View Poll Results: Is Comic Book Movie Fatigue Happening?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I think Audiences Are Finally Getting Tired Of These Movies

55 44.72%
  • No - This has been wildly exaggerated

46 37.40%
  • Too Early To Say Either Way

22 17.89%
Page 46 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    You're telling me this cost more than The Avengers movie? There's no way everything looked cheap in this it looked like a episode of AOS.
    Disagree.
    By the way Agents of shield episodes look like mini movies,not cheap.

There is so much revisionist history going on.

I remember some folks back then said the first avengers movie look like a tv movie,remember that non-sense?
    How soon some folks forget when some things in the past phases was being bashed.

Anybody remember these type of talks more then 5 years ago,even before phase 3.

Why does Marvel Studios movies look so cheap?
    https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards...eases/73952970

Why Marvel Studios movies cinematography so bland/cheap looking?
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...landc-1802770/

Why MCU Movies Look Better When Shot on Film, Not Digital
    https://www.imdb.com/news/ni64100409/

Why Do Marvel's Movies Look Kind of Ugly? (video essay)

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm..._kind_of_ugly/

Fans Discuss Why the First ‘Avengers’ Movie Looks So Much Like a TV Show
    Marvel fans eagerly await the Marvel Cinematic Universe TV shows that will debut on Disney+ in the fall, and are re-watching the movies while they wait.
    https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...-tv-show.html/

"The Avengers looks like a TV show"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8#t=4m47
    https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudi...ike_a_tv_show/
    Last edited by mace11; 07-31-2023 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Disagree.
    By the way Agents of shield episodes look like mini movies,not cheap.

There is so much revisionist history going on.

I remember some folks back then said the first avengers movie look like a tv movie,remember that non-sense?
    How soon some folks forget when some things in the past phases was being bashed.

Anybody remember these type of talks more then 5 years ago,even before phase 3.

Why does Marvel Studios movies look so cheap?
    https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards...eases/73952970

Why Marvel Studios movies cinematography so bland/cheap looking?
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...landc-1802770/

Why MCU Movies Look Better When Shot on Film, Not Digital
    https://www.imdb.com/news/ni64100409/

Why Do Marvel's Movies Look Kind of Ugly? (video essay)

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm..._kind_of_ugly/

Fans Discuss Why the First ‘Avengers’ Movie Looks So Much Like a TV Show
    Marvel fans eagerly await the Marvel Cinematic Universe TV shows that will debut on Disney+ in the fall, and are re-watching the movies while they wait.
    https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...-tv-show.html/

"The Avengers looks like a TV show"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8#t=4m47
    https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudi...ike_a_tv_show/
    I never thought Agents of shield looked like anything close to a movie they looked cheap to me.

I never thought Agents of shield looked like anything close to a movie they looked cheap to me.
    I thought AoS looked good. But then, a 30 second commercial today has better effects than a theatrical movie when I was a kid.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I thought AoS looked good. But then, a 30 second commercial today has better effects than a theatrical movie when I was a kid.
    It didn't look terrible they did good for what they had but it also didn't look like a 100 million show ans SI looks worse.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    The Flash was a unique situation due to the Ezra Miller fiasco.

The new DCU, starting with Gunn's Superman, is what will determine DC's future. Everything prior to that has been made before Gunn came in (except Suicide Squad and Peacemaker).
    The general public/movie going audience doesn't know a thing about Ezra Miller's personal woes.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

The failure of Mission Impossible has convinced me the issue is movie franchise fatigue, not necessarily something exclusive to super hero films.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    The failure of Mission Impossible has convinced me the issue is movie franchise fatigue, not necessarily something exclusive to super hero films.
    It's not really a failure yet.

The general public/movie going audience doesn't know a thing about Ezra Miller's personal woes.
    I disagree a lot more people new about it than I thought word gets around.

Yeah, I stopped watching AOS around season 2 or 3, but the special effects definitely weren't movie-level. Hell, they couldn't even spend the money to make Sif look the same. Her make-up looked cheap, to the point of some people not realizing it was the same actress/character.

You're telling me this cost more than The Avengers movie? There's no way everything looked cheap in this it looked like a episode of AOS.
    AoS, one of the best looking comic book shows to ever air, where each episode looks like a movie? That AoS?

Seriously, you could have cited any other CB tv show...

EDIT: Looks like not everyone agrees. :shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Yeah, I stopped watching AOS around season 2 or 3, but the special effects definitely weren't movie-level. Hell, they couldn't even spend the money to make Sif look the same. Her make-up looked cheap, to the point of some people not realizing it was the same actress/character.
    that explains it. 4 is the core!
    Last edited by James Cameron; 07-31-2023 at 06:55 PM.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I don't see why it didn't cost the lions share of it. It isn't cheap. Until I see a break down I'll go with that vs your take.
    I pointed this out in the SI thread:

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    You could make Oppenheimer TWICE with the budget for Secret Invasion and you'd still be left with $12 million change.
    I don't see how because it's a multi-episode TV show that we should be making excuses for something that straight up looks bad. Oh, they had a bunch of CGI skrulls? They had to de-age Samuel L Jackson? Explosions and shootouts? Well fine, but we are not living in 2005 anymore. There are countless TV shows NOT made by one of the biggest media conglomerates in history that utilize CGI frequently in creative ways across more episodes. Explosions and shootouts do not cost a lion's share of $220 MILLION DOLLARS. In fact none of those things do, not anymore. We need to take a deep breath and actually seriously contemplate how much money $220 million is. That is SO MUCH MONEY! So why do we make excuses for Disney? Why do people pearl clutch with Disney/Marvel specifically?

Maybe if we all in unison could just say "hey, this looks bad, and costs way more money than it should have, where exactly did that money go?" we could actually get better content. But then again, it's important for me to recognize that the worst things to me could be anybody's favorite things so it's not for me to judge. But I do think it's silly to recognize that something looks bad but then try to make excuses for it, especially when the company making it is freaking Disney.
    Last edited by James Cameron; 07-31-2023 at 07:06 PM.
    They/Them

But that is going to affect superhero movies.

What IP hasn't been explored? And if there's franchise fatigue that means if you have a good IP, it might go to a one-off film.

An odd movie that may be important here is Joker 2. If that's a hit, it would suggest that some sequels are quite welcome.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I pointed this out in the SI thread:

I don't see how because it's a multi-episode TV show that we should be making excuses for something that straight up looks bad. Oh, they had a bunch of CGI skrulls? They had to de-age Samuel L Jackson? Explosions and shootouts? Well fine, but we are not living in 2005 anymore. There are countless TV shows NOT made by one of the biggest media conglomerates in history that utilize CGI frequently in creative ways across more episodes. Explosions and shootouts do not cost a lion's share of $220 MILLION DOLLARS. In fact none of those things do, not anymore. We need to take a deep breath and actually seriously contemplate how much money $220 million is. That is SO MUCH MONEY! So why do we make excuses for Disney? Why do people pearl clutch with Disney/Marvel specifically?

Maybe if we all in unison could just say "hey, this looks bad, and costs way more money than it should have, where exactly did that money go?" we could actually get better content. But then again, it's important for me to recognize that the worst things to me could be anybody's favorite things so it's not for me to judge. But I do think it's silly to recognize that something looks bad but then try to make excuses for it, especially when the company making it is freaking Disney.
    I suspect the people who signed the checks are going to be the ones to as ask "Hey, where did our money go? The $220 MILLION DOLLARS?"

Random fans may be ignored. Business partners won't.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

AoS, one of the best looking comic book shows to ever air, where each episode looks like a movie? That AoS?

Seriously, you could have cited any other CB tv show...

EDIT: Looks like not everyone agrees. :shrug:

that explains it. 4 is the core!
    Like I was saying AOS doesn't look terrible but like a movie? I really don't know were that's coming from and I liked AOS.

Like I was saying AOS doesn't look terrible but like a movie? I really don't know were that's coming from and I liked AOS.
    "Every episode looks like a movie" is definitely an exaggeration but it is the most cinematic superhero TV show of its era in my view, not just in how it looks but also in its format and how it was structured. Most superhero shows then like Arrow, the Flash etc had overarching storylines but always stuck to a procedural format in how the plot was presented, where you have the villain/problem of the week and characters spending the most time in whatever set the headquarters is. After season 1 AoS just kept ramping up the plot every season, the implications of what was going on kept getting bigger and more compelling, and it didn't need to be CGI heavy every episode, they crafted some really awesome action scenes with great choreography that had the same impact and rhythm as fight scenes from a blockbuster action film. I just remember watching it and constantly going "wow, this feels like a movie." my love for the show and its impressive qualities, as a fan, is probably greatly informing this take, but I often cite that show as superheroes on TV done right, to me it should be a blueprint that others follow.
    They/Them