Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Marvel Announces new What If comic. What If? Dark. Spider-Gwen

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/ma...es-dark-twist/

Some of Marvel's most classic storylines will be revisited, albeit with a darker twist, in a new volume of What If...?. What If is an out-of-continuity series of stories that typically offer new perspectives and takes on events that readers are familiar with. Marvel Studios even produced a What If...? animated series for Disney+, with Season 2 highly anticipated. Marvel Comics is going back to the What If well once again, and is kicking things off with the classic story of Gwen Stacy's death in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man.
    WHAT IF...? DARK: SPIDER-GWEN #1
    Written by GERRY CONWAY & JODY HOUSER
    Art by RAMON BACHS
    Cover by GREG LAND
    Spider-Legend Gerry Conway returns to his most famous Spider-Story for this WHAT IF along with co-writer Jody Houser!
    WHAT IF Gwen Stacy didn't die on the bridge that day, but Spider-Man DID?!
    'Nuff said, I presume!
    (Comicbook.com seems to incorrectly list Gerry Duggan as one of the writers at one point, but it is Gerry Conway.)

Wonder how she will get spider powers but I will give it a read
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Oh ho, a dark twist on What If? Truly, a departure for a series that typically features scads of recognizable characters getting killed off by the end of any given issue.

But seriously, this looks enjoyable. I like Houser, Conway, and Bachs.

So basically Marvel doing the Dark Multiverse DC did.

It's kind of funny to see Conway writing a Spider-Gwen story. Albeit one where it's actually 616 Gwen who gets powers and then goes evil. Funny how that happens.

Whoa, Conway!?

You gotta respect the guy riffing on his story 50 years after. Reminds me of a Stan Lee X-Men comic from ~2012-2013

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So basically Marvel doing the Dark Multiverse DC did.

It's kind of funny to see Conway writing a Spider-Gwen story. Albeit one where it's actually 616 Gwen who gets powers and then goes evil. Funny how that happens.
    Gwen certainly had evil inside her. Think about her treatment of Aunt May. This is a comic that belongs on the pull list.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Gwen certainly had evil inside her. Think about her treatment of Aunt May. This is a comic that belongs on the pull list.
    It’s not like the fandom liked Aunt May. It’s why we’re hoping that she dies.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    2 great adaptations of spider man did it cmon comics do it
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    2 great adaptations of spider man did it cmon comics do it
    This is a What If comic that is also being marketed as being Dark. Odds are everyone is gonna die in this comic.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

So...Gwen Stacy is going to become The Punisher, right?
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    People don't like Aunt May?
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Don't we already have an AU Spider-Man that is basically that?

And she kind of veered into that as "Night-Gwen."

Only because she was essentually Jokerised by Green Goblin (who was serving as Joker's counterpart in her world). Nightbird was basically supposed to be the Barbara Gordon Batgirl, and the gas turned her into a villain.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    The Gwenisher?

I mean it seems she'll have spider related powers so... who knows.. maybe somehow the Symbiote gets to her and uses her grief over Peter's death. As in this story he dies saving her.

They've done "What if Gwen Stacy lived." as a what-if before where Peter reveals his identity and they get married. So I guess this is the "What if Peter perished instead." variant.

Mighty Member

An interesting concept, though I'm wondering why 616 Gwen would do anything other than being hurt and confused as to her boyfriend being responsible for her father's death and lying to her.

Unless they turn her into some sort of government backed vigilante hunter. Or maybe Norman manipulates Gwen into thinking that he murderered Peter as some sort of twisted retribution for her father, and she becomes his ally. (But even those scenarios seem like a stretch)

But Gerry is probably the best possible choice for this, so I'll probably pick it up. Also, I wonder if he'll give MJ a role in this story.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 03-26-2023 at 10:03 AM.