Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Storm & The Brotherhood of Mutants #2 - Review/Spoilers

Just Phenomenal.

We open with a data page which catches us up on the galactic war. The Red Diamond Empire is battling the Interstellar Compact led by Orbis Stellaris. Storm and her Brotherhood battle against both factions to free the peoples of the galaxy. Mystique and her insurgent cell Freedom Force during a doomed mission are able to transmit to the Brotherhood the location and schematics of the Compact's most lethal weapon - a mobile command post the size of a solar system - before Raven and team perish.

100 years since the Sinister takeover. We're at a Storm space station out in deep space with her insignia on it. Noh-Varr is running it and he allows an unknown ship to approach. The visitor guesses the required passwords to enter correctly, even passwords that haven't been generated yet. They let her onboard realizing it is Destiny. She briefly interacts with Khora, Ironfire, and Cable (who is now going by X-Man). It's a catty exchange all around. Destiny asks Nathan if he's too worm-ridden now to give a damn about his own daughter's death. He replies that his body is more history than humanity now and that there's a dead loved one on every page, that they will all be avenged. Destiny removes her mask and angrily asks "where is my vengeance? what about Mystique?"

We get the preview pages of a flashback of Destiny trying to convince Mystique not to leave but Raven wants to fight back against the Empire. Raven says she doesn't want to spend the rest of her life as Destiny's keepsake in a vault. She and her team die while fighting. Back to the present, Destiny sheds a tear and puts her mask back on. Commander Storm, flanked by Ironfire and Ganna, enters. "It's been a long time, Irene. How's that bunker of yours?" They go back and forth with Old Woman Storm effortlessly dragging her. Destiny admits that she lied to Ororo 90 years ago to simply protect Mystique but now that she is dead, it's time to "end this phase of the game. Ororo. It's time to kill Moira for real."

The Brotherhood mothership and three X-Fighter ships are warping through space following the coordinates Mystique provided. X-Man is in X-Fighter Gold, Shockjock (Ganna) in X-Fighter Blue, and Ironfire in X-Fighter Red. Commander Accuser, Storm, Khora, and Destiny are on the mothership. Accuser tells them they'll be dropping out of warp speed in three, two, one...

This is the Death Sphere, a giant version of Orbis' ball that allows his base of operations - the system-sized computer known as The World Farm - to travel anywhere in the galaxy. The enslaved denizens within, the Progenitors, are devoting all their processing power to dominion.

Inside, a Skrull alerts Orbis that they are under attack. Orbis assumes it's the Red Diamonds but is surprised that it's just the Brothership and a few fighters. He's surprised they're attacking him directly with such a small attack force. He deploys standard fighter craft to counter them, deciding not to use the Progenitors. Soccer ball looking ships spill out of a hatch and Shockjock notes that they are immediately outnumbered 100 to 1, at least. But back on the Brothership Storm has a plan.

She has Khora boost Destiny's powers and X-Man will read her mind and broadcast what she sees to the other fighters. Destiny is unsure, saying they may just be broadcasting their inevitable deaths and admits that she can only game the future so far as Raven's death attests. Destiny says she sees a pitched battle but that her "vision, Xilo's processing power and Nathan's strategic sense create an unbeatable combination." She then sees Storm giving the order to destroy the artificial sun at the heart of the sphere and the Moira lab. Then, "a moment's euphoria in victory... and then darkness. No more to see. The end of the universe." Khora and Storm look at each other as Destiny says, "The future is set. We will win."

They execute the plan as X-Man sends out the broadcast. He tells Ironfire to trust his instincts and to obey them without conscious thought. Jon Ironfire is like "obeying without conscious thought is another day at the office for me." Faith. Suddenly Mother Righteous appears sitting on Jon's dashboard. She tells him that she's only a daydream, his mind wandering so he can do the reflex thing better - at least that's what she'll make him remember. She says she's in his head to watch the show and how it's all shaping up to prove her right in all sorts of ways. She asks Jon if he would like to share any regrets. "Anything you'd do differently if you could?" He says he made a mistake during the Genesis War, took a life that still haunts him. His current faith is a penance because he didn't have faith back then. He didn't trust the Storm back then. But he says as long as Ororo is with them, leading them, there's nothing they can do.

Despite the terrible odds Storm's crew, thanks to Nathan's broadcast and Destiny's vision, is kicking the asses of Orbis' defenses. Orbis realizes they must have Destiny with them so he tries to think ahead to figure out her next move. The hatch! He orders the Skrull to close the hatch which is still sending out soccer ball ships. Just before they can close it the Brothership and X-Fighters get inside, the hatch closes, and Orbis' defenses are outside. Absolutely brilliant. Noh-Varr locks a Black Hole Torpedo onto the center-sun of the World Farm system. He tells Storm to say the word and he'll fire it, all of them dying together. Storm says, "Do it."

But her order was not for Noh-Varr as Khora cleaves Destiny's head in half from behind! She was right when she saw darkness and the end of the universe. The end of her own. Storm tells Noh to disable the torpedo and he's confused, asking why they're not blowing up the Moiras. He says this reality is hell and Storm says it's a hell that still supports life and thus supports hope. That one dead planet does not justify a murdered universe. She says they must defuse the Moira Lab, not destroy it. Guard it with their lives. X-Man wants to know how they plan to achieve that when they just lost Destiny, their window to the enemy's tactics. As soon as they get the hatch back open and the soccer balls return, they'll be fish in a barrel.

The wormhole created by Storm's incredible spell sucks the whole system into it. Noh-Varr is shocked, asking if this was the plan all along. Jon Ironfire is giddy as he says they're saving the whole damned universe and getting away without a scratch. "How could it not be, oh ye of little faith? Trust the Storm - the get ready to ride the lightning!" Orbis is beside himself as his Progenitors and his World Farm disappear. "A controlled wormhole just ate them all. And to add insult to injury, my life's work was destroyed by a BLASTED MAGIC SPELL!" He orders the computer to switch off life support.

The Brotherhood emerge from the wormhole and they're at the far edges of the universe. X-Man says no one will be able to find them way out there. Shockjock asks about the Progenitors and X-Man says that's her job, that an electromagnetic pulse in the right place should wipe their current orders and they'll be happy just to be maintaining their artificial planets within the system. He says with a little time and effort this new home could be a fortress, Fort Arakko, a new home for their scattered people. Ironfire says it all sounds good to him as long as the Goddess approves. He asks Khora if Storm is patched in with them...
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

She sacrificed herself to save her people, took possession of an entire star system and relocated it with a controlled wormhole spell! My heart is broken yet swelling at the same time. This is the Goddess and she died on her terms.
    The Storm System is born.

BEST ISSUE OF THIS ENTIRE EVENT! I cant even imagine topping this but its Ewing and he works magic so we will be in for it next issue. Like everything was insane Ororo really is the greatest x charachter when written well, bar none only competition is magneto in that regard.

Destiny also went out like a boss, yes she deserved it but it still was sad and poetic.
    Ororo Munroe is Twilight Sparkle in xmen red if that makes sense.

What a mind-blowing issue. The wormhole creation was one of the best moments I've ever read. Jon's excitement against Khora's sobbing was heart-wrenching and I'm so glad Ororo went out on HER TERMS. Ewing is incredible and I'm reminded again of this part of his interview last month:

After reading Stephanie Williams's backup story in Scarlet Witch #2 and learning about the Sisterhood as well as her connection to Agamotto via Ayesha, I wonder, do you have plans to explore Storm's magical heritage, post-Sins of Sinister?"

Ewing: Yes, soon, and then, yes, later.

We're just getting started, fam.

Confirmed: Ewing can make ANY event work. Not that I’ve disliked SoS, but it’s had some meh moments and Al is always pulling out the stops.

My favorite moments:
    1. Destiny getting murked. She annoyed the hell out of me at the beginning acting like everyone else had to feel bad for her now that Mystique’s dead, and it was time for her to hush.
    2. The Red, Blue, and Gold ships. Something about Ewing’s ability to reference all parts of X-history (even the not so great parts) always gets me.
    3. Teases of the Genesis War. Ewing really a master by getting us involved in this timeline but also dropping hints of what he got waiting for us when we get back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    4. Of course the magical Storm moment. I REALLY hope Ororo remembers SoS when it’s done so that she can not only hold the QC accountable, but also so she can start doing magic in the present day.

Lastly, I saw someone theorize that we might see a clash of three religions by the end of this between the worshippers of Storm, the Cult of Hope/ Exodus, and MR’ messed up version of the Spark.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 03-22-2023 at 06:28 AM.

Arguably the best Storm issue OF ALL TIME. Ewing does not miss.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Best Book out of the Whole Event. Fight Me.

I have no Words. Other than 10/10.

Destiny Gurl, I understand where she's coming from, but i think she just went about it wrong. Gana I like to see more about here. Jon Ironfire I LOVE HIM.

And Of Course Storm. I LOVE IT. See people be sleeping on Storm and i'm glad Ewing is writing her. Now, I don't wanna here NO MORE Complaints about how Ewing isn't doing any Feats for Storm. Shut that Shit Down.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Arguably the best Storm issue OF ALL TIME. Ewing does not miss.
    Agreed. It was above and beyond.

This look.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    What a mind-blowing issue. The wormhole creation was one of the best moments I've ever read. Jon's excitement against Khora's sobbing was heart-wrenching and I'm so glad Ororo went out on HER TERMS. Ewing is incredible and I'm reminded again of this part of his interview last month:

After reading Stephanie Williams's backup story in Scarlet Witch #2 and learning about the Sisterhood as well as her connection to Agamotto via Ayesha, I wonder, do you have plans to explore Storm's magical heritage, post-Sins of Sinister?"

Like I dodnt think the very next issue. Oh he had plans! And I feel it will come to play when genesis arrives. But this book wow... I am speechless. Too good too good.

Babes, if this issue made my morning then you’ve made my day. As long as they got Ewing, Imma stick beside the X-Office, Fall or not. The minute that man gone, my coin finna follow.

She sacrificed herself to save her people, took possession of an entire star system and relocated it with a controlled wormhole spell! My heart is broken yet swelling at the same time. This is the Goddess and she died on her terms.
    The Storm System is born.
    She saved worlds many many worlds and saved cosmic level beings from slavery. And the fact that she said games this universe is hell bit until every living thing dies she will never give up. That is Ororo, That is Storm!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Babes, if this issue made my morning then you’ve made my day. As long as they got Ewing, Imma stick beside the X-Office, Fall or not. The minute that man gone, my coin finna follow.
    Hear, hear! Ewing is swinging for the stars and this is some incredible momentum he has going.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean Sun View Post
    She saved worlds many many worlds and saved cosmic level beings from slavery. And the fact that she said games this universe is hell bit until every living thing dies she will never give up. That is Ororo, That is Storm!
    It really is so in-character and really resonates with her decision to fight for her life in her Giant-Size issue. At the time that came out folks (both in-story and IRL) were clowning her because she easily could have gone with the rez protocols, and now we see that would have landed her nowhere.

This issue was all kinds of things. 1. Destiny we dont care about your heartbreak and Mystique right now after ya'lls b.s. 2. I want to see what Cable/X-Man has in store for avenging Hope. 3. Listening to Ironfire, now I'm curious about the Genesis war and why he didn't have faith in Storm and whose life he took
    4. Ororo freaking Munroe. That wormhole. Calling on her ancestors and sacrificing herself to save the universe. Going out on her own terms and looking damn good doing it. There were so many emotions reading that. I was crying right there with Khora.

1000/10 for this issue.
    "I AM A GODDESS OF LIFE AS WELL AS OF STORMS. IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO SAVE YOU -- I SHALL." - ORORO MUNROE

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    It really is so in-character and really resonates with her decision to fight for her life in her Giant-Size issue. At the time that came out folks (both in-story and IRL) were clowning her because she easily could have gone with the rez protocols, and now we see that would have landed her nowhere.

Exactly. I love the protocols and I'm glad to have them but Storm's reasoning makes sense for her. Ewing has been so respectful of her character, philosophy, powers, lineage, regality, all of that. Frame this! Claremont must be proud.