View Poll Results: Is Comic Book Movie Fatigue Happening?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I think Audiences Are Finally Getting Tired Of These Movies

55 44.72%
  • No - This has been wildly exaggerated

46 37.40%
  • Too Early To Say Either Way

22 17.89%
Page 16 of 73 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I'm not saying he makes bad movies. I've liked all of those movies. But to say they were successful enough to where the general movie-going audience knows who he is or will see a movie just because he directed it is ignorant. You have to have a long history of either award winning films or pure garbage for the average moviegoer to know who a director is.
    I don't know, I don't think it's ignorant at all to believe he has some (albeit small) cache with the general public at this point. I think you're either underestimating how popular some of his films have been, or the general audience's ability to pay attention to these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridays View Post
    I will call what Fox wanted a standard film series with spin offs. Not a cinematic universe like the MCU.
    Look, I don't believe what Fox made with the X-Men franchise could be called a cinematic universe either - but that's more along the lines of I just don't think they really got there before they got bought up. Like clearly they wanted to be a cinematic universe, they clearly were heading in that direction, they clearly planned movies to build out a true cinematic universe, it just never really congealed before the end. But they were drinking the cinematic universe kool-aid just as much as Universal's Dark Universe or Legendary's Monsterverse, all in awe at the money the MCU was raking in. I'm not going to deny that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    At least they are starting to come out and say what they really mean; "The MCU cannot be in decline because I have a religious belief that it will last forever!"
    I really don’t think that’s what they were trying to say. Quite the opposite actually.

Mighty Member

if I actually bothered to watch every superhero film, I probably WOULD have comic book movie fatigue. since I only watch the ones that look interesting to me... it hasn't happened yet.

two examples: I don't like Ant Man... but I like Edgar Wright's other films. so, I watched that and had fun. another example is Dr. Strange. I watched "Multiverse of Madness" specifically because I enjoyed Sam Raimi's other films.

getting hypothetical... I don't like Thor enough as a character to watch all of those films. now, if Robert Eggers made a Thor movie, I'd absolutely watch that... but that probably wouldn't be the MCU version of the character!

as others have pointed out, Marvel movies are constantly getting new potential fans (aka new kids are born every day). so, while movie fatigue is probably setting in for the older generations... the kids haven't watched all of that stuff yet. so, it's still fun for them. since a lot of the people visiting theaters for the MCU films are families with kids. I don't see this sort of fatigue ever really settling in.

it would be like saying that suddenly... tomorrow... people will stop watching CGI animated family-oriented films. I mean... that's never gonna happen!
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-29-2023 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It isn't commonly held though...if it were then they wouldn't consistently be in the top ten highest grossing films year after year.
    https://gamerant.com/ant-man-3-box-o...nd-mcu-record/

"Cocaine Bear landed a shot on Ant-Man 3 as Marvel blockbusters continue trending downwards at the box office"

"All these numbers also fail to take into consideration two things: that movie ticket prices have gone up, even if slightly since 2018, thus fewer people are watching Marvel movies as a whole"

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    https://gamerant.com/ant-man-3-box-o...nd-mcu-record/

"Cocaine Bear landed a shot on Ant-Man 3 as Marvel blockbusters continue trending downwards at the box office"

"All these numbers also fail to take into consideration two things: that movie ticket prices have gone up, even if slightly since 2018, thus fewer people are watching Marvel movies as a whole"
    It's click-bait pure and simple.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

It's click-bait pure and simple.
    Why?

Also here:
    https://www.thewrap.com/ant-man-box-...p-quantumania/

Because domestically it's only done slightly less than the last (210 million vs. 216 million) but printing, "Third Film In Series Does Slightly Less Than Predecessor(as is normal)!" is not as sexy," The End Is Nigh!" as headlines go.

But hey, don't let a little thing like reality get in the way of a good time.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Because domestically it's only done slightly less than the last (210 million vs. 216 million) but printing, "Third Film In Series Does Slightly Less Than Predecessor(as is normal)!" is not as sexy," The End Is Nigh!" as headlines go.

But hey, don't let a little thing like reality get in the way of a good time.
    But that's not what the articles are mainly about? They're about a revenue plummet of -69% WoW, the largest second-weekend drop in the history of the MCU and the largest drop for any superhero movie with a $100 million-plus opening since the 69.6% WoW drop of Batman vs Superman (2016).

Do you dispute these numbers?

But that's not what the articles are mainly about? They're about a revenue plummet of -69% WoW, the largest second-weekend drop in the history of the MCU and the largest drop for any superhero movie with a $100 million-plus opening since the 69.6% WoW drop of Batman vs Superman (2016).

Quantumania is currently the # 1 film worldwide no doubt Mario Bros will pass it but for the 1st quarter of 2023 Quantumania was the number 1 film meaning more people saw it than any other movie that doesn't sound like fatigue.

At the end of the day that doesn't really matter so it's a nothing burger because the take is only slightly less than the last. And even when you look at world wide the difference is easy to see that it's not fatigue as if it wasn't for Russia at war with the Ukraine and China still having a lot of its theaters closed the total box office for AntMan three would probably be only slightly behind the world wide take as other countries are all about the same but those three I listed.

The articles are latching on to that one statistic because they have an agenda to push, saying something that people are going to find controversial or see as affirming their bias is going to drive more clicks and thus more revenue than simply stating the fact that the difference isn't that significant and has no real meaning as far as trends go. You just have to do better in evaluating your sources.

At the end of the day that doesn't really matter so it's a nothing burger because the take is only slightly less than the last. And even when you look at world wide the difference is easy to see that it's not fatigue as if it wasn't for Russia at war with the Ukraine and China still having a lot of its theaters closed the total box office for AntMan three would probably be only slightly behind the world wide take as other countries are all about the same but those three I listed.

The articles are latching on to that one statistic because they have an agenda to push, saying something that people are going to find controversial or see as affirming their bias is going to drive more clicks and thus more revenue than simply stating the fact that the difference isn't that significant and has no real meaning as far as trends go. You just have to do better in evaluating your sources.
    Other sources then:

Variety - "‘Ant-Man 3’ Crashed at the Box Office After a Trilogy-Best Opening. What Went Wrong?"
    https://variety.com/2023/film/news/a...ey-1235564875/

Digital Spy - "Has Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania been a box office flop?"
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a4...ice-explained/

NBC - "‘Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania’ box office suffered steep decline in second week"
    https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/28/ant-...ox-office.html

Do NBC and Variety have also "an agenda to push"?

From the NBC article - "Disney and Marvel Studio’s “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” saw the sharpest decline in ticket sales from opening weekend to second weekend in Marvel Cinematic Universe history."

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Quantumania is currently the # 1 film worldwide no doubt Mario Bros will pass it but for the 1st quarter of 2023 Quantumania was the number 1 film meaning more people saw it than any other movie that doesn't sound like fatigue.
    That's true. But that's ("is currently the # 1 film worldwide") also true about the majority of MCU movies.

From the Digital Spy article I posted on my comment just above this one:
    "Despite a US debut of $106.1 million, which set a new record for the franchise, Quantumania has yet to overtake the final hauls of Ant-Man ($518.9 million) and Ant-Man and the Wasp ($623.1 million). Neither of those movies was a big Marvel draw, which makes the threequel's current haul even more disappointing."
    Last edited by hyped78; 03-31-2023 at 07:05 AM.

Do NBC and Variety have also "an agenda to push"?
    Yes. 99% of websites have an agenda to create whatever headline gives them the most clicks, or to create the most traction on social media from people that only read headlines. It's in almost all news and journalism. It's just some are more blatant or open about it than others.

It's just like how cable news networks always jump to be the first to report something regardless of how much of the information they have on it so that they get the most viewers, even though it often leads to misinformation.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Yes. 99% of websites have an agenda to create whatever headline gives them the most clicks, or to create the most traction on social media from people that only read headlines. It's in almost all news and journalism. It's just some are more blatant or open about it than others.

It's just like how cable news networks always jump to be the first to report something regardless of how much of the information they have on it so that they get the most viewers, even though it often leads to misinformation.
    But the point then is - are the numbers cited in all those articles I posted above true or fake?