View Poll Results: Wwould you rather reread?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Byrne/Mackie run, including the Chapter One maxi series

21 28.38%
  • Slott’s Volume 3 and 4 on ASM

40 54.05%
  • Wells’ current run

13 17.57%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Lol at least cite me
    Sorry about that; I wanted to vote immediately, and rushed my little post.

The Byrne/Mackie relaunch was so distasteful to me that I quit reading comics for like five years. It was bad enough that a solid era of stories was abruptly stopped, leaving all kinds of dangling plotlines, but it was even worse when we instead got the awful(ly long) Senator Ward story, the insulting Green Goblin "answer," the Sandman regression, and Captain Power.

(To be fair, my favorite portrayal of Mysterio is from that era.)

On the other hand, I enjoy Dan Slott's work. I think his comics are fun and the few big misses seem to have been affected by editorial. I enjoy serious soap opera comics, but cartoony comics like much of Slott's work are cool too.

I haven't read all of the current Wells run, but the plot holes in Dark Web were a mile wide and blatantly ignored, so while I didn't hate some of the story ideas in theory, in practice this run just feels like either 1) a mess that future writers might need to clean up, or 2) a run that, if Wells "puts all the toys back in their spots," will largely be forgotten quickly.

Slott wins for me and it's not even close.

-Pav, who DOES think Slott's run peaked with Superior...
    Last edited by Pav; 03-22-2023 at 06:40 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

The Chapter One stuff was probabaly the least interesting Spider-man has ever been.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    The Byrne/Mackie relaunch was so distasteful to me that I quit reading comics for like five years. It was bad enough that a solid era of stories was abruptly stopped, leaving all kinds of dangling plotlines, but it was even worse when we instead got the awful(ly long) Senator Ward story, the insulting Green Goblin "answer," the Sandman regression, and Captain Power.

(To be fair, my favorite portrayal of Mysterio is from that era.)

On the other hand, I enjoy Dan Slott's work. I think his comics are fun and the few big misses seem to have been affected by editorial. I enjoy serious soap opera comics, but cartoony comics like much of Slott's work are cool too.

Slott wins for me and it's not even close.

-Pav, who DOES think Slott's run peaked with Superior...
    As a hardcore Ben Reilly fan, I’m surprised to hear you have such a positive assessment of Slott considering how he brought back Ben in CC.

I remember Mackie in the late 90s was probably the most hated SM writer ever. It's no comparison to the people that have written this book since 2008. Were going on 15 years of death by 1000 cuts.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-23-2023 at 06:00 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    I remember Mackie in the late 90s was probably the most hated SM writer ever. It's no comparison to the people that have written this book since 2008. Were going on 15 years of death by 1000 cuts.
    I always blamed Byrne more than Mackie. The post-clone saga storylines with a possibly kidnapped Baby May were going somewhere and then Byrne came in with his gigantic ego and demanded everything change to fit his particular vision. I feel like Mackie was just burnt out and coasting along for the ride on autopilot. His stuff even got a bit better once Byrne was gone and Paul Jenkins took over the other book.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-23-2023 at 06:00 AM.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I always blamed Byrne more than Mackie. The post-clone saga storylines with a possibly kidnapped Baby May were going somewhere and then Byrne came in with his gigantic ego and demanded everything change to fit his particular vision. I feel like Mackie was just burnt out and coasting along for the ride on autopilot. His stuff even got a bit better once Byrne was gone and Paul Jenkins took over the other book.
    This is exactly why I skip Gathering of Five/The Final Chapter and go straight to Spider-Girl, makes for a better reading experience, IMHO.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Haven't read any, but I'd try Byrne/Mackie. I don't like Slott's writing style and I hate the premise of Well's current stuff.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Slott by a mile.

I remember Byrne/Mackie just being absolutely horrible. And Wells is the run that's seriously making me want to drop ASM altogether.

Slott had some slow moments and a few bad issues. And I absolutely hated how they handled PI closing. But all in all, his run was fine.

Just a reminder before this goes any further:

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

TREAT COMIC BOOK PROFESSIONALS WITH RESPECT

The CBR Community is a safe space for creators or other industry professionals to stop by the site and interact with readers and fans. Whether they’re here in person or just a name on a page of a comic or article you’ve read, they’re all to be treated with respect. Having read or purchased a product someone has worked on does not mean you’re permitted to talk about them however you like. Insults, personal attacks and threats will not be tolerated. There are times when users lose sight of the line between the person and the work; criticism of the work is welcome, insults to the creator of the work are not. The same rules of civility apply and insulting behavior will not be tolerated.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Fantastic Member

I don't see myself going back to the 2023 run any time soon. The arcs haven't been fun. It doesn't seem like there's been much foreshadowing that would make me go "A ha! I get it now!" on a re-read. Even the big beats don't seem compelling.

On a similar note, there's nothing fun or nostalgic about re-reading Mary Jane's fake death under B/M. I never consider thinking about picking up those.
    There were a lot of forgettable or incomprehensible writing choices in ASM vol 3-4, and I generally don't look for those back issues, but those are probably the least buried in the memory hole, so I guess it wins.

As a hardcore Ben Reilly fan, I’m surprised to hear you have such a positive assessment of Slott considering how he brought back Ben in CC.
    His Big Time + Superior run is a modern classic in my opinion. I've also really enjoyed other books by him, including his GLA stuff, his She-Hulk run, and his Avengers: the Initiative series. I think he writes really fun comics. Even Ben coming back as the Jackal was interesting in theory and could've been fun if the execution was better.

I think Slott gets a bad rap, especially because of how he handled the Black Cat, but I MAINTAIN that he wanted Superior to last longer, and that Black Cat as Queenpin makes SO MUCH sense if it's Otto she's antagonizing rather than Peter -- so I'm willing to let that go.

-Pav, who thinks PAD's Ben Reilly was probably worse...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

His Big Time + Superior run is a modern classic in my opinion. I've also really enjoyed other books by him, including his GLA stuff, his She-Hulk run, and his Avengers: the Initiative series. I think he writes really fun comics. Even Ben coming back as the Jackal was interesting in theory and could've been fun if the execution was better.

I think Slott gets a bad rap, especially because of how he handled the Black Cat, but I MAINTAIN that he wanted Superior to last longer, and that Black Cat as Queenpin makes SO MUCH sense if it's Otto she's antagonizing rather than Peter -- so I'm willing to let that go.

I still maintain that while I heavily dislike Jackal!Ben, at least he still thought he was genuinely helping people, as misguided as he may have been...at least until the end of CC where he decided "Fuck it, time for Maximum Clonage 2.22: Spider-Boogaloo"

-Luke, who thinks Chasm!Ben might be worse than Jackal!Ben...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    I still maintain that while I heavily dislike Jackal!Ben, at least he still thought he was genuinely helping people, as misguided as he may have been...at least until the end of CC where he decided "Fuck it, time for Maximum Clonage 2.22: Spider-Boogaloo"

-Luke, who thinks Chasm!Ben might be worse than Jackal!Ben...
    The premise was good at least, unlike Chasm

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    The premise was good at least, unlike Chasm

Best Jackal outfit by a mile as well. Ben always has drip, even as a villain.