View Poll Results: Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello / What is your verdict?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-Stars His work is the best compared to others in DC right now

29 50.88%
  • 4-Stars His work is above average compared to others in DC right now

15 26.32%
  • 3-Stars His work is average compared to others in DC right now

3 5.26%
  • 2-Stars His work is below average compared to others in DC right now

6 10.53%
  • 1-Star His work is poor compared to others in DC right now

4 7.02%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    They certainly haven't been made any friendlier to new readers, and Azzarello's WW is one of the least friendly of them all; if you didn't start with #1 I doubt a single random issue would be intelligible.
    Well, what reasonable reason could any new reader have for not starting with #1 in the first place?

Forgetting that every issue is potentially someone's first is an editorial problem, though.
    It's not anybody's problem. It's not a problem period. Any (extremely very) hypothetical new reader who picks up a random issue and likes the style enough to want to know more can pick up the first trade, hop over to Wikipedia, or even use less legal methods to get caught up. This is not the 1970's anymore, and once more writing comics like it still is is going to turn of the vast majority of what remains of the existing audience.
    Last edited by Carabas; 05-08-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Well, what reasonable reason could any new reader have for not starting with #1 in the first place?

Perhaps this person likes to read print comics and either cannot find a copy of issue #1 or simply cannot afford to purchase it as a back issue from the vendors in their area.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Trades, including second hand ones are plentyful and not expensive at all. It can be had on Amazon for $8. Six issues for the price of two.

A person who can't afford that really has no business even looking at 21st century superhero comics with their ever-increasing cover prices and never-ending events and crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I don't think Superman improved at all, or jason todd or roy harper. they are easily obfuscate.

seing sites, comments, no doubt WW azz is the highlight of the reboot.
    Superman's right up there with Wonder Woman and Aquaman. The guy didn't even have a concrete, agreed upon origin prior to Flashpoint. It was completely ridiculous. Now he has a solid, one-stop origin, and a pretty damned good one at that thanks to Grant Morrison. And the boyscout persona had to go. It was totally outdated and a turn off to too many readers; the time came around again for the rougher crusader more to his roots.

Roy Harper is better just because Cry For Justice and its fallout never happened. Pretty much end of story for me. And Jason Todd is much better now as a renegade anti-hero than he was as a near-insane villain. It also doesn't hurt that the Superboy-punch reason for his resurrection is completely gone.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-08-2014 at 11:39 AM.

"To put it mildly, I don't care for this run."

"Azzarello's oblique, frustrating and slow writing style and his contempt for the lore and her actual villains shove this run to the bottom of the barrel."

"I can see why other people would like it, but it's not for me."

These quotes sum up my opinion quite nicely, with the addition that the changes he made to Diana's origin and sisters were perverse, unnecessary, and came across to me as WICKED misogynistic... That said, I've dropped the book which I've only ever done one other time in 30 years, and I'm waiting and praying for a MUCH better writer someday soon.

BANNED

I think time will show that Azzarello's run will be very respected. It has gotten steady critical acclaim and has made many people interested in Wonder Woman again. She has revitalized pantheon of super-powered supporting characters, and a clear focus that's both modern and mythical.

All that's left is to build up the Amazons and her civilian cast. Then, she will have a complete and rich world that addresses all aspects of her character: divine, amazon, humanitarian, superhero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Superman's right up there with Wonder Woman and Aquaman. The guy didn't even have a concrete, agreed upon origin prior to Flashpoint. It was completely ridiculous. Now he has a solid, one-stop origin, and a pretty damned good one at that thanks to Grant Morrison. And the boyscout persona had to go. It was totally outdated and a turn off to too many readers; the time came around again for the rougher crusader more to his roots.

Roy Harper is better just because Cry For Justice and its fallout never happened. Pretty much end of story for me. And Jason Todd is much better now as a renegade anti-hero than he was as a near-insane villain. It also doesn't hurt that the Superboy-punch reason for his resurrection is completely gone.
    Superman origin is that he was put in a rocket from other planet and send to Earth where he got his powers from the sun. Batman his parents were murdered and now he seeks justice. WW came to Themyscira to man's world to save it. Anything out of it it's a plus, Azz did a good job starting with action instead of zero years, origins. Morrison action was good, but nothing that impressive specially comparing with his epic Batman 6 year run. There was zero development of his support cast and relationships. the difference between Superman and Batman are abysmal, specially after reading batman eternal #5.

for me roy harper and Todd continues to be renegades sidekicks that I keep giving a damn because they keep being irrelevant. Todd already had a very cool role on Batman Inc.

Couldn't possibly disagree more that anything outside those very general ideas is just a bonus. Its the details that bring a mythos to life. This is one of the reasons why I can't wait for Wonder Woman in Secret Origins. For as much as I have enjoyed Azz's reboot I want to know more about her early days.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-08-2014 at 06:39 PM.

BANNED

I think stories look better moving forward, it was what azzarello did.

It is a big loss Superman lost his boy scout persona, Marvel is cashing very well with Captain america

Captain America is a terrible example. He is the fish out of water character, a man stuck way after his own time. He should be naïve about his surroundings and should represent that older, seemingly more innocent day. That is not Superman. He's supposed to be The Man of Tomorrow, a being before his time. That's not to say he shouldn't be a purely good guy, he is and he should be portrayed that way. But a boyscout isn't the only way to portray that, and is in fact a wrong-headed approach to Superman, that unfortunately DC seemed to insist on for far too long. Its not a loss for the character at all, its a return to a better understanding of him over anything.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-08-2014 at 07:42 PM.

BANNED

Well Marvel made it work and isn't ashamed of who Cap is.

one of the things that made me stop reading NuBatgirl was the constant look at her past, that got boring and tiresome.
    Also read Jessica Jones origins, most boring part of the Alias.

Its not about being ashamed of who anyone is. That's who Cap is. That's not who Superman is. Its who DC made him for quite some time, but it was wrong.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Well Marvel made it work and isn't ashamed of who Cap is.
    One of the things that makes the Azzarello run so hard to take is the sense that it represents a judgment that the character I've followed for more than thirty years was something they found an embarrassment.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    One of the things that makes the Azzarello run so hard to take is the sense that it represents a judgment that the character I've followed for more than thirty years was something they found an embarrassment.
    DC definately is ashamed of the amazons. I think Azzarello honored the WW principles, he definately is not ashamed of who WW is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its not about being ashamed of who anyone is. That's who Cap is. That's not who Superman is. Its who DC made him for quite some time, but it was wrong.
    wrong, if you think this way fine. But story shows a different thing
    Last edited by Blacksun; 05-08-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

DC definately is ashamed of the amazons. I think Azzarello honored the WW principles, he definately is not ashamed of who WW is.

wrong, if you think this way fine. But story shows a different thing

They why didn't he use Wonder Woman's better known supporting cast and her rogues gallery?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.