Results: Wwould you rather reread?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Byrne/Mackie run, including the Chapter One maxi series

21 28.38%
  • Slott’s Volume 3 and 4 on ASM

40 54.05%
  • Wells’ current run

13 17.57%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    You can say it’s a fraction of his run.

I say those two arcs pretty much define JMS’ run.
    I say that's an objectively wrong statement. The JRJR era and the Civil War/Back In Black era are what most define JMS' run.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 04-20-2023 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I say that's an objectively wrong statement. The JRJR era and the Civil War/Back In Black era are what most define JMS' run.
    Then why can no one let go of OMD? It is JMS’ defining moment on Spidey, even co-written with Joe Quesada.

Astonishing Member

Then why can no one let go of OMD? It is JMS’ defining moment on Spidey, even co-written with Joe Quesada.
    Entirely Quesada's baby. Mostly written by Quesada. Something JMS disagreed with vehemently and only minorly contributed to "out of a favor to a friend." And even then, he still wanted his name off the book from before it was even published.

You're relying on an old anti-JMS talking point that has (1) been debunked several times and (2) will never take off or be seen as credible.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 04-20-2023 at 06:32 PM.

Entirely Quesada's baby. Mostly written by Quesada. Something JMS disagreed with vehemently and only minorly contributed to "out of a favor to a friend." And even then, he still wanted his name off the book from before it was even published.

You're relying on an old anti-JMS talking point that has (1) been debunked several times and (2) will never take off or be seen as credible.
    You want to blame just Joey Q., okay, that’s your opinion, that’s what you think.

The credits say otherwise.

OMD will always be regarded as JMS’ work.

Astonishing Member

You want to blame just Joey Q., okay, that’s your opinion, that’s what you think.

OMD will always be regarded as Quesada's baby. It's also what 99.9% of people who know about OMD think. That is reality.

Sorry if it doesn't float your boat.

I disagree. Credits said JMS but most people in the comic book world puts the blame on Joe Quesada.

OMD will always be regarded as Quesada's baby. It's also what 99.9% of people who know about OMD think. That is reality.

Sorry if it doesn't float your boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    I disagree. Credits said JMS but most people in the comic book world puts the blame on Joe Quesada.
    JMS name is on it, as is Joe Q’s. It’s the capstone of JMS’ Spider-Man run.

You all just want to blame Joe Q, go ahead. It’s not what the credits say.

Gerry Conway claims Roy Thomas chose to kill Gwen over MJ. John Romita Sr. says it was his choice to kill off Gwen in the choice between MJ and Gwen getting killed. But no matter how you slice it, Conway gets the credit. It’s his name as writer on ASM #121.

Yes, OMD was what Joe Q wanted for MJ and Peter, and while he gets a writing credit, it’s J. Michael Straczynski‘s name on the credit, too, as well as the 75 or so issues leading up to OMD. JMS can’t escape credit for OMD, whether it was with Joe Q or not.

Gerry Conway claims Roy Thomas chose to kill Gwen over MJ. John Romita Sr. says it was his choice to kill off Gwen in the choice between MJ and Gwen getting killed. But no matter how you slice it, Conway gets the credit. It’s his name as writer on ASM #121.

Yes, OMD was what Joe Q wanted for MJ and Peter, and while he gets a writing credit, it’s J. Michael Straczynski‘s name on the credit, too, as well as the 75 or so issues leading up to OMD. JMS can’t escape credit for OMD, whether it was with Joe Q or not.
    I think you are underating the power of perception.

Astonishing Member

We already explained why the point you are making is irrelevant. I'm not going to repeat myself. If you didn't bother to listen so far, then you're not going to listen the second time we explain it either.

We already explained why the point you are making is irrelevant. I'm not going to repeat myself. If you didn't bother to listen so far, then you're not going to listen the second time we explain it either.
    No, I just disagree with you. As do the credits on that comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    Only people that are looking for an excuse not to blame JMS, but if you look at it, whenever he's told he can't do anything, his work suffers greatly. I don't know if it's because of spite or because he can't adapt quickly, but he's got a history of doing it.

Even horrible ideas can be saved by good writers, but JMS doesn't seem to be handle to work like that.

Ultimate Member

I loathed JMS run to be honest.All that Spider totem stuff is just dull.

Sins Past wasn't just a bad story, it was problematic in many different ways and should have seen the light of day. It being retconned was the right thing to do.

As for the poll, I liked Slott's Spider-man run over the others listed. Overall, his Spider-man work is entertaining although it drifted a bit too far from what I like to see in a Spider-man story.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I loathed JMS run to be honest.All that Spider totem stuff is just dull.

Sins Past wasn't just a bad story, it was problematic in many different ways and should have seen the light of day. It being retconned was the right thing to do.

As for the poll, I liked Slott's Spider-man run over the others listed. Overall, his Spider-man work is entertaining although it drifted a bit too far from what I like to see in a Spider-man story.
    Sins Past and likely Wells’ run suffer from the same thing. They go in for shocking the reader instead of telling a good story.