View Poll Results: Is Comic Book Movie Fatigue Happening?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I think Audiences Are Finally Getting Tired Of These Movies

55 44.72%
  • No - This has been wildly exaggerated

46 37.40%
  • Too Early To Say Either Way

22 17.89%
Page 29 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    People will spend money, that's for sure. The question is: did any of the people that spent money on Mario have to make a decision to not spend money on another movie that will be available on a streaming service they already pay for (or mooch off of someone else), which (nowadays) is typically available faster than in the past? I don't think this decision is "fatigue," I think it's "smarter spending."

And I can't say with confidence that that number is 0.
    True. I think in the states at least, we are looking at event movies that have done well. Mario, Avatar 2, Top Gun, No way home. These are certain types of movies, where they are nostalgic or unique. Most other movies even if they are good much of the movie going populace thinks eh I will catch it in 2 months on streaming.

Astonishing Member

Two things I rarely see mentioned in these types of discussions: cost of living and availability of disposable income. Let’s start including these factors when we want to have a “real conversation.”

My monthly mortgage payment recently went up almost $100 due to a spike in property taxes. My boyfriend’s rent in a much bigger city is going up almost $200 monthly. He’s having to consider finding a new place.

While I still have disposable income myself (although I may have to be slightly more selective), things like this affect other people differently.
    I'd always like to mention the talks of a recession hurting the movie industry. Also inflation. There's only so much money that can go around, especially for a family of four. Wait two or three months and the movie is available. Something has to be chopped and food is more important than entertainment.

Looking at the MCU box office post-Covid...
    Black Widow- Flop, but mainly due to Covid and a flawed streaming strategy.
    Shang Chi- Decent.
    Eternals- Meh
    Spider-Man No Way Home- Monster hit.
    Doctor Strange 2- Monster hit.
    Black Panther 2- Hit
    Thor Love & Thunder- Decent
    Antman 3- It's a flop
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3- It's likely going to go down as Decent.

And then other superhero films...
    Venom There Will Be Carnage- Hit
    The Batman- Hit
    Black Adam- Flop
    Shazam 2- Flop
    Morbius- Flop

Looking at 2017-2019:
    Wonder Woman- Monster hit
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2- Hit
    Spider-Man Homecoming- Hit
    Thor: Ragnarok- Hit
    Logan- Decent
    Justice League- Flop
    Black Panther- Monster hit
    Avengers Infinity War- Hit
    Incredibles 2- Monster Hit
    Antman 2- Hit
    Captain Marvel- Monster Hit
    Avengers Endgame- Monster Hit
    Spider-Man Far From Home- Hit
    Venom- Monster Hit (largely due to international sales)
    Aquaman- Monster Hit

The batting average seemed better a few years ago.

People will spend money, that's for sure. The question is: did any of the people that spent money on Mario have to make a decision to not spend money on another movie that will be available on a streaming service they already pay for (or mooch off of someone else), which (nowadays) is typically available faster than in the past? I don't think this decision is "fatigue," I think it's "smarter spending."

And I can't say with confidence that that number is 0.
    A further point on streaming is that there was the Guardians of the Galaxy special on Disney+. So fans are already used to the idea of getting the characters there.

It had been six years since Part 2, so that might have affected the brand.

Audiences forget about the characters as movie leads, and haven't had a chance to miss them due to three guest-appearances and the holiday special.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Looking at the MCU box office post-Covid...
    Black Widow- Flop, but mainly due to Covid and a flawed streaming strategy.
    Shang Chi- Decent.
    Eternals- Meh
    Spider-Man No Way Home- Monster hit.
    Doctor Strange 2- Monster hit.
    Black Panther 2- Hit
    Thor Love & Thunder- Decent
    Antman 3- It's a flop
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3- It's likely going to go down as Decent.

And then other superhero films...
    Venom There Will Be Carnage- Hit
    The Batman- Hit
    Black Adam- Flop
    Shazam 2- Flop
    Morbius- Flop

Looking at 2017-2019:
    Wonder Woman- Monster hit
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2- Hit
    Spider-Man Homecoming- Hit
    Thor: Ragnarok- Hit
    Logan- Decent
    Justice League- Flop
    Black Panther- Monster hit
    Avengers Infinity War- Hit
    Incredibles 2- Monster Hit
    Antman 2- Hit
    Captain Marvel- Monster Hit
    Avengers Endgame- Monster Hit
    Spider-Man Far From Home- Hit
    Venom- Monster Hit (largely due to international sales)
    Aquaman- Monster Hit

The batting average seemed better a few years ago.

A further point on streaming is that there was the Guardians of the Galaxy special on Disney+. So fans are already used to the idea of getting the characters there.

It had been six years since Part 2, so that might have affected the brand.

Audiences forget about the characters as movie leads, and haven't had a chance to miss them due to three guest-appearances and the holiday special.

Personally I think you are underestimating GOTG 3 here. Its doing very well overseas. And so far its holding pretty well in the states. Word of mouth is very good. Also I mean Venom did 270 freaking million in China and another 32 million in Russia. Thats just not gonna happen right now for most of these movies anymore. Thats 300 million dollars right there. Thats crazy money.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I'd always like to mention the talks of a recession hurting the movie industry. Also inflation. There's only so much money that can go around, especially for a family of four. Wait two or three months and the movie is available. Something has to be chopped and food is more important than entertainment.

Ya I paid 10 bucks to see guardians at 1030 in the morning. Thats nuts.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Do you ever buy the concession food? That I find outrageous, especially for a family of 4.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Do you ever buy the concession food? That I find outrageous, especially for a family of 4.

I go to a movie theater that actually is a brewery as well. They serve good food if you want. Its not set up like normal theaters. Its called Flix Brewhouse. Its amazing for a movie person. They serve real food ( if you want it) and beer of course. And the seating is great. I won't even go to a normal theater at this point. This is the future.

Astonishing Member

I go to a movie theater that actually is a brewery as well. They serve good food if you want. Its not set up like normal theaters. Its called Flix Brewhouse. Its amazing for a movie person. They serve real food ( if you want it) and beer of course. And the seating is great. I won't even go to a normal theater at this point. This is the future.
    But the future is not were I live. I have to visit a regular cinema. Tacos, Popcorn, Coke, Parking Lot all very expensive. A water cost 4 bucks. Ticket price for Gotg 3 was 15...

Spectacular Member

It's inevitable that some fatigue would set in after 15 -20 years. Also for the MCU there are probably too many characters and plotlines going on now for people to follow much like how continuity in main stream comics has restricted the number of new readers coming in there. There is also streaming. If you are already paying a monthly fee for Disney+ some people may not want to pay again at the movie theaters rather than waiting for the film to hit D+.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I would love to only pay $10 for a matinee.
    When I saw Ant-Man 3, Creed 3 and John Wick 4 all at matinee the Regal Cinemas charge $15

That is why things like Air(which I'm curious to see) or any comedy or horror film get relegated to "whenever a streamer I already pay for has it available at no extra cost".
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    When I saw Ant-Man 3, Creed 3 and John Wick 4 all at matinee the Regal Cinemas charge $15

That is why things like Air(which I'm curious to see) or any comedy or horror film get relegated to "whenever a streamer I already pay for has it available at no extra cost".
    If you have Amazon Prime you can watch Air for free Friday the 12th. This film only premiered in the theaters about a month ago. Amazon Prime I believe has the 2nd largest subscription base (over 200 million) so that's a lot of people with no incentive to see the film in theaters. D+ now has over 160 million which must cannibalize some of the revenue from Disney's theatrical release.

Would have to agree that audiences are tiring of superhero movies, at least marvel/dc ones outside of Spider-Man and Batman. GotG 3 was a great movie but audiences didn't really turn out in droves opening weekend. These movies just aren't the cultural phenomenon they were a few years ago and thus people are willing to wait a few months to watch them on D+. Probably need to dial down the budgets for these a bit to compensate and also just make fewer of them.

Of course it doesn't help that you had a great jumping off point in Endgame followed by a pandemic, but i also think Marvel made a number of poor decisions relating to phase 4 that hurt the mcu. DC otoh has been wildly inconsistent so its easy to understand why people are ok with not rushing out to see the movies.

Well, gotg 3 is the second highest opening this year, highest imax opening of the year and passed $300m ww so far in one week. That's not a bad start at all. Homecoming had a lower opening, didn't it? Films off to a good start in china also. These next few weeks will show how well it's going to do, however.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

How much do you have to pay for a matinee now?

Our amc matinee price is $8. $10 if you go to big d during 4 to 5:30pm. Showings are 30% off in those hours. Bowling or skating is higher.

Looks like gotg may have a softer drop this weekend.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend...r-mothers-day/