View Poll Results: Is Comic Book Movie Fatigue Happening?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I think Audiences Are Finally Getting Tired Of These Movies

55 44.72%
  • No - This has been wildly exaggerated

46 37.40%
  • Too Early To Say Either Way

22 17.89%
Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I posted an LA Times article elsewhere that said there are substantially less movies going to theaters and almost everything being released is a tentpole film. Even when smaller movies are given a theatrical release, they're made available on some streaming platform the following weekend.

Point is, if the box office rankings are all tent pole movies because that's all that's going to be released, then Black Panther ranking 4th is good, but doesn't tell you the full picture in that it made $500 million less than its predecessor, and that this is the first phase in which only one MCU film crossed $1 billion at the box office.
    And those "tenpole films" are also released to streaming a month or two at most after they hit theaters, making it less enticing for people to see them that way, hence them making less.

Again, it's an industry thing. The way people are consuming movies is changing.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Niffleheim

I don't believe that comic book fatigue is setting in but I believe that Marvel is making things that I'm not interested in. They're not connecting the world as they used to. I didn't watch a single MCU movie until I heard chatter about my favourite Marvel character Thanos being teased at the end of The Avengers and I've watched almost every movie in the mcu until the end of his saga. Now I'm just so selective in what I'm watching that sometimes even I entertain the idea of "comic book fatigue" when they're the ONLY movies that would get me to go to the cinemas (Yes I'm one of those ppl )
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

When the next Batman film bombs, then we'll talk.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    And those "tenpole films" are also released to streaming a month or two at most after they hit theaters, making it less enticing for people to see them that way, hence them making less.

Again, it's an industry thing. The way people are consuming movies is changing.
    Well, except Jurassic World 3, Top Gun 2, and Avatar 2 are clear examples that people will go to the theaters to see movies they're excited about or want to see, as the LA Times article pointed out.

It's obvious that consistently, less people are going to see MCU films at the theater.

Ultimate Member

No, there's no superhero movie fatigue.

At least we haven't really seen evidence of it yet. Every movie succeeds on its own merits.

Domestically, superhero movies dominated the box office last year. With Top Gun and Avatar 2 being the exceptions.
    Last edited by Username taken; 03-21-2023 at 10:47 AM.

Astonishing Member

Well, except Jurassic World 3, Top Gun 2, and Avatar 2 are clear examples that people will go to the theaters to see movies they're excited about or want to see, as the LA Times article pointed out.

It's obvious that consistently, less people are going to see MCU films at the theater.

Its not obvious. People are not going to see poorly reviewed super-hero movies at the box office. Just like they are not going to see poorly reviewed movies in general at the box office. Doctor strange made 300 million more than the first movie. Without a China release. No way home made god knows how much more than the 2nd movie. Even Thor 4 made more than Thor 3 domestically. Batman did very well in its reboot. You are cherry picking things like Black panther that didnt have Black Panther, and still did very well.

And as I pointed out, the outlier is not the rule. When 99% of movies are making less, the 1% making more doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

And less people seeing MCU movies in theaters doesn't mean less people are seeing MCU movies. It's means they aren't seeing them in theaters.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

There were 9 movies that made a billion dollars in 2019 there has been only 4 since.

No Way Home which united all 3 theatrical live action Spider-Men for the 1st time and possibly only time.

Jurassic World Dominion which was the end of a popular Trilogy and reunited the original cast of the 1st film for the 1st time in 29 years and it had a China Release.

Avatar The Way of Water sequel to one of the biggest films of all time and 13 years in the making and had a China Release.

Top Gun Maverick sequel to a huge hit from the 80's which brought back the original star who just happens to be one of the biggest movie stars of all time.

So, basically 2 were long awaited sequels to very popular films and 2 united characters we never thought we'd see on screen together again or at all. If the LA Times article doesn't acknowledge that than its a **** article.

Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and Eternals were released when Pandemic Protocols were still in place. Also, none had a China Releases and Black Widow had a same day release on Disney+ which it made 60 million from but cut into its box office.

Love and Thunder and Multiverse of Madness made huge amounts of money with MoM coming close to a billion both without China Releases. Wakanda Forever did 858 million and it's China release was late it was already on Disney+ when it hit China. Hell, the Batman only did 10 million more than Love and Thunder and guess what it made 11 million of its totals in China so you take China away and Love and Thunder actually would have made more.

Top film Worldwide of 2023 right now is Quantumania I doubt that will be true once Mario Bros or GOTG Vol. 3 comes out, but it is for now. in 2022 Multiverse of Madness was number 4, Wakanda Forever number 6, the Batman & Love and Thunder were 7 & 8.

We don't have many billion-dollar movies anymore since the Pandemic and the few we have had special audience pulls that I have mentioned. Fast 7 and 8 made over a billion dollars while 9 released in 2021 and got a China Release didn't come close to a billion. The fact that the MCU films have done as well as they have post pandemic is a testament to them not signs of a fatigue.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I saw both Ant-Man 3 and Shazam 2 at Regal cinemas.
    Shazam 2 in standard 2D for a 10:05 am matinee was $15usd. FIFTEEN DOLLARS!!!!
    The Evening price is $17.... a mere $2 price difference is insane. Matinee means nothing.....to Regal, maybe your cinema is different, unless it is AMC then its worse.

Movies are/have priced themselves out of regular admissions due to the per ticket price. Which to me is like Sports. I can watch it home every bit as good and not deal with public rudeness, drunkness and blanket discourteousness.

Some things are still premium that can't be mimicked at home as well or at all such as Concerts, Stand Up Comedy or Broadway style Theater.

I literally ONLY make theater appearances for superhero movies. Creed III was going to be my early outlier last Friday but my daughter got sick so my day off to do that became taking her to the doctor.
    John Wick 4 would be nice but sacrificed that one as well due to constraints of time and money.
    My only summer exception is going to be Indiana Jones(5): Dial of Destiny.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I saw both Ant-Man 3 and Shazam 2 at Regal cinemas.
    Shazam 2 in standard 2D for a 10:05 am matinee was $15usd. FIFTEEN DOLLARS!!!!
    The Evening price is $17.... a mere $2 price difference is insane. Matinee means nothing.....to Regal, maybe your cinema is different, unless it is AMC then its worse.

Movies are/have priced themselves out of regular admissions due to the per ticket price. Which to me is like Sports. I can watch it home every bit as good and not deal with public rudeness, drunkness and blanket discourteousness.

Some things are still premium that can't be mimicked at home as well or at all such as Concerts, Stand Up Comedy or Broadway style Theater.

I literally ONLY make theater appearances for superhero movies. Creed III was going to be my early outlier last Friday but my daughter got sick so my day off to do that became taking her to the doctor.
    John Wick 4 would be nice but sacrificed that one as well due to constraints of time and money.
    My only summer exception is going to be Indiana Jones(5): Dial of Destiny.
    This needs to be highlighted more imo. The ONLY reason I would pay and go to theatres now is the big budget tentpole movies. To take advantage of the technology, IMAX etc, and massive screens that make the cost and travel and dealing with people worth it.
    People complain about tentpole movies and superhero movies being all that are released now. I mean I am not paying that kinda money, gas, concessions, to see a drama, or decent comedy anymore. I can wait till its on a streaming service.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Almost half of the top ten highest grossing films of last year were superhero movies... so if you think superhero fatigue is a real thing then I have some wonderful beachfront property in Kansas, a mountain in Illinois and a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd love to sell to you.
    This.

There may be burnout. It may be that the characters people really want to see just are not Ant-Man or Shazam. As you said, last year, the top ten were all superhero movies and it's hardly as if there were only ten movies made last year.

In 2022, a total of 449 movies were released in the United States and Canada, up from 406 in the previous year.

Wow, that took ten seconds to look up, just like the top ten out of 449 were superhero movies.

Arguing that superhero movies are not still the most popular genre just does not stand up to facts.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 03-21-2023 at 12:06 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

You had 8 movies get over 300 million at the domestic box office last year. 4 of them were comic book movies. The others were about Jets, A blue alien world, A cartoon, and Dinosaurs. If comic book movies stopped releasing tomorrow the theaters would literally go out of business.

BANNED

Well OP you beat me to making this thread. Yes the comic book fatigue is setting in and honestly anyone who disagrees to me feels like they are in personal denial of the reality that is setting in. Hollywood hates comic book movie now more than they ever hated batman and robin.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

After growing up wishing there were more superhero films, now I would totally welcome "superhero fatigue" to end this reign of terror in Hollywood.

But it's too early to tell. A Batman film failing might convince me more that a real fatigue is happening.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Here is why bias always gets people into circular arguments. I just looked up the mission impossible franchise. These are the domestic numbers from each movie.

MI 1- 180 million
    MI 2- 215 million
    MI 3- 133 million
    MI 4- 209 million
    MI 5- 195 million
    MI 6- 220 million

Now you see growth and drops in these respective sequels. And you see it on the international side as well. No one claims the MI franchise has fatigue. None of them have ever made a billion dollars. But what happens is people tend to ignore these things and concentrate on a particular genre and react in ridiculous ways when one does ok or not well.