View Poll Results: Is Comic Book Movie Fatigue Happening?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I think Audiences Are Finally Getting Tired Of These Movies

55 44.72%
  • No - This has been wildly exaggerated

46 37.40%
  • Too Early To Say Either Way

22 17.89%
Page 36 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    He is bigger than Keaton, and had a recent hit with Mission Impossible: Fallout.

He hadn't made any film between Fallout and Top Gun: Maverick, so he seems to have some clear strategy.

He was much more prolific before Fallout, including a few flops (The Mummy, Rock of Ages, Oblivion) and a few critically acclaimed flops (American Made, Edge of Tomorrow.) I'm guessing there was careful brand management behind the scenes.
    Tom Cruise is a zealous scientologist and has been a close friend of Church of Scientology leader David Miscavige since the 1980. Despite his association with scientology, his movies still sell unlike Ezra Miller's Flash.

Maybe scientology is not as bad as bad behavior (strangling people, disorderly conduct, burglary, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    DC League of Super-Pets 2022 was a big screen dc flop as well.
    Meh, I liked it and it made back over twice it's budget. General consensus of movie forums seems to be it's a hit, just not a hit by the standards now expected of any superhero movie. It's also very clearly a children's movie with some adult appeal making back it's budget and more than that again is fairly decent.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    My point is older people go to movies I see them there all the time Colossus1980 was saying using Batman 89 was a bad call because people who saw it then are to old to go to the movies and people younger don't care .
    Since the pandemic there is clearly a decline in older demographics among moviegoers, that's why most movies skewing towards adults have been disappointments. Top Gun: Maverick was a rare exception where they came out in droves and that was because they basically got a carbon copy of the 80s original.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Meh, I liked it and it made back over twice it's budget. General consensus of movie forums seems to be it's a hit, just not a hit by the standards now expected of any superhero movie. It's also very clearly a children's movie with some adult appeal making back it's budget and more than that again is fairly decent.
    What was the marketing budget for DC League of Super Pets (2022)?

Was it around the same as Birds of Prey?
    If so then DC League of Super Pets flop like Birds of Prey and the Production Budget cause more.

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020)
    Production Budget: $82,000,000
    https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Bi...0)#tab=summary

DC League of Super Pets (2022)
    Production Budget: $90,000,000
    https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/DC...2)#tab=summary

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    What was the marketing budget for DC League of Super Pets (2022)?

Was it around the same as Birds of Prey?
    If so then DC League of Super Pets flop like Birds of Prey and the Production Budget cause more.

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020)
    Production Budget: $82,000,000
    https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Bi...0)#tab=summary

DC League of Super Pets (2022)
    Production Budget: $90,000,000
    https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/DC...2)#tab=summary
    From what I've read, the production budget was $90 million. The box office was around 210-220 million.

OOPS! You said "Marketing Budget". My mistake. It seems more like 130 million when you count all costs. Also, different movie sites seem to differ on "Hit or Flop" depending on whether they are judging actual profits or expectations.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 06-25-2023 at 11:46 AM.

After a catastrophically bad opening weekend, the Flash had a catastrophically bad dropoff, the worst since Morbius.

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/sta...91640024383488

So people on the fence about it didn't see a reason to go to theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Tom Cruise is a zealous scientologist and has been a close friend of Church of Scientology leader David Miscavige since the 1980. Despite his association with scientology, his movies still sell unlike Ezra Miller's Flash.

Maybe scientology is not as bad as bad behavior (strangling people, disorderly conduct, burglary, etc)
    Scientology isn't seen as being on the same level as the other stuff, and Cruise has been effective as messaging.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    After a catastrophically bad opening weekend, the Flash had a catastrophically bad dropoff, the worst since Morbius.

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/sta...91640024383488

So people on the fence about it didn't see a reason to go to theaters.

Scientology isn't seen as being on the same level as the other stuff, and Cruise has been effective as messaging.
    For me, the thing is that it will be on HBO-Max probably in August, or two months after the theatrical release as opposed to the six months or more that it once was. I've waffled about seeing it and the fact it won't be but a couple of months is what keeps holding me back. Same with Spiderverse and Little Mermaid. I think we've reached the point where we have to look at overall success, including streaming.

That said, the only appeal the Flash movie has for me was that it might reset the history of the DCEU and that Michael Keaton was reprising his Batman role. Other than that, I far preferred Grant Gustin's Flash to Miller's FILO (Flash In Name Only alias Bart kind of).

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    For me, the thing is that it will be on HBO-Max probably in August, or two months after the theatrical release as opposed to the six months or more that it once was. I've waffled about seeing it and the fact it won't be but a couple of months is what keeps holding me back. Same with Spiderverse and Little Mermaid. I think we've reached the point where we have to look at overall success, including streaming.

That said, the only appeal the Flash movie has for me was that it might reset the history of the DCEU and that Michael Keaton was reprising his Batman role. Other than that, I far preferred Grant Gustin's Flash to Miller's FILO (Flash In Name Only alias Bart kind of).
    I didn't hate the Flash film, but it is a bad take on Barry Allen, continuing with his intro in the Justice League. I remember Grant Morrison writing about Peter Parker was a dork compared to the Kennedy Men who were the leads in earlier superhero stories and this specific take on Barry Allen (like the confession to Wonder Woman that he's a virgin) makes any take on Peter Parker seem confident and macho.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Thor Love and Thunder a Flop or Not, Complete Breakdown

No, it is not a flop.

Astonishing Member

Not a flop but caused a lot of damage to the MCU brand with it's over the top humor. Gave a black eye to Taika and I don't think the MCU ever wants him back to direct another movie. Also derailed a possible Thor 5 with the divisive ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Not a flop but caused a lot of damage to the MCU brand with it's over the top humor. Gave a black eye to Taika and I don't think the MCU ever wants him back to direct another movie. Also derailed a possible Thor 5 with the divisive ratings.
    I hate Taiki's approach. But you seriously think there's not going to be another Thor movie because an MCU movie had over the top humor? Everybody knows what a Taiki movie is going to be. It's going to be comedy, which could be great except when it's taking dramatic material and turning it into one-liners and fluff. But that hasn't stopped the popularity with the general public. In fact, a big problem is that audiences now expect most superhero movies to be fluff and they are "bad" if they aren't "loads of fun" by that definition.

"Are we really ready for a post-MCU world?
    The Marvel Cinematic Universe may be on the ropes, but what it's leading to is even more terrifying. Brace yourself for the ‘consumer-verse’…"

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/articl...b-global-en-GB
    Last edited by hyped78; 06-26-2023 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    "Are we really ready for a post-MCU world?
    The Marvel Cinematic Universe may be on the ropes, but what it's leading to is even more terrifying. Brace yourself for the ‘consumer-verse’…"

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/articl...b-global-en-GB
    Yes. There are those who want to see the MCU end because then people will go see those "little" movies they've been ignoring. Even some celebrities say that. But what if people just don't go see movies nearly as often once the MCU ends? What if they still just hit the big blockbusters and nothing else?

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

MCU was successful because they made watchable interconnected movies. They are no longer making watchable movies that is why they are struggling not because of comic book fatigue