Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Marvel Announces new What If comic. What If? Dark. Spider-Gwen

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/ma...es-dark-twist/

Some of Marvel's most classic storylines will be revisited, albeit with a darker twist, in a new volume of What If...?. What If is an out-of-continuity series of stories that typically offer new perspectives and takes on events that readers are familiar with. Marvel Studios even produced a What If...? animated series for Disney+, with Season 2 highly anticipated. Marvel Comics is going back to the What If well once again, and is kicking things off with the classic story of Gwen Stacy's death in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man.
    WHAT IF...? DARK: SPIDER-GWEN #1
    Written by GERRY CONWAY & JODY HOUSER
    Art by RAMON BACHS
    Cover by GREG LAND
    Spider-Legend Gerry Conway returns to his most famous Spider-Story for this WHAT IF along with co-writer Jody Houser!
    WHAT IF Gwen Stacy didn't die on the bridge that day, but Spider-Man DID?!
    'Nuff said, I presume!
    (Comicbook.com seems to incorrectly list Gerry Duggan as one of the writers at one point, but it is Gerry Conway.)

Wonder how she will get spider powers but I will give it a read
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Oh ho, a dark twist on What If? Truly, a departure for a series that typically features scads of recognizable characters getting killed off by the end of any given issue.

But seriously, this looks enjoyable. I like Houser, Conway, and Bachs.

So basically Marvel doing the Dark Multiverse DC did.

It's kind of funny to see Conway writing a Spider-Gwen story. Albeit one where it's actually 616 Gwen who gets powers and then goes evil. Funny how that happens.

Whoa, Conway!?

You gotta respect the guy riffing on his story 50 years after. Reminds me of a Stan Lee X-Men comic from ~2012-2013

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So basically Marvel doing the Dark Multiverse DC did.

It's kind of funny to see Conway writing a Spider-Gwen story. Albeit one where it's actually 616 Gwen who gets powers and then goes evil. Funny how that happens.
    Gwen certainly had evil inside her. Think about her treatment of Aunt May. This is a comic that belongs on the pull list.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Gwen certainly had evil inside her. Think about her treatment of Aunt May. This is a comic that belongs on the pull list.
    It’s not like the fandom liked Aunt May. It’s why we’re hoping that she dies.

Radioactive fluids? But instead of killing her, he grants her powers

Quote Originally Posted by Peter D. Parker View Post
    Radioactive fluids? But instead of killing her, he grants her powers
    OMG, this would be worse than I imagined yet also darkly hilarious. Although, it would bring up an interesting question: why does only OG Gwen gain spider-powers in this What If? when in canon we know Peter boinked MJ and Felicia (and debatably a few others) multiple times yet they remained spider-powerless
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    OMG, this would be worse than I imagined yet also darkly hilarious. Although, it would bring up an interesting question: why does only OG Gwen gain spider-powers in this What If? when in canon we know Peter boinked MJ and Felicia (and debatably a few others) multiple times yet they remained spider-powerless
    he didnt do it harder with them easy
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    he didnt do it harder with them easy
    Well, umm, there is the obvious possible reason that he wore protection with them and not her (which I cannot see happening because Peter is all about responsibility) but then we have Reign, so, yeah........
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    https://comicbook.com/comics/news/ma...es-dark-twist/

(Comicbook.com seems to incorrectly list Gerry Duggan as one of the writers at one point, but it is Gerry Conway.)

When does it come out? I'll buy this for a return to The Night Gwen Stacy Died by the guy who wrote it, Gerry Conway.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    This is a comic book. Gwen becoming a supervillain is more likely than her just going to therapy.
    Not every character necessitates a supervillain origin story.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Wait, what are we talking about? What great adaptations?
    I think they're referring to the Playstation game and the MCU.

Aunt May was only good during JMS run. Before that she was annoying and useless. OMD ruined that too.

In regards of this what if? I think the dark thing would be having powers and kill Norman.

Astonishing Member

I'm definitely interested to see this comic.

Only problem here is... How will Gwen gain Spider-Powers here? I mean, Venom's symbiote is still in Battleworld and the Secret Wars hasn't happened yet, so that's out of the picture. My guess? Maybe an experiment from the Jackal with Peter's DNA, like a prototype of "Spider-Island".