View Poll Results: Is Comic Book Movie Fatigue Happening?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I think Audiences Are Finally Getting Tired Of These Movies

55 44.72%
  • No - This has been wildly exaggerated

46 37.40%
  • Too Early To Say Either Way

22 17.89%
Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    But what happens is people tend to ignore these things and concentrate on a particular genre and react in ridiculous ways when one does ok or not well.
    I'm getting inisideguy fatigue, but you're making a great deal of sense that I don't want to read or accept.

This reminds of the debunk I always mention when friends or acquaintances mention the Bermuda Triangle...there is no triangle because many accidents/sinks/disappearances happen just outside of that triangle as well (in a highly trafficked sea and air area).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-21-2023 at 01:52 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I'm getting inisideguy fatigue, but you're making a great deal of sense that I don't want to read or accept.

This reminds of the debunk I always mention when friends or acquaintances mention the Bermuda Triangle...there is no triangle because many accidents/sinks/bad things happen just outside of that triangle as well (in a highly trafficked sea and air area).

LOL. I get it. I dont blame ya.

This talking point that because superhero movies were some of the largest films last year so that means it isn't in decline is pure copium. If you go to Diamond and look what comics publisher sold the most last month, I, presume, its going to be Marvel. Now if you do go back every month for thirty years, Marvel is probably going to win 99% of those months. So that means Marvel comics haven't declined, right? Well, you should all know that comics sold much more during the 90's than the current year, a major decline in comic sales has happened, even if Marvel still sold the most every month.

The reason why super heroes movies still do well despite losing their shrinking box office is because a lot other studios are screwed too, particularly the Disney owned ones. Star Wars, Pixar, Disney Studios all produced nothing or flops last year (20th century did Avatar).
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This talking point that because superhero movies were some of the largest films last year so that means it isn't in decline is pure copium. If you go to Diamond and look what comics publisher sold the most last month, I, presume, its going to be Marvel. Now if you do go back every month for thirty years, Marvel is probably going to win 99% of those months. So that means Marvel comics haven't declined, right? Well, you should all know that comics sold much more during the 90's than the current year, a major decline in comic sales has happened, even if Marvel still sold the most every month.

The reason why super heroes movies still do well despite losing their shrinking box office is because a lot other studios are screwed too, particularly the Disney owned ones. Star Wars, Pixar, Disney Studios all produced nothing or flops last year (20th century did Avatar).
    ...except that isn't true at all and it's easy to see that you are mistaken about the box office shrinking. For those who don't want to click the link, box office mojo has the domestic box office numbers going all the way back to 1977 and guess what? It's growth just about every year until we get to 2020 when the entire industry from production to screening completely shut down. Since then though recovery of the industry has continued with 2021 nearly doubling 2020's revenue and 2022 nearly doubling 2021's and with the sheer number of big movies coming out this year if you don't think the industry will increase again then you're being silly.

And before anyone goes,"bUt wHaT AbOuT iFlAtIoN?" even given the difference in value in currency between 1977 and today 1977's box office is still well below last year's box office.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 03-21-2023 at 02:25 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Disney owns 20th century. Every bit of that money Avatar made is to Disney. Star Wars has done well on TV. What have other studios produced that have done well? Disney had 4 of the top 10 movies last year. Paramount had 2 and Universal had 3. WB had 1. Looking at the numbers I dont see anything blowing anyone away. Its not like WB is ripping it up. Or Sony.

Just looks like a bunch of middling films. Like I said only 8 films all year made 300 million domestic. That being said that's a heck of a lot better then the year before when only 1 film did that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    After growing up wishing there were more superhero films, now I would totally welcome "superhero fatigue" to end this reign of terror in Hollywood.

But it's too early to tell. A Batman film failing might convince me more that a real fatigue is happening.
    Batman is an exception. the character has already enjoyed success before the MCU and DCU cinematic universe. Batman will always be fine. additionally WB is taking him in a different direction where we can't just lump him in the ant man 3 and the shazam 2 worlds.

The Marvels I fear will be the film that hit the nail on the fatigue in 2023. I just feel that movie is going to be very very very very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...except that isn't true at all and it's easy to see that you are mistaken about the box office shrinking. For those who don't want to click the link, box office mojo has the domestic box office numbers going all the way back to 1977 and guess what? It's growth just about every year until we get to 2020 when the entire industry from production to screening completely shut down. Since then though recovery of the industry has continued with 2021 nearly doubling 2020's revenue and 2022 nearly doubling 2021's and with the sheer number of big movies coming out this year if you don't think the industry will increase again then you're being silly.

And before anyone goes,"bUt wHaT AbOuT iFlAtIoN?" even given the difference in value in currency between 1977 and today 1977's box office is still well below last year's box office.
    2019 Total Box Office: $11,363,360,889
    2022 Total Box Office: $7,369,357,270

Uh, how has there not been a decline? You have to go back 1999 to get a year as bad as 2022 (outside 2020 and 2021 of course)...and that is unadjusted for inflation

Astonishing Member

Uh, how has there not been a decline? You have to go back 1999 to get a year as bad as 2022 (outside 2020 and 2021 of course)...and that is unadjusted for inflation
    I think you might want to read his statement again. He just said it was growing every year until the pandemic and now its in recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I think you might want to read his statement again. He just said it was growing every year until the pandemic and now its in recovery.
    I guess, but...that doesn't have anything to do with my point. I said last year was not a good year for the box office and for a lot of franchises and studios broadly. The fact that the MCU weathered the storm better than the others, doesn't mean it wasn't battered.

Astonishing Member

I guess, but...that doesn't have anything to do with my point. I said last year was not a good year for the box office and for a lot of franchises and studios broadly. The fact that the MCU weathered the storm better than the others, doesn't mean it wasn't battered.
    It was a better year than the year before and lets hope this year is better than last. Which looking at the releases it probably will be.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

...Are you being willfully obtuse? Movies take two years on average to make...2020 had nearly zero production time which meant that in 2022 there were 30% fewer films available to screen. Guess what fewer films screening equals?
    Less box office.
    As we put the covid lock down further in our rearview mirror it means less of a gap in production and there are a ton of films slated to hit the screen this year so if you think we're going to see less than last year...
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-21-2023 at 03:16 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Man...

Might be time for a quick round of "Meanwhile, Out In Actual Reality..."

This second "Shazam..." film is supposedly a serious face plant that points to folks turning on comic book films as a whole.

If the film that is supposedly the serious face plant makes around the same thing in it's opening weekend that the latest "Magic Mike..." film make in it's first two weeks?

Might be time to take the blinders off, and get real with yourself for a minute.

Long story short...

Here is the quick version of why your math is way goofy there...

- 2019 is roughly "What Our Home Construction Business Made Before Two Years Of Crazy Tornadoes And Flooding..."
    - 2022 is roughly "What Our Home Construction Business Made Now That Folks Are Not As Scared Of Buying A Home After A Couple Of Years Of Floods And Tornadoes..."

The idea that the earlier number would not be better than the latter number for a very logical reason that everyone can easily understand does not make much sense.

Extraordinary Member

Spider-Man No Way Home made $1.9 billion and is a top 10 all time grossing film. Doctor Strange 2 made almost 300 million more than it's predecessor. Thor Ragnorak was the second highest grossing of the 4 Thor films. Black Panther 2 without the franchise lead made $850 million. The only flop or dissapointment of the last 5 MCU films was Ant Man 3 which was largely panned.

Basically we are seeing that the MCU cannot withstand poorly received films and still make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...Are you being willfully obtuse? Movies take two years on average to make...2020 had nearly zero production time which meant that in 2022 there were 30% fewer films available to screen. Guess what fewer films screening equals?
    Less box office.
    As we put the covid lock down further in our rearview mirror it means less of a gap in production and there are a ton of films slated to hit the screen this year so if you think we're going to see less than last year...
    Okay, when I say decline, I mean the market is smaller now than it was in 2019 when the MCU was at its peak. I don't mean yearly growth, I'm talking about comparing two fixed points in time. I fully expect 2023 to see greater growth in the box office, because there are a lot of films I want to see.

I'm gonna lay it on flat homie; If superhero movies took in 10 out of 10 of the top grossing films this year, but all those films were sequels that made less money than their predecessors, I would still say they are in decline. The fact that any other movie genres failed to breech the top 10 doesn't matter. If you run a race against a bunch of kids as a young adult, you're probably going to win, but that achievement doesn't mean you're world class athlete.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 03-21-2023 at 04:18 PM.