Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Original Sin, #8

The Orb, Dr. Midas and Oubliette try to pillage the moon, and Uatu's murderer is finally revealed in Jason Aaron and Mike Deodato's "Original Sin" #8.

Full review here.

Awful stuff.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

The review or the issue/series?

review is pretty generous all things considered.

BANNED

2 stars too high tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    The review or the issue/series?
    The series.

Sorry...
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

2 1/2 stars.

I suppose that's a rating compared to other stand-out Events. I think I had greater expectations for this Event than what was delivered. I wanted the dissemination of secrets to be like learning all the secret identities of the super heroes. I think that was expecting too much, as Marvel delivered something way less, exposing just surface secrets engineered to shock, but not really hamper the heroes. I particularly liked the Uncanny X-Men reveals about the uncontrollable mutant, and, who Charles' wife was.

The surprise reveal in all this was Fury himself. I have always wanted to know the full extent of Fury's involvement in the background secrets of what's going on, but I never realised Nick was behaving in this manner all this time. And to learn that there was someone else doing this before even Nick? Well, it goes without saying, McCord must have been some kind of individual. But to take a simple CIA agent, (with a fairly spectacular war record mind you), and offer him a job like Howard Stark offered to Fury, was a great magnitude step above what ever was going on in the Marvel Universe at the time of the Monster Age, and then transitioning into the Silver Age. ( I wonder how Nick Fury dealt with the Sentry, or, was Fury the General who got Mastermind to mind wipe Robert Renolds?). Surprise just doesn't cover this type of role in the world. That we learn Nick Fury was also doing a weekend job nobody ever knew about, except the Watcher, was something way off the planet in terms of degree. People may have been revolted that Fury was doing this type of work, but to me, I always believed there had to be more to what Fury was doing, but this? This was something altogether unusual. Seeing that Fury was going to die, it was nice to learn Furys Original Sin. Everyone hides his secrets when he's alive, and they all come out once they open the boxes after the funeral.

Now that I mentioned Mastermind, I wonder what other super humans Nick Fury knew and got involved with? We know Nick knew Sabretooth, and Namorita, and the Hunter. Did Nick Fury manipulate the super heroes right from the beginning?
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-05-2014 at 08:42 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Awful stuff.
    It really was dreadful, especially the last two issues. Aaron ran out of story and just fluffed it out to the end. I've never understood what people see in his writing.

As expected it's an excuse to push Fury out of the well for the movie/PC-friendly replacement, and even more expected was that Fury did it.

Also the lack of F4 appearing or doing anything relevant in a Watcher-centric story is disgraceful. But Marvel's movie altar is king.

I don't think this event was horrible, I feel like they could have used the characters they brought in such as Ant-man and Moon Knight more then just background art and I could have done without the full issue explaining Nick Fury; however I enjoyed the event overall.

I like all that happened with Bucky and his new status quo, I'm excited for the new Thor, I'm interested to see what they do with Unseen Nick, a more powerful orb, and Oubliette in charge. But more importantly the Tie-ins, the ones I read anyway, were pretty great.

I'm stuck between a 3.5 or a 4 for the entire event.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    As expected it's an excuse to push Fury out of the well for the movie/PC-friendly replacement, and even more expected was that Fury did it.

Also the lack of F4 appearing or doing anything relevant in a Watcher-centric story is disgraceful. But Marvel's movie altar is king.
    Glad I'm not the only one who feela that way.

BANNED

You guys sound like you don't like comics! This was a great event. I loved it! Can't wait for all the new books! Getting ALL of them!

So is that Nick Fury at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathlok2011 View Post
    You guys sound like you don't like comics! This was a great event. I loved it! Can't wait for all the new books! Getting ALL of them!

So is that Nick Fury at the end?
    Yes, we are supposed to assume that is Nick Fury in the cloak dragging a chain, and the explanation boxes telling us he has the watch and not tamper anymore. It's like a hell for Fury, who always tampers with everything. But it is poetic justice, to be made to abide by the Watchers dictum, to observe but never interfere, and this as penance for the murder of Uatu. That's one thing I thought was never addressed completely, that Nick Fury is a murderer, and the murder mystery is solved by shackling Fury on the moon.

BANNED

I haven't read the final issue yet but this whole series was a huge letdown to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dr. Jan itor View Post
    it really was dreadful, especially the last two issues. Aaron ran out of story and just fluffed it out to the end. I've never understood what people see in his writing.
    overrated.