View Poll Results: Is Comic Book Movie Fatigue Happening?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I think Audiences Are Finally Getting Tired Of These Movies

55 44.72%
  • No - This has been wildly exaggerated

46 37.40%
  • Too Early To Say Either Way

22 17.89%
Page 15 of 74 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fridays View Post
    Still wating for that clip of a crossover between X-Men and even F4 that was owned by fox.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    This is a parody of wolverine. almost like aunt may saying peter was not superman in the first film.

I meant an actual crossover the x-men and fantastic 4 movie with major plot points that reoccurred through the series and both movies talking about events of their films.

Fox once thought of a crossover movie after Days of Future Past with the X-Men and F4 IPs for MCU proportions but it never came to be and thankfully it did not. that was the nearest fox ever got to a cinematic universe.

https://screenrant.com/fox-xmen-fant...celled-reason/

It never happened.

yes funny that becuase we also know disney left most of the comics alone as they were a smaller medium. disney has little say on the comics but they do with the movies. funny that in the comics of spiderman he is mostly treated as a grown up with adult issues similar to the sam raimi movies, however in the mcu he is basically a child.
    Because the current Spider-Man comics are continuing on decades of story. The MCU (and also the non-MCU Spider-Man movies) had him start off in school because that's where his story started. The MCU just kept him there longer than the others did.

funny also that the marvel comic universe has never been called an action comedy series as the MCU movies are
    You've called it that.

funny that Disney is only letting deadpool 3 be r rated and not blade
    Having an "R" rating isn't automatically indicative of quality. Just because the previous Blade films were R doesn't mean Blade can only be R. There are plenty of dark PG-13 movies out there.

People know The Batman movie is not part of the DCU nor has similarities to DCU movies.
    That doesn't mean they know who the director is. It just means they know it's not part of the DCEU. It doesn't take knowing the director to know that.

more people know matt reeves directed the batman film.
    Highly doubtful. Aside from a few Planet of the Apes movies and Cloverfield (none of which were highly marketed as "from _____ director) he had zero name value before The Batman. And The Batman wasn't successful enough for the general audience to suddenly make him a name director.

Joker is a more daring film than all the mcu films because the film styles and themes pushes the genre more than mcu can ever does.
    And, again, it has zero to do with the MCU. The Joker as a film isn't daring. Something can't be "more daring" than another if it wasn't daring to begin with.

Showing is evidence to back up opinions and facts.
    You should remember this for your own opinionated rants sometime.

it is fact that fox never had a cinematic crossover movie with other Marvel IPs or characters that never fell under the X-Men umbrella.
    And before Spider-Man the MCU never crossed over with any other Marvel IPs than what they already had rights to make. So it's the exact same thing.

Not really because Nolan's movies were highly artistically acclaimed g that made people see the genre beyond colors and toys. Nolan movies are less tiring compared to MCU
    That doesn't make them not part of a shared universe. Your personal opinions about the MCU doesn't suddenly change what a definition is. The only thing that sort of takes it out of that definition is that they are all done by the same director.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Look, my favorite live action comic book/superhero movies are The Dark Knight, Super, Kick-Ass, Deadpool, Joker, and the first Iron Man (still feel like the MCU's never topped that movie in quality, and now probably never will). I would love more movies of this style/bent/quality. But I've resigned myself long ago that while I love these movies, they're a blip in the genre. The extremely quippy action comedy (or sometimes quippy comedy action) of the MCU formula is what the GA wants most of all. While my favorite movies do usually wind up popular and all, outside of Iron Man none of them have directed the past decade+ of this genre. It just is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Highly doubtful. Aside from a few Planet of the Apes movies and Cloverfield (none of which were highly marketed as "from _____ director) he had zero name value before The Batman. And The Batman wasn't successful enough for the general audience to suddenly make him a name director.
    Um...the recent Planet of the Apes were hugely successful, and Cloverfield was an insanely epic event at the time. I wouldn't say he's some no name director at this point - no Spielberg sure, no Jordan Peele, but far from nameless.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Um...the recent Planet of the Apes were hugely successful, and Cloverfield was an insanely epic event at the time. I wouldn't say he's some no name director at this point - no Spielberg sure, no Jordan Peele, but far from nameless.
    I'm not saying he makes bad movies. I've liked all of those movies. But to say they were successful enough to where the general movie-going audience knows who he is or will see a movie just because he directed it is ignorant. You have to have a long history of either award winning films or pure garbage for the average moviegoer to know who a director is.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Besides the cancelled FF crossover due to Fan4Stick flopping. At the time of the Disney Buyout Fox had in various stages development more X-Men movies, Deadpool 3, New Mutants, Gambit, Multiple Man, Kitty Pryde, Alpha Flight, Exiles, & X-Force can we not pretend that the XCU wasn't it's own interconnected cinematic universe and a bunch of films independent of each other.

This is a parody of wolverine. almost like aunt may saying peter was not superman in the first film.

I meant an actual crossover the x-men and fantastic 4 movie with major plot points that reoccurred through the series and both movies talking about events of their films.

Fox once thought of a crossover movie after Days of Future Past with the X-Men and F4 IPs for MCU proportions but it never came to be and thankfully it did not. that was the nearest fox ever got to a cinematic universe.

https://screenrant.com/fox-xmen-fant...celled-reason/

It never happened.
    Sorry, that was meant as a reply to this person, before they moved the goalposts to encompass crossovers with the MCU.

XCU never existed, X-Men never had a cinematic universe, fox just made movies of the series and this franchise has been officially dead since 2017.
    The article you just quoted even lists X-Men: Days of Future Past as "their big crossover movie." Deadpool is undisputedly tied to the XCU given how many X-characters show up, not to mention he himself debuted in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. And that's ignoring that Wolverine solo films are themselves spun-out of the X-Men franchise. Not to mention all the other solo projects that were being considered (Magneto, Gambit, etc...). So while you personally may not acknowledge it, there is/was an XCU.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I will say Matt Reeves and Jordan Peele are on the same level been household names.

The director of Logan trusted Matt Reeves with Batman. There were some batman fans who wanted james mangold to direct a batman film and mangold told them batman was in safe hands with Matt Reeves.

https://lrmonline.com/news/logan-dir...h-matt-reeves/
    Logan Director Says The Batman Is In Good Hands With Matt Reeves

Ironically Mangold does not feel that way about Wolverine going to MCU and he was the first to hint of the MCU fatigue in the future.

The Batman has only raised his status. Its so off to me at this point for someone to question to Matt Reeves status just because he made a movie that made MCU look bad. I just can't anymore...lol.

What Matt Reeves did with Colin Farwell as Penguin in The Batman was impressive as a director. We need that kind of bold film direction with characters in the genre again. that is what I find exciting than the standard Ant Man green screen for 95% of the movie.
    Last edited by Fridays; 03-27-2023 at 09:13 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Sorry, that was meant as a reply to this person, before they moved the goalposts to encompass crossovers with the MCU.

The article you just quoted even lists X-Men: Days of Future Past as "their big crossover movie." Deadpool is undisputedly tied to the XCU given how many X-characters show up, not to mention he himself debuted in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. And that's ignoring that Wolverine solo films are themselves spun-out of the X-Men franchise. Not to mention all the other solo projects that were being considered (Magneto, Gambit, etc...). So while you personally may not acknowledge it, there is/was an XCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Besides the cancelled FF crossover due to Fan4Stick flopping. At the time of the Disney Buyout Fox had in various stages development more X-Men movies, Deadpool 3, New Mutants, Gambit, Multiple Man, Kitty Pryde, Alpha Flight, Exiles, & X-Force can we not pretend that the XCU wasn't it's own interconnected cinematic universe and a bunch of films independent of each other.
    I won't still call that an XCU equal to the MCU since all those characters are X-Men characters. mutants interacting with other mutants is not really a crossover but a continuity of a universe. when you have peter parker, reed richards, mary jane watson visiting the xmen mansion and going on mission with the xmen. then we can call that some kind of MCU XCU stuff.

I will call what Fox wanted a standard film series with spin offs. Not a cinematic universe like the MCU.

What is most important is that even if there was an XCU, it won't have been like the MCU. Fox always gave the directors and writers so much freedom that most of their movies which includes the good and bad were not as overly manufactured like the MCU and were loose canons.When a fox movie is bad, it is blamed on the director as it should. when an mcu movie is bad it is based on a studio system and the disney way of doing things. Fox was more like WB or Sony.

Incredible Member

Speaking of crossovers. Does anyone remember the Spider-Man scene in the extras of the first X-Men movie? Wolverine and Storm run into a room and they don’t realize Spider-Man is behind them until the crew starts laughing and then they turn around and Spidey says “I’m sorry. I’m in the wrong movie.”

It was pretty funny.

Incredible Member

it always buged me how people were so willing to forgive the bad cgi, weak screenplay, bland cinematography, puppet directing style of the MCU just because the film had Falcon show up in an Ant Man 2 or because Thor will name drop tony stark in his films. I always want wtf???

I grew up with the sam raimi films. Actually making a quality billion dollar comic film mattered. there was no crossover storylines to hide behind crappy film making.
    You’ve been holding onto that for a long time. I can only imagine how bad it will get once The X-Men show up in the MCU and become more popular than they were at Fox.

Interesting poll results - although this obviously isn't a representative or scientific poll

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    You’ve been holding onto that for a long time. I can only imagine how bad it will get once The X-Men show up in the MCU and become more popular than they were at Fox.
    At least they are starting to come out and say what they really mean; "The MCU cannot be in decline because I have a religious belief that it will last forever!"
    Last edited by Pinsir; 03-27-2023 at 12:55 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    At least they are starting to come out and say what they really mean; "The MCU cannot be in decline because I have religious belief that it will last forever!"
    That's literally the opposite of what people are saying...it's actually more indicative of the people saying comic book movies are in decline.

Let's put it another way: with how poorly received most of Warner's recent superhero films have been, why would they invent in more if the market were fading?
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 03-27-2023 at 04:25 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!