View Poll Results: Is Comic Book Movie Fatigue Happening?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I think Audiences Are Finally Getting Tired Of These Movies

56 45.16%
  • No - This has been wildly exaggerated

46 37.10%
  • Too Early To Say Either Way

22 17.74%
Page 28 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Having seen both I found D and D way superior in terms of jokes and writing. Quantumania was a very generic super-hero movie IMO. Came in with an open mind and was hoping critic bias but nope I believe the scores are accurate. The Freedom Fighters in Ant-Man was so ho-hum. Easily forgettable. Again too many jokes for an MCU movie. Easily the weakest of the Ant-Man trilogy.

Yea cant agree with that. I liked the movies about the same for different reasons. But hey everyone has opinions. D&D was a decent marvel movie. With a non serious villain to tell you the truth. I mean Huge Grant was basically a joke villain. Which was fine, but critics going goofy over that movie when there is nothing really new or different there, while slamming marvel movies I find pretty funny to be honest.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Interestingly, I don't really rush out to the movies anymore either.

Especially now that stuff comes to streaming SUPER fast.

Depending on the movie, it almost seems like a waste going to the theatres now.

I go for certain movies. But I have a theater literally right by my house. I do think there is so much stuff on tv now, or other forms of entertainment that its harder to get many to go out to the movies. I dont really blame people to be honest.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I go for certain movies. But I have a theater literally right by my house. I do think there is so much stuff on tv now, or other forms of entertainment that its harder to get many to go out to the movies. I dont really blame people to be honest.
    You're lucky, I spend about 10 minutes going to the theatre and if I am going to watch a movie (especially the big movies) I have to go with my wife and kids (if I watch a movie without them, they'll never let me live it down).

Post-pandemic, ticket prices are crazy high now and I have to pick and choose which movies I go to see.

Luckily stuff is coming to stream very, very fast so I've managed to catch up on a lot of stuff.

Incredible Member

Just driving to a theater has become tedious as well, I've been very selective with what to watch on the big screen and what to wait on streaming.

Now as to superhero fatigue IMO it probably comes down to character recognition, yeah sure I know every D-list Marvel character has suddenly become huge pop culture icons thanks to the Disney assembly line and I for one am glad as I remember a time when those characters wouldn't be touched but I think now is time for the X-Men to come back to the big screen and I don't know what the hold up is.

After Endgame I didn't care for the rest on Marvel's slate and after I'd streamed them on Disney+ I was glad to have saved money by skipping them. I did see Quantumania but only because the first two Ant-Man films were good, it was merely ok but GOTG v.3 was not in my must see list to watch.

Ultimate Member

So, I'm reading that GoTG 3 might have grossed near $10m yesterday.

That points to a really strong hold. My earlier assertion that this part could be the highest-grossing part might end up being correct.

Interestingly, word of mouth in foreign markets seems super strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Interestingly, I don't really rush out to the movies anymore either.

Especially now that stuff comes to streaming SUPER fast.

Depending on the movie, it almost seems like a waste going to the theatres now.
    That's very true. There have been several movies I was interested in going to the theater to watch, but it felt like a chore so I just stayed home. Eventually it got to streaming and all was good. These days I'm way more comfortable at home on my couch with beverage in hand. Definitely don't miss the $18 popcorn and soda. Screw that!

I was actually planning on seeing GOTG 3 last Friday with friend but he got sick, so I guess we'll go next weekend. Maybe.

Two things I rarely see mentioned in these types of discussions: cost of living and availability of disposable income. Let’s start including these factors when we want to have a “real conversation.”

My monthly mortgage payment recently went up almost $100 due to a spike in property taxes. My boyfriend’s rent in a much bigger city is going up almost $200 monthly. He’s having to consider finding a new place.

While I still have disposable income myself (although I may have to be slightly more selective), things like this affect other people differently.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 05-09-2023 at 10:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Two things I rarely see mentioned in these types of discussions: cost of living and availability of disposable income. Let’s start including these factors when we want to have a “real conversation.”

My monthly mortgage payment recently went up almost $100 due to a spike in property taxes. My boyfriend’s rent in a much bigger city is going up almost $200 monthly. He’s having to consider finding a new place.

While I still have disposable income myself (although I may have to be slightly more selective), things like this affect other people differently.
    Eh, I dunno...Mario hit a billion. Ppl have money for what they wanna have money for.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Eh, I dunno...Mario hit a billion. Ppl have money for what they wanna have money for.
    I dont know if people have money or not. But they aint spending it at the movies like they did 5 years ago. Appears its slowly coming back. But its got a long way to go.

Extraordinary Member

I dont know if people have money or not. But they aint spending it at the movies like they did 5 years ago. Appears its slowly coming back. But its got a long way to go.
    You think comic book movies are more popular now, than they were 5 yrs ago? Or same/ less?

Incredible Member

If the next Mario Bros movie doesn’t make over a billion are we going to be discussing video game movie fatigue?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    If the next Mario Bros movie doesn’t make over a billion are we going to be discussing video game movie fatigue?
    Nah you'd need the 3rd Mario movie in a trilogy to underperform for ppl to say that. That being said I think it's ridiculous for ppl to say a movie is a failure if it doesn't gross a bllion.

Astonishing Member

You think comic book movies are more popular now, than they were 5 yrs ago? Or same/ less?

I think 5 years ago they of course peaked, with Endgame. But its kind of a loaded question, because you are talking the absolute pinnacle of the genre. Are they less popular than 10 years ago? No. 20 years ago? No. People forget how many CBMS in these time periods either out right flopped or didnt do so great. You had huge ones like Spider-man 1 or Dark Knight . You had ones that just did ok like the most of the x-men films or the first Marvel movies other than Iron Man. And you had total failures like Green Lantern, or The Fantastic four. Baseline I dont really think its much different than it was except the quantity they the studios are putting out and the Endgame pinnacle.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 05-09-2023 at 02:08 PM.

Incredible Member

5 years ago was the culmination of a massive Avengers crossover event. You know what we haven’t had since? An Avengers movie. The MCU was built around the Avengers. So if you adjust for that Avengers crossover event I think these movies are still as popular as they were 10 years ago.

It’s not fatigue as much as normalization. Whenever they do another big crossover event, hopefully with FF and X-Men in the mix I think you will see another big bump and then it will return to normal after.

People will spend money, that's for sure. The question is: did any of the people that spent money on Mario have to make a decision to not spend money on another movie that will be available on a streaming service they already pay for (or mooch off of someone else), which (nowadays) is typically available faster than in the past? I don't think this decision is "fatigue," I think it's "smarter spending."

And I can't say with confidence that that number is 0.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 05-09-2023 at 03:47 PM.