View Poll Results: Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello / What is your verdict?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-Stars His work is the best compared to others in DC right now

29 50.88%
  • 4-Stars His work is above average compared to others in DC right now

15 26.32%
  • 3-Stars His work is average compared to others in DC right now

3 5.26%
  • 2-Stars His work is below average compared to others in DC right now

6 10.53%
  • 1-Star His work is poor compared to others in DC right now

4 7.02%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Nevermind. Nothing inflammatory but woefully off-topic. Sorry all!
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-09-2014 at 05:01 AM. Reason: off-topic

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    They why didn't he use Wonder Woman's better known supporting cast and her rogues gallery?
    It can be argued that after the way the franchise has been handled for multiple decades, that there is no longer such a thing as a better known supporting cast or a rogue's gallery beyond Circe and Cheetah.

I give it 5 stars just because Azz is telling his story, not what editorial wants. It's incredibly good, too.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It can be argued that after the way the franchise has been handled for multiple decades, that there is no longer such a thing as a better known supporting cast or a rogue's gallery beyond Circe and Cheetah.

Yet, Steve Trevor has appeared in both the Wonder Woman animated movie and Justice League War. Cheetah was in also in the Wonder Woman movie and Justice League Doom and appeared in every run of Wonder Woman's since Perez with the exceptions of Luke's and Simonson's. Giganta and Donna Troy appeared in virtually every run of Wonder Woman since Heinberg and several even before that. Artemis was in the movie and has appeared in several Wonder Woman runs in the last decade as well. The disconnect wasn't severe for these characters until Azz took over the book. In fact, in every other book that Steve has appeared in frequently, his connection to Wonder Woman is always shown or at the very least, heavily mentioned. If these characters aren't better known for being connected to Wonder Woman, why have they appeared so often with her over the last decade? I really don't understand where you're coming from with "there is no longer such a thing as a better known supporting cast or a rogue's gallery."
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 05-09-2014 at 07:06 AM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Well, for starters, I don't really consider anything that is not on a printed page to count towards what goes in comics. And I don't really consider anything that's not a comic to matter in a discussion that is entirely about the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Yet, Steve Trevor has appeared in both the Wonder Woman animated movie and Justice League War. Cheetah was in also in the Wonder Woman movie and Justice League Doom and appeared in every run of Wonder Woman's since Perez with the exceptions of Luke's and Simonson's. Giganta and Donna Troy appeared in virtually every run of Wonder Woman since Heinberg and several even before that. Artemis was in the movie and has appeared in several Wonder Woman runs in the last decade as well. The disconnect wasn't severe for these characters until Azz took over the book. In fact, in every other book that Steve has appeared in frequently, his connection to Wonder Woman is always shown or at the very least, heavily mentioned. If these characters aren't better known for being connected to Wonder Woman, why have they appeared so often with her over the last decade? I really don't understand where you're coming from with "there is no longer such a thing as a better known supporting cast or a rogue's gallery."
    The majority of readers in the comics industry does not know or care about all these characters. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Well, for starters, I don't really consider anything that is not on a printed page to count towards what goes in comics. And I don't really consider anything that's not a comic to matter in a discussion that is entirely about the comics.

Ok then, even if we put the other media appearances of these characters off to the side, what about all of the other runs and comics these characters have appeared in during the last decade? Steve was in previous runs of Wonder Woman, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Justice League of America, and A.R.G.U.S. Cheetah has been in Wonder Woman, Justice League, Suicide Squad, and A.R.G.U.S. Giganta in Wonder Woman, Secret Six, Forever Evil, and Pandora. Donna Troy was in Wonder Woman, Titans, and Justice League of America. These aren't throw away characters that go 5 or more years without even seeing a cameo appearance.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    The majority of readers in the comics industry does not know or care about all these characters. Simple as that.

The same could be said about the current supporting cast and antagonists currently appearing in Wonder Woman so I don't really see your point here. How many people who aren't reading Azzarello's Wonder Woman are familiar with Aleka, Strife, Milan, Sirracca, Cassandra, or the First Born? Probably much less than those who are familiar with Donna Troy, Steve Trevor, Cheetah, and Giganta.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    And people who know of Apollo, Artemis, and Hermes do not know them as, and may prefer not to see them as, supervillains. Choosing these gods to be Diana's chief antagonists is a sour note, even if they were being kitted out properly to play that role.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

psm0110

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    And people who know of Apollo, Artemis, and Hermes do not know them as, and may prefer not to see them as, supervillains. Choosing these gods to be Diana's chief antagonists is a sour note, even if they were being kitted out properly to play that role.
    I don't think you can say they are cast as supervillians. The gods are acting as the gods always have - out of their own interests and relationships. They bicker and fight and change sides eternally. If anything, the slowness of the plot and the continuity of the story are the only thing keeping me on-board with the new 52 WW. I was never a fan of WW before, but the style & long story form got me this time. The purpose of a reboot is to change things up, and I think quite a bit of Diana was tied up in Cold War militaristic mentality, at least from my previous perceptions. Lastly, I'd add that the trade books are very very popular and long-form stories add to their appeal. It's been nice subscribing to a book that doesn't tie-in with half a dozen others (the reason I dropped the Justice League).

I was pretty thankful for the new 52 reboot honestly. My son had just started into comics and I was only coming back to them again after 25 years. However, that said, Aquaman and Wonder Women are the only two I read on a regular basis (well, and now Moon Knight). First post: don't shoot.

Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman run has been my favorite comic for the past three years.
    I think he is one of there top writers (not the best) but still up there enough for me to pass over on voting.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Do you guys really think that characters like Zola/Zeke, First Born, etc have potential to last beyond this arc?
    Last edited by Amazon Swordsman; 05-09-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Do you guys really think that characters like Zola/Zeke, First Born, etc have potential to last beyond this arc?

I think the First Born will survive this run. The character being used again is a whole different story though. Just look at Devastation and Genocide. Both have been stuck in limbo for several years now.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I would not mind seeing Zola stick around; she makes a reasonable substitute for Etta Candy. Wonder Woman having to babysit a superpowered baby from time to time has potential for fun stories, if DC still did fun.

The First Born is another Doomsday clone and will disappear along with Genocide and Devastation and the host of similar inventions we've seen come and go.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

BANNED

I don't know. I also can't fathom why that would be important once this story ends. It's like a James Bond fan expecting Dr. No and Honey Rider to remain relevant characters in current continuity throughout the decades.