View Poll Results: Is Comic Book Movie Fatigue Happening?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I think Audiences Are Finally Getting Tired Of These Movies

55 44.72%
  • No - This has been wildly exaggerated

46 37.40%
  • Too Early To Say Either Way

22 17.89%
Page 61 of 74 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Heck I am a big comic book guy. I almost hope at this point they do collapse so people just stop talking about it all day. People dont want comic book movies? Great go watch something else. Apparently there is not much else people want to watch either. Its just this constant bitching and bitching that annoys me. You guys dont want CBMS then go watch Barbie 4 and whatever else ya want to watch. You got your wish lol.
    Exactly.

I hope people are finally satisfied when they are gone so they can watch more Five Nights at Freddie's and the expanded Barbie universe. Or maybe we will get more romantic comedies again.

If folks think that tent poles will suddenly disappear for prestige dramas like we saw in the 1970s then they are sorely mistaken.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Star Wars and Star Trek are actually pretty good examples, albeit without the more recent success that the MCU has had.

Star Trek reboots and while the movies are successful for the most part, there were diminishing returns that more or less canceled the planned 4th film. Now everything is back to TV, set in the previously established canon.

Star Wars lacked any blueprint when Disney bought them and started shilling out movies. That too led to everything being redirected towards television. I couldn't even tell you if and when the next movie is being released and what it will be about.

The strikes will actually be a great thing for Marvel and DC. Marvel has one movie scheduled to be released next year, Deadpool 3. DC's reboot begins in 2025. That gives them plenty of time to made the adjustment and get things back on track.

You could be right. I am just tired of all the constant bitching about comic book movies. If the people want something else then by all means go see something else. I dont know what thats going to be. You can only do so many Barbie and Mario movies as well. In the end the theaters are the ones that suffer the lack of interest.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

I hope people are finally satisfied when they are gone so they can watch more Five Nights at Freddie's and the expanded Barbie universe.

If folks think that tent poles will suddenly disappear for prestige dramas like we saw in the 1970s then they are sorely mistaken.

Thats the way I look at it. Great no more comic book movies. Go watch Hunger games oh wait people aint going to see that neither. Oh wait Napoleon. Oh im sure that will make a billion. Oh wait how bout Dune. Sigh Whatever. I hope they do go away then, all the people will be happy, and they can watch all the other big movies that are coming lol.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I'm trying to see your point too. I mean, if 5 out of the top ten movies have been superhero movies every year but they didn't do as well at the box office this year, that's a movie trend, not specifically a superhero movie trend. Not to say superhero movies haven't slipped when 5 are in the top 10 but none of the top 3 are superhero movies. So, yes, it's a drop but hardly overwhelming.
    The MCU is going to have its first boafide flops this year in Ant-Man 3 and The Marvels, with the latter likely being one of the biggest flops of all-time. And Ant-Man 3 is one of the three super hero films in the top-10, which also tells you something about the state of the box office. Meanwhile, Guardians 3 made less than Guardians 2 not even adjusting for inflation, while it also made less than Guardians 1 adjusting for inflation. We haven't even discussed DC and their flops, but can if you'd like - Shazam 2, Flash, Blue Beetle, and soon-to-be Aquaman 2.

The only super hero film that is a sure-fire hit factoring in all things is Across the Spider-Verse, which was also made on a budget of $100 million and arguably the best-written super hero film of the year, if not post-pandemic.

Again, I go back to what I said previously. The days of Marvel Stuidos or any studio getting into the super hero business, spending $200 million or more on a movie and expecting it to make over $500 million on genre alone are done. There is still a market for these movies, but they need to spend more time on scripts and less money on shoddy CGI.

Astonishing Member

Exactly.

I hope people are finally satisfied when they are gone so they can watch more Five Nights at Freddie's and the expanded Barbie universe. Or maybe we will get more romantic comedies again.

It's funny you bring up something that already has like more than 10 videogames by itself, plus apparently more than 10 novels as well.

Maybe some people just don't want to put up with sub-par installments without wishing for something to go away entirely. Maybe that's not too much to ask.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies...s-ever-ranked/

Astonishing Member

Exactly.

I cant actually ever see romantic comedies being big again. People aint gonna dish out 15 bucks plus food for a rom com in this day and age. At least not many. The biggest rom com I can find on this years chart is No hard feelings. And that is the 39th biggest movie of the year. Maybe there is something else there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I cant actually ever see romantic comedies being big again. People aint gonna dish out 15 bucks plus food for a rom com in this day and age. At least not many. The biggest rom com I can find on this years chart is No hard feelings. And that is the 39th biggest movie of the year. Maybe there is something else there.
    Ticket to Paradise did more than Morbius in the distant year of 2022. But sure let's bully a comparatively less historically relevant or more down on its luck currently sub-genre in order to say everything is fine and let's keep spending $200 million or more on any and all superhero movies.

The MCU is going to have its first boafide flops this year in Ant-Man 3 and The Marvels, with the latter likely being one of the biggest flops of all-time. And Ant-Man 3 is one of the three super hero films in the top-10, which also tells you something about the state of the box office. Meanwhile, Guardians 3 made less than Guardians 2 not even adjusting for inflation, while it also made less than Guardians 1 adjusting for inflation. We haven't even discussed DC and their flops, but can if you'd like - Shazam 2, Flash, Blue Beetle, and soon-to-be Aquaman 2.

The only super hero film that is a sure-fire hit factoring in all things is Across the Spider-Verse, which was also made on a budget of $100 million and arguably the best-written super hero film of the year, if not post-pandemic.

Again, I go back to what I said previously. The days of Marvel Stuidos or any studio getting into the super hero business, spending $200 million or more on a movie and expecting it to make over $500 million on genre alone are done. There is still a market for these movies, but they need to spend more time on scripts and less money on shoddy CGI.
    Are people getting tired of superhero films in general or superhero movies that are MCU and DCU. I fear Aquaman 2 will bomb. The genre will thrive in some form but it is no longer anything attached to the cinematic landscape of the MCU and DCU.

Spiderverse is not part of the MCU and any Batman film not part of the DCU will be successful if the quality is good.

The genre is not fatigued but the MCU and DCU movies in the genre are fatigued. I would have put more faith in a quality Fox X-Men film been successful than a MCU X-Men film in Phase 4 and beyond.

The Marvels has a budget of $250 million. Where did all that money go. The movie looked very cheap. Liked it belonged on the CW. This is a huge flop for Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    It's funny you bring up something that already has like more than 10 videogames by itself, plus apparently more than 10 novels as well.

Maybe some people just don't want to put up with sub-par installments without wishing for something to go away entirely. Maybe that's not too much to ask.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies...s-ever-ranked/
    That's the thing, some are calling for superhero movies to go away entirely.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    As to the topic I don't get how one can say there is fatigue with a straight face when so far 3 of the top ten films of the year were super hero films this year, five of the top ten were super hero films last year, and five out of ten for 2021. In comparison four out of the top ten were super hero films in 2019, five out of ten 2018, 5/10 in 2017, and 4/10 in 2016.

If the ratio remains the same how is there fatigue?

There just isn't any objective measure that supports the idea that the audience has moved on from super hero films.
    Straight face, yes there is some fatigue.

Nope, you don't need everyone to say they are bored, just a percentage.

What do you say about posters here who say they are bored of watching superhero movies, especially after Endgame and are no longer interested?

Do the 52 who voted yes don't count?

Lot more CBM bombed this year than not. Not all of them were Catwoman bad.

Just because someone says there's fatigue doesn't mean all CBM are going to bomb, nor are they going to stop making them.

Wonder Woman 1984 getting released on streaming was a blessing in disguise. The movie would have flopped hard in cinemas like The Marvels.

It is damaging that both Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman sequel films did not and could not surpass their original films.

Marvel and DC will not be making any female led film for a very long time. Batgirl was scrapped, Gal Gadot is not going to be in the Gunn reboot and it is safe to say Brie Larson will not get a third film.

The attempt era of female driven superhero films is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Straight face, yes there is some fatigue.

Nope, you don't need everyone to say they are bored, just a percentage.

What do you say about posters here who say they are bored of watching superhero movies, especially after Endgame and are no longer interested?

Do the 52 who voted yes don't count?

Lot more CBM bombed this year than not. Not all of them were Catwoman bad.

Just because someone says there's fatigue doesn't mean all CBM are going to bomb, nor are they going to stop making them.
    Makes sense to me. It's part of the natural order for the film industry and all media in a way. Ebb and flow, things progress and change, no one genre can remain dominant. I think superheroes have a particular attraction because you can do so many genres within the superhero genre itself. But numbers don't lie, and even I only prefer my superheroes in comic books these days.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Makes sense to me. It's part of the natural order for the film industry and all media in a way. Ebb and flow, things progress and change, no one genre can remain dominant. I think superheroes have a particular attraction because you can do so many genres within the superhero genre itself. But numbers don't lie, and even I only prefer my superheroes in comic books these days.
    Ironically your username might be the last director in Hollywood who consistently gets away with spending exorbitant budgets, with some in the industry and fandoms waiting for his demise, and it's turned out to be money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Ironically your username might be the last director in Hollywood who consistently gets away with spending exorbitant budgets, with some in the industry and fandoms waiting for his demise, and it's turned out to be money well spent.
    You're right, even I myself have doubted Cameron, but he hits the mark every time. Ever since the start of his career he has been proving doubters wrong. I'm happy that he's still making great movies that feel new and relevant even after his long career.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them