View Poll Results: Is Comic Book Movie Fatigue Happening?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I think Audiences Are Finally Getting Tired Of These Movies

55 44.72%
  • No - This has been wildly exaggerated

46 37.40%
  • Too Early To Say Either Way

22 17.89%
Page 69 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970717273 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1095

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Chris makes a lot of good points in this video.

A lot of people simply aren't going back to theatres post-pandemic and streaming is really, really having a significant impact on some kind of movies (Disney/Pixar has found this out the hard way). Like I said earlier, some of us spend a fair bit of money on streaming and can't be spending tons of movie on theatres again. That's something that the studios will have to figure out.

With streaming being what it is, certain kind of movies will probably never come to theatres. This will be a problem for theatre chains now that the companies have already started scaling back on their superhero fare (Ant-man and The Marvels might lose Disney money but theatres still benefit from attendance).

Another thing that I really agree with is that the industry is in a weird place now. With movies being shelved without even being released (Acme and Coyote would have been shelved if not for the outcry from folks within and outside the industry) and so much stuff being dumped to streaming, I'm legit curious as to what's going to happen in the near future. Barbie and Oppenheimer were massive hits because of the "virality" of the films (same with Mario to a lesser extent), outside of that, a lot of movies struggled this year (even well received ones like Blue Beetle and Mission Impossible).

I watched Jeremy Jahns review. He calls out the cheapness of the film and compared the costumes to Batman and Robin. A movie credited for killing the genre in the 90s. Fans pretend to scratch their heads why MCU is flopping and has lost quality. I credit this to how Disney superficially puts these films together.

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    Streaming certainly is part of it...but honestly, the last few times I went to a theater were such poor experiences I just gave it up. People talking throughout the film, on their phones, kids out of control...just not for me anymore.
    The implementation of assigned seating (at least at most of the theaters near me) is off-putting. It's complicating an activity that used to be pretty simple. You didn't used to have to plan going to the movies, at least most of the time.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The implementation of assigned seating (at least at most of the theaters near me) is off-putting. It's complicating an activity that used to be pretty simple. You didn't used to have to plan going to the movies, at least most of the time.
    Going to the theater (for the bigger films) does require a fair bit of planning especially if you're going with a family.

Gone are the days you can just walk up and get seated to see these movies.

Going to the theater (for the bigger films) does require a fair bit of planning especially if you're going with a family.

Gone are the days you can just walk up and get seated to see these movies.
    I forgot to mention they also serve alcohol at the theater now, which is unhelpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I forgot to mention they also serve alcohol at the theater now, which is unhelpful.
    The first time I encountered that was during a trip to LA - the ticket person was also the person preparing drinks, almost like they were encouraging people to purchase alcohol before going into the film. I was pretty shocked (still got a gin and tonic though...)
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    The first time I encountered that was during a trip to LA - the ticket person was also the person preparing drinks, almost like they were encouraging people to purchase alcohol before going into the film. I was pretty shocked (still got a gin and tonic though...)
    The 21 and older theater is great in my area on non-weekend, non holiday showings.

I prefer the family side on the other side of that coin ... Drunk 20- something's are more annoying than a screaming baby.

It's pretty quiet and people enjoy the movies on those normal M-Th nights.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    I watched Jeremy Jahns review. He calls out the cheapness of the film and compared the costumes to Batman and Robin. A movie credited for killing the genre in the 90s. Fans pretend to scratch their heads why MCU is flopping and has lost quality. I credit this to how Disney superficially puts these films together.
    The YouTube Industial Complex used to be great to amplify things I loved to watch but then the worm turned and now I can barely stand this ppl lol! Jahns became miserable with each passing year until I couldn't take him anymore.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    The YouTube Industial Complex used to be great to amplify things I loved to watch but then the worm turned and now I can barely stand this ppl lol! Jahns became miserable with each passing year until I couldn't take him anymore.
    Same here.

I used to listen to Jahns but some of his reviews just didn't straight make sense to me in the past.

Incredible Member

Same here.

I used to listen to Jahns but some of his reviews just didn't straight make sense to me in the past.
    At some point it became less about an honest review and more about what will get the most views. It doesn’t matter if it’s positive or negative it only matters what they think the audience wants to hear.

It's always funny watching someone suggest the MCU/Disney cut back on the amount of content, then turn around and complain that there's not a movie explaining every single event that happens in the universe.

Jahns is by no means my favourite critic. I listen to him often as I find his style of speaking grating. Jahns is still one of the few critics that go easy on comic films. If he says a movie is bad, good chance I may find it atrocious or worse than his definition of bad.

I agree with him about the cheapness of the film although this is not just Marvel. Flash looked cheap (DC). Madam Webb looks cheap (Sony). The Marvels cost 250 million. I will like to know how the money was spent that we got a CW level film with power rangers fitting costumes.

Oppenheimer has a budget of 100 million dollars and that movie did the cinema going experience justice including the IMAX experience. IMAX made a good call in giving Nolan more screens than Tom Cruise MI 7. It was worth it.

If I had to chose between Oppenheimer and any comic film right now to see in cinema again. I am going with Oppenheimer, which means less money for the comic genre.

Astonishing Member

The Marvels cost 250 million. I will like to know how the money was spent that we got a CW level film with power rangers fitting costumes.
    It actually costs more. Although it has subsides from the UK the last up to date budget is from September 2022. There have been re-shoots since then.

Astonishing Member

Imagine Marvel or any other movies cost would be 50% less, and thats doable (I suppose). The box office did not need to be that high.

Many movies look like **** and they are very expensive.

Better ask Christopher Nolan how he saves money. He seemingly knows how to do it.

Astonishing Member

Jahns is by no means my favourite critic. I listen to him often as I find his style of speaking grating. Jahns is still one of the few critics that go easy on comic films. If he says a movie is bad, good chance I may find it atrocious or worse than his definition of bad.

I agree with him about the cheapness of the film although this is not just Marvel. Flash looked cheap (DC). Madam Webb looks cheap (Sony). The Marvels cost 250 million. I will like to know how the money was spent that we got a CW level film with power rangers fitting costumes.

Oppenheimer has a budget of 100 million dollars and that movie did the cinema going experience justice including the IMAX experience. IMAX made a good call in giving Nolan more screens than Tom Cruise MI 7. It was worth it.

If I had to chose between Oppenheimer and any comic film right now to see in cinema again. I am going with Oppenheimer, which means less money for the comic genre.
    Oh, there...you said it before me.

On the other side, people get used to cheap cgi that looks bad and they won't notice it anymore or do not care. I sat with a buddy of mine through Justice league, and that movie looks artificial and awful, and he was totally fine with it, even knowing it looks more like a video game than a movie.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

"Superhero Fatigue " I literally remember this excuse floating around after Green Lantern Flopped.

At this point, yeah, some are tired. Every fad has its high and lows. My generation had the slasher flicks/action stars, the generation before me it was the cowboy movies, and this one has the super heroes

Although many are getting numb, its because so many are being dropped in a short time and its beyond obvious not much effort was put into it. Its not super hero fatigue. Its bad writing/not trying as much/quantity>quality which is why people are loosing interest.

Stephen King is saying its the fault of 'adolescent boys' why The Marvels bombed. Turns out much of those 'adolescent boys' is the major reason why Marvel was such a powerhouse and over 60% of the viewers that gave the movie a chance were men. If this movie was supposed to cater to..young women, then why not go after them for not showing up?

Or better yet, instead of blaming the obvious majority of the fan-base, maybe try reading why they weren't happy with it? Maybe instead try to focus quality writers, characters, and a story?
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 11-16-2023 at 02:41 PM.